mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Haymaker 1500 vs. Airborne Spectre vs. Cliff 4900 vs. Trek 3700 vs. 500HT

Disclaimer: I realize you see my 4 post count (I have been lurking for 9 months), a lot of the regular posters are LBS groupies and hate bikesdirect.com, and I am asking a relatively familiar question. BUT...

Most of you know components better than me. I am trying to stay under $400 but will go up a few bucks if the value is there. I am not an avid rider, I just want the best bang for the buck in my price range. I am currently leaning towards the Spectre just because its on sale and can be delivered to a local store for free but I am open to other opinions.

For the money which is the best value?

Dawes Haymaker 1500 @ $419
    Airborne Spectre @ $315 (plus pedals)
    Windsor 4900 @429
    Trek 3700 Disc @ $419
    Motobecane 500HT @ $350 (I hate the color yellow)
    And just to throw it in: Gravity Base Camp 2.0 for $290

Feel free to suggest anything else that would be comprable and a better deal. I just want the best bike for around $400. I dont care about $500-600 bikes. I appreciate there are a lot of great bikes out there in that price range and above but I am confident I can get a good bike in my range.

Must be able to pick up or ship to Cincinnati, Ohio.

mtbr member
    In that price range you will not get a good value from a trek or specialized. It just hard for them to give you a good bike at that price when they consider there name alone to be worth $150 dollars.

If you what to test ride bikes before you buy (I like to but, this is not a requirment for you) try Performance Bikes there is one in Cincinnati. They are a big chain store that sell bikes that don't have the bling factor of Trek or Specialized. I have mixed feeling about my local performance but I like the value and warranty.

DynoDon
    You missed this one... good luck.. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...che_disc_2.htm

mtbr member
    Agree with FP72, go to a Performance Bike and see what they have to offer. The local store to me has pretty good guys working at it.

They offer decent bikes around that price...depending on what is for sale. Look around for discount coupons as well. Not out of the ordinary to find 20% off stuff. Plus you can get fit there and get your bike serviced.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks manabiker. Are you implying the GT bike is a better overall value than the others I listed?

Performance only has Fuji's in my price range.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by phiberoptik
    Thanks manabiker. Are you implying the GT bike is a better overall value than the others I listed?

Performance only has Fuji's in my price range.

Nothing at all wrong with Fuji. There is a lot to be said for being able to throw a leg over a bike and actually being able to test ride them.

JRA
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker
    That's a pretty good price compared to other places it is available. However, you need to put it together yourself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Anyone have experience with the bikes I listed above or the GT Avalance 2.0 that manabiker listed?

Not interested in local shops. Due to work schedule I cannot get to them when they are open and when I have been to them I am lucky to find anything under $400.

mtbr member
    Anyone have experience with the bikes I listed above or the GT Avalance 2.0 that manabiker listed?.
    I've purchased two BD bikes; a 700HT about a year ago then recently a Fly Pro. Looking at the BD bikes and you saying "I hate the color yellow" I like the Dawes 1500.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Any to definitely NOT consider that are on the list?

mtbr member
    Any to definitely NOT consider that are on the list?
    Skip the Trek 3700. Too much of a causal tow path bike. I can't comment on the others

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks!

Hoping to make a decision today. ANYONE with experience with the other bikes listed? I see there are a lot of reviews about the GT one on here but no reviews of the Dawes although right now it seems to be the best bike for the price.

Help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Bump... anyone with personal experience with any of these bikes?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just from looking at the specs...... I would favor the GT, then the Dawes.

If you have any doubts at all about sizing or other issues, you may want to just go with the Airborne. The components on the other bikes are not THAT much better and it's cheaper.