Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hobgoblin First Impressions!

First off before I begin this small review as the weather got crazy in central Florida today! Ran into a fellow Airborne rider today out at the trail with his Skyhawk. I swapped rides with him for a brief spin in the parking lot. Nice to see another Ariborne out today.

Ok, first off I should of went to a 29ner years ago! I never got tired the little bit I was out there. The bike rolls really smooth and shifts effortlessly. The bike climbs so easy I was very shocked and is the reason why im sratching my head for not switching to a 29er a long time ago. I never really changed gears but a couple of time when I was out there. The bike handles the corners great! Got a little skecthy in the sandy spots but most tires do here so I wasnt suprised. Overall it was very impressive. Im really glad I waited for this bike it was totally worth it and was a better choice over the big name brand. I only have one pic from the trail as my ride was cut short by rain and lightning! Ill give a better review next weekend. Great job Airborne this bike owned the trail today and got many many looks. Its a sweet ride. Hobgoblin First Impressions!-img_2445.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review. The Airborne stuff is really a nice option if you want the most bang for your buck.

Have you needed to contact Airborne after your purchase? If so, let us know how good or bad their customer support was.

mtbr member
    Havent had to call Airborne at all but will be calling them to say they make a killer bike. I test rode a Giant Trance X29er and the hobgoblin easily matches up if not better as the components I have giant couldnt touch. Eric and Jeremy from Airborne talked with me during the whole buying process and answered every question I had and believe me I had a ton to ask not only on the phone but through emails also. This company is gonna get big as there are alot of people wanting to get in the sport that just cant afford to pay big bucks to get a mediocre bike. Their X7 Hobgoblin $1749.95 has the same components my Specialized enduro came with and it was $3000. My hobgoblin XO was that much so the math is pretty easy to do. No disrespect to the other bike companys but skipping the middle man is a great way to get people into the sport. I also have a local shop willing to work on my bike also even though I bought elsewhere. Its been a fun and exciting experience and will continue to stay in contact with Eric and Jeremy as they have surpassed all of my expectations of a bike company which I cant say about one of the big companies I wont mention. So if you are looking for a recomendation for a bike. Take a look at Airborne give them a chance. Besides they have a money back gaurantee! Peace

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hey when they do get big you could say I supported them way before they got there. And only bad shops wont work on a bike you get elsewhere. If they wouldn't do it don't support them. Hell my shop was inpressed with the skyhawk when I brought it in for its fork swap this last week. All-in-all great review you did here and continue to ride it hard.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    First off before I begin this small review as the weather got crazy in central Florida today! Ran into a fellow Airborne rider today out at the trail with his Skyhawk. I swapped rides with him for a brief spin in the parking lot. Nice to see another Ariborne out today.
    That was me! Mitch, we should have gotten a group shot.

I wanted to comment on a couple of things I noticed while riding with Mitch. First thing I noticed was my chain was slapping off my chain stay and his wasn't making a sound. The chain on the HobGoblin is way above the chain stay. Second, the first time we went down a drop and started coasting he was gone. That bike will out coast my 26" SkyHawk. Third, he was able to handle the roots and hills better than me and left me behind. I'm sure some of that had to do with his experience and some to do with the light FS 29er.

Sounds like there are a few new Airborne owners in central Florida. We might have to start our own amateur Flight Crew.

PS I'm still loving my SkyHawk even though that HobGoblin is a lot nicer. The SkyHawk is a great starter bike for me. I'm having a blast on it. When my skill level out grows it I plan on upgrading to a nicer Airborne.

Airborne Product Dude
    Are you guys near Ocala? If so I think Dr. Jay lives and rides near there and he has a Goblin XO. My mother-in-law lives in "The Villages" and I get down that way at least every year or so.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Yep! Ill be riding Santos this weekend! Have to let me know when your down for a visit! The bikes awesome! I cant believe how responsive it is! I cant wait for the weekend. Had a couple of buddies entering a race sunday and wanted me to join them but I still need a bit more time on the rig first! Its a 50 mile race! Not ready for 50 yet!

MTB B'dos
    Thanks for the mini review, especially to hear a comparison to the TranceX. Can you elaborate more on the actual pedaling/riding performance of the HobGoblin as compared to the TranceX? I'd grab one up in an instant, IF, the offered the frameset only in the blue the completes come in.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    The Pedaling of the Hobgoblin was very very smooth, the suspension front and rear responded very well on a mixed bag of trail I rode this weekend. Rode over logs, few drops, switch backs and the bike was awesome. No bob noticed at all on climbs which made me very happy! The elixer 9 brakes were perfect. The bike is very fast. Its the first time ive done a lap on this trail and wasnt tired! However, I am coming off a beast of a bike (specialized enduro) which was probably around 38 lbs! Shifting was flawless but as far as shifting goes I didnt do hardly at all. The 29er did all the work. Very comfortable bike. Cant wait to see how it does long distance. May even go ahead and convert it over to tubless this weekend. Oh yeah the blue frame is awesome. Love my stealthy looking XO though! Peace

mtbr member
    Also as far as the giant goes, its a very similar ride. However my bike has an XO setup so was easy to feel the difference in shifting with no disrespect to the sram s1000, X7 shifters and X9 rD. Also the trance felt more slack as it has a 120MM fork so that was a little different.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Are you guys near Ocala?

Jeremy
    Yeah man, about 60 miles east. Come on down and visit us. Bring some demo bikes if you want

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yep! Ill be riding Santos this weekend! Have to let me know when your down for a visit! The bikes awesome! I cant believe how responsive it is! I cant wait for the weekend. Had a couple of buddies entering a race sunday and wanted me to join them but I still need a bit more time on the rig first! Its a 50 mile race! Not ready for 50 yet!
    Are you riding in the HammerHead 100, or just riding casually some other time? If the former, I might need to find you in the pits so I can finally see the HobGoblin in person!

MTB B'dos
    This has been asked before and quite honestly I don't get the why of it, but I think it would be a sweet ride with a 120mm fork, only 20mm more than stock, yet Airbourne says WARRANTY VOID if you do this, whereas Giant gave the OK when I had my 100m Trance to run up to a 140mm fork on it - more confidence in their product vs Airbourne?
    Also as far as the giant goes, its a very similar ride. However my bike has an XO setup so was easy to feel the difference in shifting with no disrespect to the sram s1000, X7 shifters and X9 rD. Also the trance felt more slack as it has a 120MM fork so that was a little different.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Well the Hobgoblin from what I understand was designed around a 100MM fork and wasnt tested with anyother travel from what I know. So im guessing they are protecting themselves because they never tested it with any other. I know someone that has put I think a 140MM on his hobgoblin and loves it. Hes on this forum a lot jhazard is his name on here so he could fill you in on that if you are looking for an opinion on travel with this frame. I think the hobgoblin is set up and designed for more of a XC setting as its actually more like the anthem not the trance as the anthem has 100mm fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D0rk View Post
    Are you riding in the HammerHead 100, or just riding casually some other time? If the former, I might need to find you in the pits so I can finally see the HobGoblin in person!
    Im not running in the race but will be out there sunday! If your running in it good luck.

mtbr member

Hobgoblin First Impressions!

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Thanks for the mini review, especially to hear a comparison to the TranceX. Can you elaborate more on the actual pedaling/riding performance of the HobGoblin as compared to the TranceX? I'd grab one up in an instant, IF, the offered the frameset only in the blue the completes come in.
    I grabbed Airborne's 19" blue HobGoblin X7 demo for a test ride today. What an awesome bike! If I get one (which is very highly likely but not until August) I would be more than willing to swap frames with you if you buy the orange frame set. I like both colors.

Airborne Product Dude
    This has been asked before and quite honestly I don't get the why of it, but I think it would be a sweet ride with a 120mm fork, only 20mm more than stock, yet Airbourne says WARRANTY VOID if you do this, whereas Giant gave the OK when I had my 100m Trance to run up to a 140mm fork on it - more confidence in their product vs Airbourne?

As I've stated before, it has nothing to do with "confidence", it has to do with design and testing. The HG was designed around 100mm of travel and tested to that parameter. Its a 100mm dual suspension XC frame.

A longer fork increases the amount of stress on the frame (not to mention BB height, angles, and ride quality). We can't offer a warranty on something that isn't tested to 120mm or 140mm.

I'm certain that if Giant claims that their bike is good with a 140mm fork on there, then they tested to that.

We don't sell anything that isn't ridden by us first and tested properly. To tell people that 120mm and 140mm forks are also OK, we would have to do our due dilligence of testing to both of those travel lengths ($$$$$$$$$) and spend additional time ensuring the bike rides and performs up to our expecations in those configurations. All of that adds time and money. All of which would have to be passed along to the end consumer. Given the fact that the majority of the customers that buy an HG would never change the fork out from 100mm, why would they want to pay more $$ for something that would never utilize.

I'm sorry but we can't please everyone, as you so regularly point out.

We are quite happy with the frame and travel as is, and have no plans to change that.

Thanks for your input,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

MTB B'dos
    That's the BIGGEST load of BS I've read in a while! If the bike was properly tested, then you would have had a few testers from your Airbourne crew around the globe test it with at least a 120mm fork, if not 140mm. Now how in the hell you can BS and say that'd cost a load more for one or two testers to test outside the design parameters is beyond me, that should be part of any proper testing period, PERIOD, your full of **it and if you didn't test it to that extent, then even more so and exactly what I originally said, just the same frame as the Fezzarri with maybe some small tweaks thrown in that the manufacture who designed it, said it could take without worrying about having to test and maybe differentiate it a bit from the Fezzarri.

As I've stated before, it has nothing to do with "confidence", it has to do with design and testing. The HG was designed around 100mm of travel and tested to that parameter. Its a 100mm dual suspension XC frame.

A longer fork increases the amount of stress on the frame (not to mention BB height, angles, and ride quality). We can't offer a warranty on something that isn't tested to 120mm or 140mm.

I'm certain that if Giant claims that their bike is good with a 140mm fork on there, then they tested to that.

We don't sell anything that isn't ridden by us first and tested properly. To tell people that 120mm and 140mm forks are also OK, we would have to do our due dilligence of testing to both of those travel lengths ($$$$$$$$$) and spend additional time ensuring the bike rides and performs up to our expecations in those configurations. All of that adds time and money. All of which would have to be passed along to the end consumer. Given the fact that the majority of the customers that buy an HG would never change the fork out from 100mm, why would they want to pay more $$ for something that would never utilize.

I'm sorry but we can't please everyone, as you so regularly point out.

We are quite happy with the frame and travel as is, and have no plans to change that.

Thanks for your input,

Jeremy
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think it goes beyond just testing by having people riding the frame with different for travels. I believe that there is an international safety standard that needs to be met, and a frame has to tested and certified with each fork travel. I'm sure to test with with each travel costs $.
    I'm sure this is a legal matter, representatives of Airborne cannot recommend using the frame outside of its tested design parameters, because then if for some reason someone gets hurt by doing so they are legal liable.
    I think Airborne has every confidence in their product. If you read between the lines a little, it seems that he is saying:
    He can't tell you that you should use a longer fork, but that he can't stop you if you decide to try it(wink, wink, nudge ,nudge), and that it could work, but he is legally obligated to tell you that doing so would be operating outside of its tested design parameters, and your safety may be at risk.

Of course I could be way off. Its been know to happen.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    That's the BIGGEST load of BS I've read in a while! If the bike was properly tested, then you would have had a few testers from your Airbourne crew around the globe test it with at least a 120mm fork, if not 140mm. Now how in the hell you can BS and say that'd cost a load more for one or two testers to test outside the design parameters is beyond me, that should be part of any proper testing period, PERIOD, your full of **it and if you didn't test it to that extent, then even more so and exactly what I originally said, just the same frame as the Fezzarri with maybe some small tweaks thrown in that the manufacture who designed it, said it could take without worrying about having to test and maybe differentiate it a bit from the Fezzarri.

With all due respect, you don't understand my point.

"Testing" means mechanical testing, following a defined set of protocols that include pedal fatigue testing, bump tests, etc.It's an extensive 5-part test that costs a great deal of money and has to be done at an independant, accredited lab. It's not a guy putting a fork on a bike and riding around with it for a time period and then saying it's "OK".

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

MTB Fanatic
    Sounds to me like the bike was tested for XC riding and that's its intended purpose. It also sounds like Airborne will have other bikes tested for DH purposes and I'm betting they will have higher travel and all that. So what's the problem? If you want a bike with higher travel, buy a different bike!

And it's always best practice not to argue with the customer. Let the critics beat their own heads against the wall so you don't have to.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Mithc1171 - thanks for the info. What did you think of the quality of construction? Were the welds good, bad or just so-so? I'd be interested in knowing if there have been apparent shortcuts taken in the construction.... What were the Airborne branded parts like?

Resident Gear Head
    It's not a guy putting a fork on a bike and riding around with it for a time period and then saying it's "OK".

Thanks,

Jeremy
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Wow! I started a Bomb thread. First off "cant we all get along"? Jeremy is correct the testing is more complicated than just having a couple of guys go out and test. With that said anyone who has question regarding the strength of the Hobgoblin feel free to ask Jerry Hazard, he has a longer fork on his and the dude shreds and has had no problems! Jerry anytime you want to chime in! LOL. As far as the welds and constrcution of the bike it has very clean welds and the construction is on the same level of any other bike company. If people have a problem with Airborne they will go elsewhere and are free to their opinions. I also have an enduro, great bike but im looking to do more cross country style riding and went with the hobgoblin as it is very similar in geomtry as the giant bikes i was looking at. However I am also concerened about spending a ton on upgrades and is why I wnet with the Hobgoblin XO. Aftert talking with Eric and Jeremy on the specs and construction of the bike I made my final decesion to get the bike as it fit my budget and needs for the type of riding i will be doing. For a couple hundred dollars less I would have got the new anthem which also has 100MM fork on it but I opted for the XO package which is very, very nice. Airborne has its standards and so does everyother bike company. So if you dont like how somebody does business go somewhere else if unsure about a product. I stand by my purchase. We should celebrate new companies and product not criticise other peoples standards. I love you all and think we can all appreciate that we are all apart of this big mountainbike family. Opinions are tuff. Lets except and move on. Peace!

mtbr member
    With all due respect, you don't understand my point.

"Testing" means mechanical testing, following a defined set of protocols that include pedal fatigue testing, bump tests, etc.It's an extensive 5-part test that costs a great deal of money and has to be done at an independant, accredited lab. It's not a guy putting a fork on a bike and riding around with it for a time period and then saying it's "OK".

Thanks,

Jeremy
    I am an engineer in this type of test lab and I can say without doubt that this testing is very expeinsive. A small independant company like airborne has to conform just as the big names do. I assure you that the big names are certainly are passing this cost on to their customers as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast