mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Help Tuning New Skyhawk Bike

so i finally had a chance to put together the bike, but before putting up the bike i notice 2 tiny scratch, paint scratch pretty much, the disc seems to be bent a little, its no biggie. to summary some mistakes that i made
    -while i was messing around with the calibers trying to adjust it some oil leak off the line, now there is no tension in it, the lever can touch the grip. not a good sign, it does not stop at all how can i fix this problem? and how do i adjust the brake calibers
    - how do i adjust front and rear derailer. Airborne is closed tomorrow. I really want to test out the bike
    thank you in advance
    Last edited by dbigfot111; 03-01-2013 at 10:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    you might have loosened the bleed screw, might have to rebleed the system. youtube has some video on adjusting derailleur, i used this one to help me adjust mine, Bicycle Maintenance: How To Adjust a Rear Derailleur - YouTube but if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself, your better off having a shop do it, usually shop charge $15 to $20 for each derailleur

mtbr member
    Hey there, sorry to hear about your troubles. It sounds like you've loosened the bleed screw and compromised the system by allowing air to get in the line. The brakes will now need to be bled. I recommend to go to a local shop and have them bleed the brakes as it can be a complicated job for a novice bike mechanic, but for a trained mechanic it only take a few minutes with the correct tools. While you are there, have them do a quick tune on the RD since they will have the bike in the stand anyway.

Sorry again for your troubles,

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer