Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Guardian Upgrade question

I have been told the first thing i should upgrade on my guardian 2.0 are the wheels and the tires? Just seeing what you all thought about the advice given by LBS?

I mostly ride on technical trails and have been told the current Kenda's will not do me justice...

Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Guardian Upgrade question-airborne-stock.jpgGuardian Upgrade question-img_9599.jpg
    First thing I swapped out was Bars, Stem and Seatpost.
    Then I went to 1x9 with Race Face Cranks and WnW Chainring. I live and ride in Florida and never get out of the middle gear anyway.
    I will eventually swap out the wheels and fork when they start to wear out.

Resident Gear Head
    Wheels are a great, but very expensive upgrade. Ride the bike for a bit before you do any serious upgrading. Find an area you would like to improve on and upgrade that. Going tubeless is a very easy, cheap, and beneficial mod. As far as what tires to use, ask your LBS or post a thread in your local riding forum (where do you live?) and ask what tires other rides in your area are using. After that, play around with the stem, seat, grips, and bars. Those are relatively cheap upgrades that will benefit the handling and feel of the bike.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Cockpit is typically the area you would want to upgrade first unless everything fits to your liking. I have upgraded my handlebars (Truvativ Hussefelt), grips (ODI Rogue), and I'm about to pull the trigger on a shorter stem (Race Face 70mm). I'm also upgrading to a Kenda Nevegal front tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've replaced everything on my Guardian besides frame, brakes, seat post, clamp and stem. Cockpit is the most important to get set up right. After that I'd get the right tires for the areas you ride and then a good fork. I'd do wheels after that.

mtbr member
    So I guess go with the cockpit, thank you so much guys. I ride in Nashville mostly, going out to Chattanooga soon hopefully for an excursion.

Thank again for the quick responses guys, so should i just go to local LBS and try some handlebars and grips?

And, what is the benefit of a shorter stem?

Resident Gear Head
    I would change grips and stem first. A shorter stem will speed up the steering and get your body farther back. This benefits descending but will move you off of the front wheel which may hinder cornering and climbing. It's all about personal feel. Ride a single trail a few times and get a feel for it. Change the stem and ride that same trail, making note of what changed. Grips are pretty basic. If you like something big, grab a big pair off the shelf and check the feel in your hand. If you like something simplistic, grab something small.

mtbr member
    I think Im going to upgrade the Stem Right away, from what you guys have told me and reading more. It would suit me a lot better going with a 60mm or 70mm stem.

I'm 5-10 - 165 lbs

Thinking ODI Rogue grips
    Rock face 70mm Stem
    Handlebars??- dont know yet.

Tried the grips at LBS-feel awesome, but they are charging almost double as Amazon and pricepoint. Want to support them, but thats nuts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnPar5 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airborne Stock.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	832739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9599.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	832740
    First thing I swapped out was Bars, Stem and Seatpost.
    Then I went to 1x9 with Race Face Cranks and WnW Chainring. I live and ride in Florida and never get out of the middle gear anyway.
    I will eventually swap out the wheels and fork when they start to wear out.
    Your bike looks awesome btw man

Resident Gear Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocke View Post
    I think Im going to upgrade the Stem Right away, from what you guys have told me and reading more. It would suit me a lot better going with a 60mm or 70mm stem.

I'm 5-10 - 165 lbs

Thinking ODI Rogue grips
    Rock face 70mm Stem

Tried the grips at LBS-feel awesome, but they are charging almost double as Amazon and pricepoint. Want to support them, but thats nuts.
    Ask them to price match. My LBS matches any price I find online, even when they have to special order stuff.

It's best to go one increment at a time on stems. I would start at 90mm. Your LBS might have a cheap 90mm stem or they might slap it on there and let you ride around a bit, or allow you to exchange it after a few rides. They know you can't just pick a few items off a shelf and create the perfect fitting bike so they understand you wanting to try many different things, while only changing one thing at a time. If you change too much at once too drastically and you don't like it, you won't know which new item you don't like.

mtbr member
    Gonna go in and see if they will let me do that, they are pretty cool over there. Not sure if they are that cool though.

Thanks for all the advice provin, really helping me out man. New to the whole thing, and just want a good feel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Your bike looks awesome btw man
    Thanks Rocke, I am really enjoying it.

mtbr member
    Bike shop let me try on some stems on their demo bike which is elevated so I got to maneuver and pedal for a while. 70mm felt like a dream, can't decide which handle bar I like though. Picked up some ODI TLDs though because they felt awesome and looked sick.

Once, I get my stuff together I'll post some more pictures. Think I might have been to get a nevegal for the front tire...

mtbr member

Re: Guardian Upgrade question

I'm 5-10 - 165 lbs

Thinking ODI Rogue grips
    Rock face 70mm Stem

I originally put rogues on my goblin, but recently switched to esi chunky....much better imo. I hated that the rogues have the lock ring on the outside, so the last 3/4" of the grip is rock hard. That's where I put the heels of my hands! But if you usually ride with your hands more towards the center of the bars, they'd be great grips

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Bike shop let me try on some stems on their demo bike which is elevated so I got to maneuver and pedal for a while. 70mm felt like a dream, can't decide which handle bar I like though. Picked up some ODI TLDs though because they felt awesome and looked sick.

Once, I get my stuff together I'll post some more pictures. Think I might have been to get a nevegal for the front tire...
    I would say with virtually any off payment terrain you'd want to swap out the front tire for something more aggressive. That's my opinion, at least, and it's what I'm doing. Nevegal is a great tire plus it keeps it in the Kenda family so the back still matches lol

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to get an NEVEGAL, ARDENT, or IGNITOR for the front. Anyone know between those which is a good choice?

Leaning Nevegal just to keep in the family, but if one is a lot better than the other, I would be willing to have a divorce.

mtbr member

I think I'm going to get an NEVEGAL, ARDENT, or IGNITOR for the front. Anyone know between those which is a good choice?

Leaning Nevegal just to keep in the family, but if one is a lot better than the other, I would be willing to have a divorce.
    Depends on your terrain, but generally I'd lean towards the ardent. Nevegal has good grip but rolls slowwww. Ignitor is just too small IMO, they need to come up with a bigger volume version

mtbr member
    Ardent 2.4? Not sure if that will clear without rub, I think someone else was talking about that too.

mtbr member
    I replaced the front AKA on my Hobgoblin with a Nevegal. It's so much more confidence inspiring then the AKA for the kind of riding I do. I haven't noticed that it rolls slow, if anything I find that I carry more momentum knowing the front end isn't going to wash out now. I've not used either of the other two tires so I can't comment on them, but I'm diggin the Nevegal.

mtbr member

If you go from a fast rolling, relatively light tire to a nevegal, you'll definitely notice a difference.

Ardent is lighter, rolls much better, and has just as much bite. I can't think of a single situation I'd choose a nevegal over it...

mtbr member

Ardent 2.4? Not sure if that will clear without rub, I think someone else was talking about that too.
    Go for the 2.25

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    If you go from a fast rolling, relatively light tire to a nevegal, you'll definitely notice a difference.

Ardent is lighter, rolls much better, and has just as much bite. I can't think of a single situation I'd choose a nevegal over it...

Picking one up today, thanks for the help man. Hopefully, ill post some pics later today.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Picking one up today, thanks for the help man. Hopefully, ill post some pics later today.

Really interested to hear of your experiences with the SB8/Ardent combo. Been thinking of going this way after a few wet weather washouts with my AKA's. Do you have many wet roots or rocks to deal with?

mtbr member
    Yea, some trails definitely have those conditions. Even though, it's been an unusually dry season. Once I get the set I'll definitely let you know my experience.

On paper everything looks good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Conti race kings hands down winner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast