mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Hey Airborne! Here is a suggestion!

650b is growing in popularity at an exponential rate, and right now, I'd say the demand exceeds supply. This is a great opportunity to get a jump start on some big name bike companies who are opting NOT to add 650b into their product lineups, at least not yet. I'd encourage you to add some of these bikes into your product lineup so that you can make lots of money and get some more customers. I don't currently have an Airborne bike, but I've heard good things and would certainly consider buying one, especially if you add 650b to your lineup.

On an related note, another area where there is lots of demand is fat tire bikes. I'm not sure if this would be quite as popular or profitable as 650b, but I've seen multiple request for a fat tire bike in another big name "internet bike" company thread listed on the mtbr forums. Since there is good demand for both 650b and fat tire bikes, and these bikes are often sold for inflated prices by other bike manufactures, my guess is that a quality bike made by Airborne in these categories at reduced prices would be highly appealing to consumers.

If you had to choose just one of these product offerings, while the market for a fat tire bike is not quite as high and is more risky, I'd say you can't go wrong with a 650b! Just thought I'd give you a heads up...not to say that you aren't already aware!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    And another suggestion--
    When you run out of dual air Rebas for the new Goblin another option than the solo air model would be stronger. Manitou Tower Pro. Very user freindly with the compresion shim stack.

Airborne Product Dude
    I won't say much other than we are already working on one of the products you mention above.

As far as the shock suggestion goes, the Tower Pro is a good shock and I like the guys a lot over there at Hayes/Manitou/SunRingle. The OE cost is more on the Tower Pro so that would change the MSRP on the bike...................something that folks may not like.

Suggestions are always welcome, so feel free to keep the line of open communication open, thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    More 'cross!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Maybe just add the Tower Pro as a possible add on if you get my drift? Like a non mandatory upgrade. Instead of paying full price for the Tower and the Reba you get just the Tower for a little bit extra.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbman View Post
    Maybe just add the Tower Pro as a possible add on if you get my drift? Like a non mandatory upgrade. Instead of paying full price for the Tower and the Reba you get just the Tower for a little bit extra.

Unfortunately that would be even more costly for us and not fit in with our business model. If we had to stock extra forks and then deal with the headaches of opening up boxes and swapping out forks on bikes that are already built we would incur even more extra cost and would pass that along to the consumer. Plus then we would be stuck with the Reba RL's that we took off the bikes. Our agreements with our suppliers don't permit us to sell individual pieces/parts other than for a warranty situation (this is true for most manufacturers).

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

NeedGod.com
    I'd second the demand for 650b. You can pick up a quality fatbike for around $1800 so I don't know if I'd call that inflated. But I have yet to see any 650b's out there, at least in my area. I would certainly give them a serious look if given the chance.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Another vote for 650B, with no competition for Trek, Specialized, or Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I won't say much other than we are already working on one of the products you mention above.
    Thanks for responding to the post! From reading the Hobgoblin thread, it sounds like you are having issues with supplying the bikes with the right parts and are forced to push release dates back. I understand if you are not able to say much about the release of the 650b/fat tire mystery bike. However, do you have any kind of estimated release time frame at all? Are we talking closer to January or May? Or sometime in 2015? Thanks!

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Thanks for responding to the post! From reading the Hobgoblin thread, it sounds like you are having issues with supplying the bikes with the right parts and are forced to push release dates back. I understand if you are not able to say much about the release of the 650b/fat tire mystery bike. However, do you have any kind of estimated release time frame at all? Are we talking closer to January or May? Or sometime in 2015? Thanks!
    Um.......

Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer

Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Um.......
    The good news is that I don't plan to buy right away, but probably will be by the end of the year. The bad news is that if I have no idea when you might come out with the product when I'm ready to buy, I would have to purchase elsewhere...

Airborne Product Dude
    The good news is that I don't plan to buy right away, but probably will be by the end of the year. The bad news is that if I have no idea when you might come out with the product when I'm ready to buy, I would have to purchase elsewhere...
    Often people say to us that one of the things they like about our small company is that we are good at communicating and including our customers in on what goes on behind the scenes.

We do our best to let you guys know what's going on, but there are some times when we can't tell you everything: whether that's because specs/costing aren't finalized, we are working on something that is proprietary, or just because from a marketing standpoint its too early to let the entire cat out of the bag.

If giving folks snippets of stuff that we are working on causes problems, we'll stop doing it.

In the case of "this product", its too early to tell you anything. If that causes you to shop elsewhere because you need to buy something and we aren't ready yet to announce it or sell it, then it wasn't meant to be.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Often people say to us that one of the things they like about our small company is that we are good at communicating and including our customers in on what goes on behind the scenes.

We do our best to let you guys know what's going on, but there are some times when we can't tell you everything: whether that's because specs/costing aren't finalized, we are working on something that is proprietary, or just because from a marketing standpoint its too early to let the entire cat out of the bag.

If giving folks snippets of stuff that we are working on causes problems, we'll stop doing it.

In the case of "this product", its too early to tell you anything. If that causes you to shop elsewhere because you need to buy something and we aren't ready yet to announce it or sell it, then it wasn't meant to be.

Jeremy
    Its cool. Its understandable that you wouldn't want to let the cat out of the bag too soon, and I'm sure it creates some awkward situations, such as what you are dealing with all of the delays on the Hobgoblin. What I was trying to get at is that if a customer is ready to buy in 3 months, and you have a product that is coming out in 6 months, he might be willing to give your company a chance and wait. If, however, he is totally in the dark and might have to wait 1 year or 2 years, and has no clue when a product is going to be released, he is probably going to go elsewhere. Unless he is a Star Wars or Lord of the Rings fan.

Airborne Product Dude
    If, however, he is totally in the dark and might have to wait 1 year or 2 years, and has no clue when a product is going to be released, he is probably going to go elsewhere. Unless he is a Star Wars or Lord of the Rings fan.
    LOL! Good reference.

What if we release it, then decide years later it wasn't the way we wanted to do it, so we take all of the bikes back and make them what we thought they should be?
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    LOL! Good reference.

What if we release it, then decide years later it wasn't the way we wanted to do it, so we take all of the bikes back and make them what we thought they should be?
    You become Darth Vader. Or Gullum. You discover that the ring is too heavy of a burden to carry, or you get seduced by the Dark side of the force. Either way, you lose...

What?
    Tower Pro would be worth a raise in MSRP, but many riders don't realize how much better a shimmed damper is and would prefer a Rock Shox fork over a Manitou because they don't know any better. I hate to say it, but have the lesser fork in this case would likely sell more bikes.

Airborne Product Dude
    You become Darth Vader. Or Gullum. You discover that the ring is too heavy of a burden to carry, or you get seduced by the Dark side of the force. Either way, you lose...
    I was thinking more like George Lucas.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Anxiously awaiting an announcement on a 650b option, which is why I've been and will hold on purchasing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Tower Pro would be worth a raise in MSRP, but many riders don't realize how much better a shimmed damper is and would prefer a Rock Shox fork over a Manitou because they don't know any better. I hate to say it, but have the lesser fork in this case would likely sell more bikes.
    Hate to resurrect the subject, but... I'd like to add my $.02 on this.

I have a Guardian that i upgraded with a Reba. It was a tough decision between the Tower Pro and the Reba, and I'm not entirely sure I made the right one. The Tower Pro to me still seems to be the superior fork. However, it is problematic for me because of my weight. At 240lbs now and 270 when I bought the Reba, I would require either their "X-Firm", or the "Clyde/XX-Firm" ride kit in order for this fork to work for me. If I could find and purchase those spring kits, I would purchase a Tower today. But those kits seem to be in high demand and Manitou doesn't seem to be keeping up, because I can't find them.

I think Airborne has made the right decision sticking with the Reba. Reba is a one fork fits all (or almost all) size riders solution. And that's why I bought it. If I could find the spring for the Tower Pro, I wouldn't have a problem with tearing down my fork and swapping them out. But I know that I am not the norm. I also know how disappointing it is to get your new bike find find out you will need either a new fork, or a spring upgrade kit for it to work properly for you. My Guardian cam with the XC 28 Mg. Not fat boy approved. But at the Guardian price I was willing to upgrade. Overall I paid another $250 to upgrade to the Reba. the XC 28 sold for $100.

Which leads me to my next point. If you don't like the the included fork, why not get what you like, and sell the Reba? I see them go for pretty close to tower money on fleabay all the time. I guess it comes down to the fact that you can't please everyone, so Airborne chooses to try to please most people, and the Reba is a better solution for that.
    Last edited by swildnm; 12-31-2012 at 01:57 PM.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post

I have a Guardian that i upgraded with a Reba. It was a tough decision between the Tower Pro and the Reba, and I'm not entirely sure I made the right one. The Tower Pro to me still seems to be the superior fork. However, it is problematic for me because of my weight. At 240lbs now and 270 when I bought the Reba, I would require either their "X-Firm", or the "Clyde/XX-Firm" ride kit in order for this fork to work for me. If I could find and purchase those spring kits, I would purchase a Tower today. But those kits seem to be in high demand and Manitou doesn't seem to be keeping up, because I can't find them.

I think Airborne has made the right decision sticking with the Reba. Reba is a one fork fits all (or almost all) size riders solution. And that's why I bought it. If I could find the spring for the Tower Pro, I wouldn't have a problem with tearing down my fork and swapping them out. But I know that I am not the norm. I also know how disappointing it is to get your new bike find find out you will need either a new fork, or a spring upgrade kit for it to work properly for you. My Guardian cam with the XC 28 Mg. Not fat boy approved. But at the Guardian price I was willing to upgrade. Overall I paid another $250 to upgrade to the Reba. the XC 28 sold for $100.

Which leads me to my next point. If you don't like the the included fork, why not get what you like, and sell the Reba? I see them go for pretty close to tower money on fleabay all the time. I guess it comes down to the fact that you can't please everyone, so Airborne chooses to try to please most people, and the Reba is a better solution for that.
    For your situation, a Reba makes more sense. And you could just sell the Reba to make the switch. Heavier riders like yourself could also sell the Manitou to make the switch to the Reba. Either way, the same thing would get accomplished. Either way, I think Airborne made the right choice just because the name recognition of Rock Shox will sell more bikes then Manitou.

As for finding springs, Ride kits should start showing up on pricepoint shortly. Until then, the best way to get springs is to find the part number in the Manitou tech guides, or email Manitou to get them. Then take the part number into a local shop and have them order it for you. They are hard to come by online, so shopping locally seems to be the best way.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post

Thanks for that well-thought-out comment.

What you stated above is similar to the thought process we go through here when spec'ing bikes. Often concessions or compromises have to be made and we know that we can't make the perfect bike for everyone. We try to make the best bike we can for the money and make most people happy.

If I had my way every bike would be black or white and have XX/XO and a SID on it, but I know that I have to make bikes that are not just for me.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    More 'cross.....

mtbr member
    Threads like this are what keep this public servant saving his pennies to one day own an Airborne!!
    There is not company out there that you can get this type of communication from!

Lucky for me, I'm not able to even pull the trigger for at least a year, so I'm excited to see what the future holds for Airborne!

Thanks for always keeping us in the loop, Jeremy! Albeit a vague one at times!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)