mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Guardian 2.0 Tubeless and other ??

Ok, I've got a 04 Trek 4500 that's ready to be retired. I've been bouncing back and forth between the Airborne Guardian 2.0 and the Seeker. I think I've narrowed it down to the Guardian, but had a couple questions.

1. Are the Guardian wheels compatible with the Stan's No-Tube kits and if so, what kit do I need? I tried to use the 'Rim Strip Finder' on the notubes website, but Weinmann was not listed as a MFG.

2. On the Guardian 2.0, what's the biggest tire size I can run with the X5 FD? I've saw some posts about upgrading to a X7 FD to clear bigger tires but those were in regard to the older Guardians I think.

3. I had purchased a Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29" fork for another bike and can still get a refund if I don't use it. Would it be enough of an upgrade over the XC 28 to justify the $140 I spent on it?

I'm stoked about getting an Airborne. From what I've read they are amazing bikes! Thanks for your help!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just found another thread talking about tubeless on the Guardian. Seems like the XC 29 kit from stans doesn't fit and people are using Gorilla Tape?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeBlood View Post
    Ok, I've got a 04 Trek 4500 that's ready to be retired. I've been bouncing back and forth between the Airborne Guardian 2.0 and the Seeker. I think I've narrowed it down to the Guardian, but had a couple questions.

1. Are the Guardian wheels compatible with the Stan's No-Tube kits and if so, what kit do I need? I tried to use the 'Rim Strip Finder' on the notubes website, but Weinmann was not listed as a MFG.

2. On the Guardian 2.0, what's the biggest tire size I can run with the X5 FD? I've saw some posts about upgrading to a X7 FD to clear bigger tires but those were in regard to the older Guardians I think.

3. I had purchased a Rock Shox XC 32 TK 29" fork for another bike and can still get a refund if I don't use it. Would it be enough of an upgrade over the XC 28 to justify the $140 I spent on it?

I'm stoked about getting an Airborne. From what I've read they are amazing bikes! Thanks for your help!!
    I can't answer your tubeless question as I've never tried to set up tubeless on a current Guardian. I would imagine where there is a will there is a way, but the rim wasn't designed for it specifically.

Regarding tire clearance, the current Guardian, when shifted into the smallest ring, has between 8-10mm of clearance from the tire to the inside of the X5 FD. See attached photo. This is with the stock Kenda 2.1 SB8's. While a 2.35 may fit in there, the clearance may be tight. I would probably personally run a 2.2 at most, but in the end that's up to you. I hope the photo helps you make that call.

I would probably return that fork and put that $$ toward an air fork like a Recon Air or a Reba. I don't think it's going to be that much of a noticable difference over the stock fork.

Thanks and I hope that helps!~

Jeremy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guardian 2.0 Tubeless and other ??-guardian-clearance.jpg  

Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Excellent and thanks for the quick reply Jeremy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just pulled the trigger on an 18" Seeker. Got to thinking about it and knowing I would be upgrading the fork and drivetrain later anyway, the Seeker was more economical. Can't wait for it to get here!!!

Airborne Product Dude
    Just pulled the trigger on an 18" Seeker. Got to thinking about it and knowing I would be upgrading the fork and drivetrain later anyway, the Seeker was more economical. Can't wait for it to get here!!!
    Got it, thanks! We'll get it shipped out ASAP.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Congratulations on the Seeker. It is a great bike.

BDF, are you guys seeing the number of Guardian orders decrease now that the Seeker is available?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    Congratulations on the Seeker. It is a great bike.

BDF, are you guys seeing the number of Guardian orders decrease now that the Seeker is available?
    Nope! The Guardians are actually flying off the shelf at a higher rate than the past red model was. We thought that may be the case but its much higher than expected. Black is selling slightly faster than white.

The Seeker is selling very well and also at a higher than expected rate.

Once again we've had to adjust our forecasting up even higher. We just placed orders for more parts to make more of each ASAP.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Nope! The Guardians are actually flying off the shelf at a higher rate than the past red model was. We thought that may be the case but its much higher than expected. Black is selling slightly faster than white.

The Seeker is selling very well and also at a higher than expected rate.

Once again we've had to adjust our forecasting up even higher. We just placed orders for more parts to make more of each ASAP.

Jeremy
    Great for you guys!

The bikes sell because they are a tremendous value.