mtbr member
    Jul 2013

HobGoblin rear tire clearance.

I have been riding my HobGob with the stock AKA's all season however the coming of fall has turned most of my usual trails a bit greasy and soft and the AKAs were starting to be a bit sketchy and were packing up with mud.

So on a friends suggestion I bought a pair of schwalbe hans dampfs and mounted them on the bike. Everything seemed to be fine with the bike on the stand or a quick spin around the block.

However once I took it out on the trail I experienced a lot of tire rubbing in the rear, primarily under heavy pedaling or anything that would stress the rear wheel.

I'm not sure if the rubbing is due to the dampfs being wider than the AKAs or having taller knobs or the rear wheel flexing too much (i'm 220lbs) or a combination of all.

Anyways, am I too heavy for the stock wheel? Are the dampfs simply too big of a tire for the rear?

What kind of tires do you all run in the rear for muddy/slick conditions? I'm going to keep the dampf upfront - it really is working very well but I'd like to have something equivalent in the back still.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyrus View Post
    I have been riding my HobGob with the stock AKA's all season however the coming of fall has turned most of my usual trails a bit greasy and soft and the AKAs were starting to be a bit sketchy and were packing up with mud.

So on a friends suggestion I bought a pair of schwalbe hans dampfs and mounted them on the bike. Everything seemed to be fine with the bike on the stand or a quick spin around the block.

However once I took it out on the trail I experienced a lot of tire rubbing in the rear, primarily under heavy pedaling or anything that would stress the rear wheel.

I'm not sure if the rubbing is due to the dampfs being wider than the AKAs or having taller knobs or the rear wheel flexing too much (i'm 220lbs) or a combination of all.

Anyways, am I too heavy for the stock wheel? Are the dampfs simply too big of a tire for the rear?

What kind of tires do you all run in the rear for muddy/slick conditions? I'm going to keep the dampf upfront - it really is working very well but I'd like to have something equivalent in the back still.
    The width of the rear of the HG where the tire sits is 2.75". So a 2.35" tire is going to have .2 inches of clearance on either side. That's not much. It will clear, but you probably will have debris rub and if the wheel is flexing, rub is certain.

Check your rear wheel to ensure the QR is snug and that its not moving because its a little loose. Next, check your spoke tension.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    QR is as tight as I want to make it and the spoke tension seems fine (they all sound similar to each other when plucked).

On close inspection it seems the weld for the vertical support connecting the chainstay on the non-drive side reduces clearance on that side by near half of what it is on the other side. I have confirmed that is where the rubbing is occurring by wiping some chalk on my tire and riding around.

The tire still does clear when ridden smoothly or just spinning the wheel. The clearance is really tight though because of that fat weld. Any stress on the wheel is enough to push it over.

I have since taken the tire off the rear and replaced the AKA. Hans dampfs simply will not work on the rear end of this bike, nor will any 2.35" tire with tall knobs near the edges.

Would love to hear some recommendations for a similar tire that would fit!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm running a 2.2 conti race king with tons of room on the rear of my hobgob. This is a light weight 'race' tire with very small knobs. I have a Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on deck to try after i burn up the conti. The Ikon is very similar to the race king i am running now, neither of those sounds like what you want. The other option to look into if you want a tire with bigger side knobs is the Maxxis Ignitor 2.1.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    For a moment I misread the headline of this post to mean "on clearance", as in "clearance sale". Wondered why the front tire wasn't on clearance, let alone the entire bike. Wishful thinking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Teletodd View Post
    For a moment I misread the headline of this post to mean "on clearance", as in "clearance sale". Wondered why the front tire wasn't on clearance, let alone the entire bike. Wishful thinking.
    $500 off the HobGob X0 or Goblin X0 until Sunday night, 10/12!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm so tempted to order the hobgoblin xo, but I just got my son a Seeker and its enough for now. I get to ride the seeker occasionally, although I have to add air to the rock shock because I weigh more. Otherwise I ride my 1980s Trek 800 sport. Still works great although I miss the seekers air shock. We live 10 minutes from the new Royalview mtn bike trail in Strongsville Ohio. Great trail.
    Regardless, I'm saving up to get my son a new road bike. He's in a bike club at his high school and has been riding my vintage 1990s Concorde Freedom Selectra 12 road bike. He has no problem keeping up with the group, but there's been a lot of advancements in road bikes since 1990. Kind of have my eye on road bikes with disc brakes.