Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Guardian bottom bracket questions

Does anyone know the size of the Guardian bottom bracket? Mine is creaking and it sounds like hell when spinning it. Amazon has three sizes for under $20: 68x108, 68x113, 68x118.

From what I am reading this is a fairly common issue with that BB. Anyone else had the same issue?

Does anyone know what warranty the Powerspline BB has? I have about 30 miles on it.

Do I need a special tool to remove the crank?

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT* Please excuse my noobness, I have since discovered that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the BB on this bike. The noises were a combination of chain noise and creaking in the seat/seat post. I don't want to give anyone the impression that this is anything but a great bike!
    Last edited by TheDocTx; 05-09-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Update

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Check torque? Grease?

You may want to PM Mitch1171 (HobGob XO owner). He recently had creaking as well. As I recall aside from loose chainring bolts there was a bottom bracket issue as well.

BTW: This is not a reflection on Airborne quality. Bikes are wrenched overseas so workmanship can be an issue. Maybe the bike was setup on a Friday?

Sure it's the BB? Check cranks,pedals etc. Squeaks may be tough to isolate.

Google
    Last edited by drjay9051; 05-02-2013 at 03:52 AM.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDocTx View Post
    Does anyone know the size of the Guardian bottom bracket? Mine is creaking and it sounds like hell when spinning it. Amazon has three sizes for under $20: 68x108, 68x113, 68x118.

From what I am reading this is a fairly common issue with that BB. Anyone else had the same issue?

Does anyone know what warranty the Powerspline BB has? I have about 30 miles on it.

Thanks in advance!
    The SRAM/Truvativ part# is 00.6400.005.020 and its a "OE BB POWER SPLINE 113 /68".

Yes you need a powerspline crank removal tool, a regular one for a square BB spindle won't work unless you get creative with a washer placed into the opening as a shoulder spacer.

I don't know anything about failure being common on this specific bottom bracket. BB's do fail or wear out, and the rate that occurs varies depending on many factors.

I don't see any way that the factory could have mis-installed the BB that would cause it to fail prematurely.

If you have a decent shop near you that's a SRAM authorized service center, you could take it in to them and check to see if they can get it warrantied still. If you don't have your original receipt for the bike and need it for the warranty, contact us to see if we can provide for you.

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Nevermind Jeremy beat me to it.

mtbr member
    hmmm

Airborne Product Dude
    To clarify, this is a threaded inboard BB that is a different type BB standard than the press-fit GXP (or BB-92) BB that the HobGoblin frame uses.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    The Gxp is super quiet! The bb mentioned sounds like the one I had on my old enduro that did the same thing!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    The Gxp is super quiet! The bb mentioned sounds like the one I had on my old enduro that did the same thing!

Mitch:

Didntyou have some squeaking issues or was that the crank?

BTW: you are doing San Felasco this weekend, correct??

mtbr member
    Mine was my pedals as I didn't grease them! Yes on San Felasco as long as it is somewhat dry! Have u been getting rain?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Mine was my pedals as I didn't grease them! Yes on San Felasco as long as it is somewhat dry! Have u been getting rain?
    Yes. FWIW: I am tempted to return to Felasco this weekend. I'll let U know

Captain Climber
    Hmmmmm... did you grease the threads?

Been raining a lot here at CL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The SRAM/Truvativ part# is 00.6400.005.020 and its a "OE BB POWER SPLINE 113 /68".

Yes you need a powerspline crank removal tool, a regular one for a square BB spindle won't work unless you get creative with a washer placed into the opening as a shoulder spacer.

I don't know anything about failure being common on this specific bottom bracket. BB's do fail or wear out, and the rate that occurs varies depending on many factors.

I don't see any way that the factory could have mis-installed the BB that would cause it to fail prematurely.

If you have a decent shop near you that's a SRAM authorized service center, you could take it in to them and check to see if they can get it warrantied still. If you don't have your original receipt for the bike and need it for the warranty, contact us to see if we can provide for you.

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Thanks for the part info! I downloaded the PDF invoice from the website, I think I'm good there. I will do some more trouble shooting when I get home, just to make sure I'm going down the right road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    Check torque? Grease?

You may want to PM Mitch1171 (HobGob XO owner). He recently had creaking as well. As I recall aside from loose chainring bolts there was a bottom bracket issue as well.

BTW: This is not a reflection on Airborne quality. Bikes are wrenched overseas so workmanship can be an issue. Maybe the bike was setup on a Friday?

Sure it's the BB? Check cranks,pedals etc. Squeaks may be tough to isolate.

Google
    I'll double check everything when I get home this weekend. I had the bike up on a stand and noticed almost a grinding noise coming from the BB area. I don't think it is coming from the chain contacting the FD or anything like that. The cranks are tight with no play. I'll admit I have not spun the crank with the chain removed, so Ill try that next.

I have not seen anything on this bike yet that would point to poor workmanship. I checked (or thought I did, lol) the whole bike over and have not found anything loose or out of place. Out of the box I had to do some minor adjustments on the brakes and RD but that is to be expected. I still feel it may just be a defective part. It happens sometimes.

Thanks!

mtbr member

Thanks in advance!
    First thing I would do is go to your LBS if you have one and just have them pull it and take a look. It may need to be cleaned and lubed or torqued. Hopefully you have a good shop that will help you out if its a warranty issue. If they do help you then you will know you have a good shop. Mine ended up being the pedals which I installed and didn't grease before I put on! Your shop should be able to hook you up. I know its spending money but by the time you do all the work yourself you might get it done faster through the shop. Good luck!

mtbr member
    First thing I would do is go to your LBS if you have one and just have them pull it and take a look. It may need to be cleaned and lubed or torqued. Hopefully you have a good shop that will help you out if its a warranty issue. If they do help you then you will know you have a good shop. Mine ended up being the pedals which I installed and didn't grease before I put on! Your shop should be able to hook you up. I know its spending money but by the time you do all the work yourself you might get it done faster through the shop. Good luck!
    If all else fails I will do just that. However, I love wrenching so I am not ready for a LBS to have my fun just yet! I would rather buy the tool and learn to do it myself. I like to know my equipment inside and out and wrenching on it is the best way to learn that.

I sprung for the Shimano Pd-MX80 Saint pedals and those have some of the smoothest bearings I have ever seen. They came heavily greased out of the box. I'll double check them anyway, anything is possible!

mtbr member
    If all else fails I will do just that. However, I love wrenching so I am not ready for a LBS to have my fun just yet! I would rather buy the tool and learn to do it myself. I like to know my equipment inside and out and wrenching on it is the best way to learn that.

I sprung for the Shimano Pd-MX80 Saint pedals and those have some of the smoothest bearings I have ever seen. They came heavily greased out of the box. I'll double check them anyway, anything is possible!
    Good deal those are nice pedals! Good luck let me know what you find. Also make sure that all of your chainring bolts are tightened down because those have been guilty of making a similar noise.

mtbr member
    Good deal those are nice pedals! Good luck let me know what you find. Also make sure that all of your chainring bolts are tightened down because those have been guilty of making a similar noise.
    The Saints are sweet! The chainring bolts are near the top of the list. I read a few articles on this stuff and they said the same thing. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in Detroit right now and won't be home till Friday night. I'll let you guys know what I find then.

mtbr member
    The Saints are sweet! The chainring bolts are near the top of the list. I read a few articles on this stuff and they said the same thing. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in Detroit right now and won't be home till Friday night. I'll let you guys know what I find then.
    "Detroit Rock City"

mtbr member
    "Detroit Rock City"
    It's 73 degrees here, wish I had the Guardian with me!

mtbr member
    Not sure if the BB is the same on the Guardian vs the Goblin but my new Goblin makes a clicking noise on the drive side when pedaling. I've gone through all of the troubleshooting steps recommended by Jeremy aside from BB work but no luck. I haven't decided if I'll take it to the LBS or pick a BB tool and work on it myself (repair n00b). I did receive a PM from WineDine29er who said he was experiencing almost an identical issue with his Goblin. No word on whether he took it to the LBS or fixed it himself.

Airborne Product Dude
    The BB on the Goblin is different also, they are an outboard GXP design.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Good news! It appears my BB is in good shape. I pulled the chain off and gave it a spin and its absolutely silent with no play whatsoever. As far as the grinding noise, it is just the chain. I am just not accustomed to a chain making that much noise. I checked and double checked and it is not rubbing anything. The chain is clean and lubed with dry lube. I'm not concerned with the chain making a little noise, as long as I know WHAT is making the noise.

Speaking of chains, I was thinking about picking up a SRAM PC-971 or 991 chain to have as a spare. Anyone have any thoughts on those?

As far as the creaking goes, I'll find that eventually through trial and error. I did check the chainring bolts and those were all tight. It will probably end up being something really simple, lol.

Thanks for all the great advice guys!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by airlocksniffer View Post
    Not sure if the BB is the same on the Guardian vs the Goblin but my new Goblin makes a clicking noise on the drive side when pedaling. I've gone through all of the troubleshooting steps recommended by Jeremy aside from BB work but no luck. I haven't decided if I'll take it to the LBS or pick a BB tool and work on it myself (repair n00b). I did receive a PM from WineDine29er who said he was experiencing almost an identical issue with his Goblin. No word on whether he took it to the LBS or fixed it himself.
    If you have internal cable routing it may be hitting the frame on the inside!

Captain Climber
    Do you have any pedals to swap if you haven't already? I've seen several posts on this and the pedals have been the culprit most of the time.

mtbr member
    I may have found the creak! I swapped out seats this morning to an old one I had on another bike. I also adjusted the seat post and re-tightened. Rode about 10 miles and no creaking! The seat and post were good and tight before, maybe just seating everything again did the trick.

She is dialed in and rolling good now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast