Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Guardian Going Tubeless for 2013 Season

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  TXTony 
#1 ·
So i've decided to try out going ghetto tubeless for the up coming season on my guardian.

Have any of you had any success running the stock wheels with the sb8's or nevegals as a tubeless setup?

I taped up my rear wheel last night and attached the presta valve, i think i will most likely need a air compressor to get the tire to properly mount.

What have you guys experienced?

#2 ·
I've not tried it yet - have heard good/bad stories regarding the SB's, though I guess once you get them seated they fine. I'm running Nevegal 2.3's right now with tube - the bead doesn't seat so tight on them, I'd be concerned about trying them tubeless.

#4 ·
I run Ghetto tubeless with Stan's sealant. The SB8's seat up just fine and I ran them tubeless all of last year. No problems, but they did burp out sealant from time to time. They seem pretty thin, but held up well.

I've been running Nevegals (2.2's) tubeless on my Guardian this year and they definitely seem more stable than the SB8's. (no burping at all, even at 23 psi) They seated up on the first try. Although, I did run them with tubes during the winter. I'm not sure how tough it would be to seat a brand new tire that's been all folded up.

You will almost certainly need an air compressor. Might as well buy one or be like me and borrow your neighbor's.

#6 ·
I would say you would be better off to wait until you get tires without a wire bead (ie: folding) but if you're willing to do it more than once go for it! I might be doing the same thing since I have Black Flag Pro wheels, Stan's, and valves but am still running the stock Small Block 8's. But I broke the valve stem on one of my tubes so I might as well go tubeless.

#8 ·
I did notice a slight decrease in weight going tubeless...only slight. Don't convert to tubeless and expect to have a 25 pound bike. The real advantages are:

1. No more flats.
2. Run lower tire pressure.

There are countless threads on this topic at mtbr. Just do a google search if you want a plethora of information.

#9 ·
Well… messed around with the rear tire last weekend to see if I could get air pressure after taping the rim with the gorilla tape and my sm8. Unfortunately, my regular tire pump was not doing enough to force the tire to set on the bead. I don’t have an air compressor so I decided to head over to my local bike shop… when I described to them what I was trying to do I got nothing but dumb looks… “You are trying to do what!?”
So they wouldn’t even touch my setup since it’s “not a proper tubeless combination”.

G
#10 ·
SBs will work but you will need an air compressor. Have set them up twice with no problems. Each time they leaked air for a few days until everything was sealed up. After they did not leak anymore I added a little more juice and they hold air with no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.