Heads up for Taka owners

Printable View

• 01-17-2013
    BoozeFahba
    Heads up for Taka owners
    This is a friendly heads up for anyone who has a Taka. The 888 rv that comes equip on the Taka is a 2007 model. And yes, it's a pretty big difference. The 2007 has smaller stanchions (35mm instead of the 2011s 38mm) and different size springs. Unfortunately, I had to find this out the hard way because the fork comes with *2011 decals*. Airborne also described the fork as a 2011 OEM product. Insert my confusion here. The problem here is that eventually we'll all need to replace the seals, change the oil and maybe even change the springs. It's important to know the actual model year of the fork before making any changes or replacing worn parts. In my case, I bought stiffer springs and they didn't fit. Now I'm out some $. Now I'm annoyed. So today I visited the Airborne site and talked to someone via the live help...Here's how that went,

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'airborne'

you: hey

airborne: Hi, what can I help you with?

you: i bought a taka about a year and a half ago. i was wondering what year the fork model is. I need to change the seals

airborne: 2011 OEM hence that is why the decals don't look like retail .

airborne: 888 RV

you: yup

you: are you sure?

you: i was on the marz website and the fork looks like a 2007 model

you: 2007 has different size stanchions and i don't want to buy the wrong seals, you know?

airborne: we bought them from Marz as 2011.

airborne: You may wish to contact Marz and give them the # on the fork. They produced it they will know what year it is..

airborne: They we sold to us as 2011 year model forks.

you: ok well im on the marz website now and the 2011 lowers look nothing like the ones i have unfortunatley

you: they look like the 2007s

you: just sucks cause i thought they were 2011 and i bought stiffer springs awhile ago and they didn't fit

airborne: They fork is a OE 2011 It is unchanged from the 2007.... The fork is sold OE in 2011 and it's the same as the 2007... really you may need to call them in you need intimate details on the fork. So buy the 2007 rebuild kit.

you: ok that's what i'm saying

you: they had the 2011 decals so im sure im not the first to have this issue

airborne: Yes.. OE stuff is sold as 2011 but seems the internals are the same as the 2007.. so yeah you'll be good to go with the 2007 kit.

you: ok thanks. just would have been cool if you listed it as a 2007 model to avoid future confussion

airborne: I'll pass that on to the PM

you: sounds good, thanks

airborne: yep...
  • 01-17-2013
    BigDaddyFlyer
    I've adressed this on the forum in the past.

While that version of the fork was no longer made for AFTERMARKET sales after 2007, it was available as an OE model thru 2011. There were plenty of other manufacturers using the same fork after 2007 just like we did.

We didn't order the fork with any specific decals: that's how it was supplied to us from Marzocchi. It's not our product.

So there was no sense in listing it as a 2007, as indeed it was a 2011 OE fork. There are plenty of instances out there of parts being specific OE parts versus aftermarket over the counter parts.

Thanks,

Jeremy
  • 01-17-2013
    BoozeFahba
    I understand all that. But this situation does still cause a good amount of confusion. Enough where you had to address this situation in the past as well. I'd just like to see this resolved somehow. It's borderline false advertising by Marzocchi. Taking dated products, slapping new model stickers on them and selling them to bike dealers on the cheap. Sucks for hard working consumers (like me) who look at websites like yours and see what appears to be one thing and it's not. Why not list the forks specific stats on your website since you're aware of this issue. Yes, this is an issue.
  • 01-17-2013
    BigDaddyFlyer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BoozeFahba View Post
    I understand all that. But this situation does still cause a good amount of confusion. Enough where you had to address this situation in the past as well. I'd just like to see this resolved somehow. It's borderline false advertising by Marzocchi. Taking dated products, slapping new model stickers on them and selling them to bike dealers on the cheap. Sucks for hard working consumers (like me) who look at websites like yours and see what appears to be one thing and it's not. Why not list the forks specific stats on your website since you're aware of this issue. Yes, this is an issue.

I think you are the second, maybe third person to mention it. Out of hundreds of Takas sold. I wouldn't call it a "good amount of confusion", but I can understand you being upset if you purchased the wrong parts.

All it says on our Taka site was that it is a 888RV. We don't use year ratings on our parts or bikes for that matter.

When going to purchase parts for rebuilds, it's always best to check and double check that you are ordering and receiving the correct part. I don't know if "dated" is the correct word, its an OE part. They didn't have them laying around in their warehouse for 3-4 years before we bought them. It's their OE 888RV. When you contact Marz for parts, telling them that info should be enough.

Again it's unfortunate that you are upset but frankly we can't run other people's business for them, and we can't go on our website and list every single nuance about every part on a bike. It's not practical.

Jeremy
  • 01-17-2013
    BoozeFahba
    Just so we're clear, I'm not blaming you or Airborne. I like you guys. Eric has always been awesome when it comes to customer service. And overall the Taka has been a great bike so far. I would just like to see you guys be the first to represent that fork for what it is. However you guys do it that's up to you. The fork is the only part on the bike that represents this issue. It wouldn't be impractical to address it.
    And as far as "dated" goes. It's a 6 year old design. There's no denying that.
  • 01-18-2013
    BigDaddyFlyer
    OK, thanks for the input.

Since we aren't making this Taka anymore, and are sold-out, we'll keep this information in mind for future models.

Jeremy