mtbr member

Here is what happens when you don't pay attention...

What's the saying? Oh yeah, you better check yourself before you wreck yourself...

I got a bit too hot on a section of trail today which resulted in the untimely death of a San Marco seat. I zigged instead of zagged, and sat when I should have stood up - resulting in a nicely timed punch right in the taint. Yeah. Standing is a good thing.

Taint_nothin_but_a_taint_thang by s0ul_chicken, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jesus thats some serious force to the grundle... Ive attended a motocross lesson and the instructor made us ride laps without a seat to force us to be on the pegs at all times...Riding a bike without a seat prob isnt a good idea though because that would surely result in some form of penetration

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Gah. Can't even imagine how hard you must have hit that to bend it like that. And how uncomfortable that must have been.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Ouch!

Last year while on a ride at Versailles SP, I cam down rather hard on the seat and actually broke my seatpost. I was about 4 miles out from the parking lot and had to ride out with no seat and post. You don't realize how much you use your seat until you ride that far on the trail without it.

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    Ouch! Was the seat slammed all the way back in the rails?

mtbr member
    Yeah, that one hurt enough that I saw through time and space. I did have the rails all the way back, which is a no-no, but I was compensating for the seatpost. My Cobalt 2 seatpost should arrive today with a 400mm length (if you haven't been to www.theclymb.com, go now!). I have the post right above the max marking, but could use another half an inch on leg extension. The landing hurt, but my right thigh above the knee has some nice bruising, and a couple of puncture marks on the left shin from catching the Origin 8 platforms. Needless to say, I didn't mind standing for a few hours after that ride.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    I did have the rails all the way back, which is a no-no, but I was compensating for the seatpost.
    Can you clarify this? Do you need a setback seatpost? Why not have the saddle positioned as far back as possible?
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Now you can dump that uncomfortable seat in the trash and get a better one! Grin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    Can you clarify this? Do you need a setback seatpost? Why not have the saddle positioned as far back as possible?
    Yep, I do - 20mm setback on the new post. Don't get me wrong, you can have the seat back as far as possible, but you can damage the seat on a hard landing without any real support in the back - which is what happened to me. I don't know for sure if the same amount of damage would occur with the seat further up. I do know that having a seat all the way back like that is usually a fitment issue, with a longer seatpost being one of the corrections.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, I guess that means I need a set back seatpost.

I run my saddle all the way back, but I also like to run the saddle lower on my MTB. Helps with my confidence.

I'm a heavy dude so I'm surprised I haven't tweaked the rails on any of my saddles yet.
    Eric

mtbr member
    I am shy of 200, and this is the first seat I have ever damaged. If you are in the market for a seatpost, go to www.theclymb.com - they have several there and they are dirt cheap.

I got a Crank Bros Cobalt 2 seatpost for 29 - amazon stocks it for 72. I also ordered a Crank Bros Cobalt 3 700mm XC riser for 23 - amazon stocks it for 72 as well. Hurry up and wait, as they are going to be here today!!

mtbr member

Re: Here is what happens when you don't pay attention...

I have a truvativ stylo t30 post and I love it! 25mm setback and the clamps are longer so it gives plenty of support for the seat rails

mtbr member
    Nice! I didn't think they made longer than 20mm setbacks, I guess I should have researched a bit more, but I really cannot complain due to the pricing. I picked up a seat this morning that has Ti rails, so I am hoping for more rigidity.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Unfortunately looks like I missed the Cobalt Bros deal on theclymb. No huge rush... I'm comfortable enough for this season. My riding weight is up around 250 so its bound to happen eventually I suppose.

Glad you didn't end up injured in the worst way possible though!
    Eric

mtbr member
    You and me both!! It could have been much, much worse.

Don't sweat theclymb, they rotate items weekly so be sure to check back.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You and me both!! It could have been much, much worse.

Don't sweat theclymb, they rotate items weekly so be sure to check back.

I always keep my eyes on it, got a great deal on a few things for the wife, but must have missed it. I did find the Truvativ post with 25mm setback on pricepoint for $15 and I am really getting tired of the red saddle on my orange and gray Seeker so it may just have to be a package deal for me.
    Eric

mtbr member
    The rails on my seat are bending, too. I ride pretty hard and I'm weighing in a touch over 225lbs so, yeah, bound to happen.

mtbr member

Most of the seat bending issue is poor technique, ya gotta get out of the saddle over the rough stuff! But having the seat all the way back definitely makes it worse

mtbr member
    Yep, I agree on the technique - I am just glad no-one saw it happen on the trail as I am sure it would have been a very funny fail!

mtbr member

Yep, I agree on the technique - I am just glad no-one saw it happen on the trail as I am sure it would have been a very funny fail!
    For sure! My worst wreck was kinda similar, apparently I wasn't hovering quite high enough over a rough section and the seat came up and hit me (luckily it was more buttcheek than taint) so hard it knocked me OTB.... Thankfully I landed in a sage bush and not on a rock!

mtbr member
    I know I learned my lesson! Good stuff, looking forward to seeing another Goblin out here next season 8iking!

mtbr member
    What's the saying? Oh yeah, you better check yourself before you wreck yourself...
    I like the "Top Gun" version better:

"Son you're writing checks that your saddle can't cash."

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    Now that is a good one! HA!