mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Guardian or Seeker for this guy?

First off, let me apologize in advance. I know this question has been asked several times before. I'd really appreciate some input geared towards my situation though. I was all set on ordering the Guardian but had some second thoughts after reading about the Seeker some more recently. I'm a beginner that sold an entry level bike a few years back but really excited about getting back into riding. I'm just curious as to if I'd notice a major difference out on the trails if I went for the Seeker? Or how soon do you think I might be looking to upgrade parts if I went with the Guardian? I'm much happier with the Guardian price but will try to convince the wife on spending an extra 300 if that's the much better option haha.

I'm 6'2, 190 lbs by the way. Thank you kindly!

mtbr member
    If you have the cash, there is nothing wrong with the jump to the next level as it would be cheaper than upgrading the Guardian in the long run.

EDIT - I guess I should list the reasons why!

The Seeker vs the Guardian
    Air fork vs. spring loaded fork - a nice plush ride that is easier to dial into your liking
    Tapered headset vs. non tapered - much more stability and strength
    Elixer vs. Tektro brakes - Elixer brakes are about the best on the market

Those reasons right there are worth the extra cash.
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Then there are the rims. The Speeddisk i19 are better for converting to tubeless. Stans even sells a kit for the i19. Plus, they are somewhere around 300g lighter.

Then there's the 2x10 gearing and the sealed bottom bracket. 2x10 is a great compromise gear setup for those who do mixed riding and don't like redundancy and chainline considerations of 3x on the trail.

EDIT: Both have sealed BBs. The Seeker uses the GXP BB though.
    Last edited by MikeinMinn; 01-08-2014 at 01:20 PM.

mtbr member

I haven't been able to ride a Seeker yet (yes Jeremy, I still plan on buying one for her) but I have a Goblin and my friend has the Guardian. The biggest difference between the two is the fork. That alone is worth the $300 difference IMO. If you can afford the Seeker that's the way to go. It's a great spec for a great price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I want to point out something here: ALL AIRBORNE BIKES ARE GREAT BIKES AT GREAT PRICES

If you choose the Guardian, you are getting a really nice bike; one that would be somewhere around $900-$1100 from the major brands (it is closest to a Rockhopper Comp for $1150). The fork is a spring fork which is nice, but heavier. The Seeker is just nicer, that's all (not to pick on Specialized, but it is similar to the Crave Comp at $1600). That Recon Gold fork is a major upgrade and might keep you from ever wanting more. But both bikes are trail-worthy and rugged enough for real XC riding.

I just wanted to point that out because there are probably Guardian owners who feel we aren't giving it a fair shake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Right, thank you all. I've been doing a lot of browsing and that's what I've concluded. Any Airborne bike is a great choice and Guardian owners seem just as content. I'll continue saving up the next few months and see at that point if I want to shell out the extra money for the Seeker. I know either way I'll be happy!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
    Right, thank you all. I've been doing a lot of browsing and that's what I've concluded. Any Airborne bike is a great choice and Guardian owners seem just as content. I'll continue saving up the next few months and see at that point if I want to shell out the extra money for the Seeker. I know either way I'll be happy!
    Good decision, either bike is going to be great, but the fork sells it for me as being worth the extra cash. I went straight to Seeker and haven't ever looked back.
    Eric

mtbr member
    I don't think ANY of us have looked back. I can also say that we are all fierce defenders of this great company, and you would be in great hands with any bike you buy from Airborne.

The dark-side isn't so bad, we have cookies!

mtbr member

My friend who has the Guardian has no plans to upgrade it. He's happy with the price and spec of the bike. There are tons of people just like him.

I, on the other hand, couldn't leave my Goblin alone. I would get bored at work and accidentally buy parts on eBay. It's worked out alright.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    My friend who has the Guardian has no plans to upgrade it. He's happy with the price and spec of the bike. There are tons of people just like him.

I, on the other hand, couldn't leave my Goblin alone. I would get bored at work and accidentally buy parts on eBay. It's worked out alright.
    Ha Ha. Yeah, Krazy. That's me too. I've got about 7/10 of a bike in parts in my garage. Think I'll get a Goblin frame, a fork, and some brakes and build a Goblin for my wife. Won't she be surprised/pissed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    Then there are the rims. The Speeddisk i19 are better for converting to tubeless. Stans even sells a kit for the i19. Plus, they are somewhere around 300g lighter.

Then there's the 2x10 gearing and the sealed bottom bracket. 2x10 is a great compromise gear setup for those who do mixed riding and don't like redundancy and chainline considerations of 3x on the trail.
    Just a correction: Guardian and Seeker have the same Weinmann wheels. Having both bikes in the garage, I'd go with the Seeker for sure.........mainly for the fork and 2x10. Personally, I find the Tektro brakes on the Guardian better than the Elixer's, but both can do the job.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    Just a correction: Guardian and Seeker have the same Weinmann wheels. Having both bikes in the garage, I'd go with the Seeker for sure.........mainly for the fork and 2x10. Personally, I find the Tektro brakes on the Guardian better than the Elixer's, but both can do the job.
    Yup, you're right. My bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the input everyone. Great news! I just received a bonus at work and looks like I'll be able to buy the Seeker now! Really excited as I was becoming more and more convinced this was the direction I wanted to go in. The only thing is... I know very little about bike parts/assembly.

With my former bike, the most I could do was clean the chain and swap out tires. The last thing I want to do is screw up assembling the bike after a big investment. I really want to learn and am hoping putting the bike together will make me much more familiar with all the parts. Is this something I can screw up badly or should I give it a whirl? I just heard the local bike shops might frown upon me having them tweak the bike I bought online.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Congrats on the bonus!!

Well, I didn't have any trouble with it at all. But Airborne customer service is great if you get stuck. They are fully aware of the issues that accompany sight-unseen purchasing.

Plus they are great if there is a problem with the bike (chips, scratches, bent hangers, component issues)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    There are other threads on initial setup, I believe, but here's one that shows you a little of what to expect when it arrives: Ever wondered how it's boxed and what's needed to assemble your Airborne?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input everyone. Great news! I just received a bonus at work and looks like I'll be able to buy the Seeker now! Really excited as I was becoming more and more convinced this was the direction I wanted to go in. The only thing is... I know very little about bike parts/assembly.

With my former bike, the most I could do was clean the chain and swap out tires. The last thing I want to do is screw up assembling the bike after a big investment. I really want to learn and am hoping putting the bike together will make me much more familiar with all the parts. Is this something I can screw up badly or should I give it a whirl? I just heard the local bike shops might frown upon me having them tweak the bike I bought online.

Congrats! Don't stress the assembly, they really do a great job putting 95 percent of the bike together for you. If you do have issues, call Airborne, or you can get advice from the board. Welcome to the club!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Congrats! Don't stress the assembly, they really do a great job putting 95 percent of the bike together for you. If you do have issues, call Airborne, or you can get advice from the board. Welcome to the club!
    This^

There usually isn't a whole lot you'll have to do. Take it out of the box, get all of the packaging off and take a look. Start to assemble it and if you run into any issues post up.

Airborne Product Dude

Yay for bonuses! Congrats!

Like others have stated here, assembly isn't too difficult and we're here to help (along with your fellow forum members). I like to tell people that if you can change your own oil in your car and are remotely handy around the house, assembling your bike with the state it arrives in is a piece of cake.

We have a youtube channel with a few videos regarding bike assembly, I suggest you watch the Guardian one as it covers all of the bases for assembling the Guardian/Seeker/Goblin bikes.

Most folks don't have any issues, but here are some of the most common questions we get:

1. My fork is on backwards.
    No, it's not on backwards . Like other manufacturers, we turn the stem around 180 degrees so that it fits in the box and doesn't damage any components. The two horizontal allen bolts are already loose and the top stem cap is already tensioned, so all you need to do is swing the stem around 180 degrees and tighten the two horizontal allen bolts in the back of it. A good visual check is to ensure that both brake rotors are on the left (non-drive) side.

2. My pedals won't thread in.
    The left (non-drive side) pedal is reverse thread and screws in counter-clockwise. Ensure that you use some grease on the pedal threads and be cautious when installing. An easy way I remember this is that the pedals turn toward the front of the bike to install and tighten, and toward the rear of the bike to loosen and remove.

3. My brakes are rubbing slightly.
    While we try to adjust them perfectly at the factory, sometimes they are a little out of tune by the time you get them. There are plenty of youtube vids out there on adjusting hydraulic disc brakes, and its not difficult. First before you turn any bolt on them ensure that your wheels are installed in straight in the fork/dropouts and are tight. This is generally the main culprit.

Hope that helps! I also suggest on watching a few vids on adjusting/tuning front and rear derailleurs. After a few rides and a break-in period, you'll need to go back over them as things settle in a bit and will need a final adjust to make them right.

This is invaluable knowledge to have as it allows you to understand your equipment better and you will be better prepared to handle any small issues that might occur out on the trail.

Hope that helps and thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dude don't sweat it..pretty simple and straight forward process..and a decent shop is not going to frown on you if you take it there...new bike...potential new customer..helmet..pedals..shoes..blah blah blah!

You gonna dig your rig!

mtbr member
    Along with Jeremy's points, the only thing I ran into was to set the tire beads. The tires will show up at about 15psi, and may look a bit wobbly - I actually thought the rims were bent! Get some pressure in them and the beads will set at about 50 to 60psi, then you can adjust them back down to desired pressure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Awesome, thanks all! I really want to learn my bike in and out so I can work on it and maintain it myself. Assembling it will be the first step in the process! I'm going to order a Park bike repair stand and multi-tool and hopefully I'll be good to go when the bike arrives! Jeremy - could you provide me with the youtube links you mentioned? I tried searching for some assembly videos with no success.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Wow, I remember unboxing my Guardian.
    Seriously, it's super easy. you just need some Allen tools, and open ended wrenches- really.. and a set of pedals. Start off with a platform pedal you like with a low profile and get ready to ride.
    I have beat the crap out of my Guardian and it handles some pretty advanced trails here in Fla.

Congrats, man. You made an excellent choice. you will *not* be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just wanted to shoot a quick update. I finally ordered a 20" Seeker this morning! My purchase was delayed a few weeks as I found out we owed Uncle Sam a little more money this year than originally planned. I'm thrilled to have finally pulled the trigger on this! I haven't ridden in 3 years and can't wait to make my return to the trails.

Thanks everyone for the help and I look forward to being an active member in the Airborne community!

Lee

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Great! Try to enjoy the wait