mtbr member
    May 2009

Hobgoblin review

Anyone seen the June mountain bike action review?

mtbr member
    Didn't know there was one! I looked online and didn't see one noted!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yep just picked up the magazine last night its on page 118

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    yeah, it looks like their only problem with it is much like what people have said here. Bars to narrow, stem too short. I think that people are seeing it as more of a trail bike than an XC bike, because the suspension design is so good. I'm pretty sure that MBA said that its a short travel bike that doesn't feel like one.

But stem and bars are very personal, so I don't see how airborne could please everyone. I guess they could include a wider bar with cut marks?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    yeah, it looks like their only problem with it is much like what people have said here. Bars to narrow, stem too short. I think that people are seeing it as more of a trail bike than an XC bike, because the suspension design is so good. I'm pretty sure that MBA said that its a short travel bike that doesn't feel like one.

But stem and bars are very personal, so I don't see how airborne could please everyone. I guess they could include a wider bar with cut marks?
    They complained that the stem was too long and the bars too narrow, and that it was heavy.

While overall it was a good review, I personally wish that MBA and other publications would do a better job of caveating their statements. Meaning that bar/stem stuff is personal, and they should really state that. It's tough to get the right bar width and stem length on there for everyone to make them happy. And where you ride is the dictating factor for bar width really. We're an Ohio company and where we ride most (Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, PA) all of the areas we ride in have these things called trees. 730 bars are not practical, and putting super wide bars on there and expecting for folks to be able to cut them down smaller is sometimes difficult, as the wider the bar generally the wider the buldge at the center. Its a damned it you do, damned if you don't kinda thing. But my opinion is that it truly is an XC bike and should fit like one and be ridden like one.

I guess in a way its cool that publications like Vital and MTB think the suspension works well enough to set it up and ride it like an AM/Trail rig and huck it off of stuff.

And as far as the weight thing goes, its really relative. Compared to other bikes in its category/pricerange its on point and even weighs less in some instances. I wish they'd write things like that versus just saying "its heavy".

But any press is good press!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

NeedGod.com
    I agree with Jeremy about bar width. Here in Iowa, the stock bar is about all I would want. Any wider and I have to really hit the brakes to go between trees. As it is, I have only a centimeter or two on each side, and some I have to put the bar through sideways to be able to fit at all. Still plenty of stability on the downhill stuff, and I huck my Guardian all the time.

But there has to be some negatives in every review. If there wasn't, people wouldn't believe the review was legit. That's probably true about any review.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    weight, bar width (personal pref), and stem length (fit issue)

Id say they were clawing at somthing to find wrong with it. Doesnt really look like any valid gripe looks like a stellar review.

mtbr member
    They should weigh mine! stem doesn't seem to be to long for me. I had actually bought a 50mm stem to put on the bike and ended up selling it! As far as the bars go, I ride a lot of tree lined trails here in Florida and I am not having to do that dance between them anymore! These are grain of salt articles, the overall review was good so party on!!!! Ride it hard this weekend boys and girls ive already put 14 miles on mine today!!! Be safe

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Wish they reviewed the x-0 then I doubt they would say its heavy

mtbr member
    The X-& isn't heavy either its very competitive as far as weights for the same build. You have to remember the people reviewing product usually are used to riding carbon fiber bikes. Fist off from what I've learned from Airborne is they are not out to make a light bike but to make one that fits into what the average range cyclist would ride. my bike the XO model is 28 lbs with pedals. I think the bike is light as I am coming off a 38 lb endure. My buddies Nine rdo is light!!! But is carbon fiber! To many babies out there worried about weight!!! Try XC on my old endure behind a bunch of 29ers!!! You want to talk about a long day!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    The X-7 isn't heavy either its very competitive as far as weights for the same build. You have to remember the people reviewing product usually are used to riding carbon fiber bikes. Fist off from what I've learned from Airborne is they are not out to make a light bike but to make one that fits into what the average range cyclist would ride. my bike the XO model is 28 lbs with pedals. I think the bike is light as I am coming off a 38 lb endure. My buddies Nine rdo is light!!! But is carbon fiber! To many babies out there worried about weight!!! Try XC on my old endure behind a bunch of 29ers!!! You want to talk about a long day!!!