mtbr member
    May 2011

Green Goblin HIgh Value Mods?

I have a green goblin that I purchased about a year ago. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on some high value mods, or best bang for the buck mods to improve the bike. I ride in Florida on fairly technical terrain (rocks, roots, drop offs, small jumps), not bombing down the sides of mountains at this time. I have the stock Small Block 8s, which do not give me much confidence in a lot of the conditions I ride in. They dont seem to provide great traction when the sand gets loose and slide out really easy.

The mods I am interested in would add performance and enjoyment to the bike without sacrificing durability. Currently running everything stock except 100mm travel up front instead of the 80mm by removing the spacer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wheels and tires are the biggest bang for your buck. The cockpit parts on the Goblin are heavy and you can shave a lot of weight by replacing the stem, bars, and seatpost. I replaced the wheels with Stan's Arch EX's, Ignitor tires (tubeless setup), Thompson post, Truvativ stem, and Easton Carbon bars (~$750) and took the bike from ~28 lbs to 24. Huge difference in feel.

I picked up a set of lower end Black Flag Comps at Performance Bike for $300 on sale and they're noticably heavier, but only slightly (150 grams) and seem more durable. They also come with EVERYTHING you need to tubeless, even the Stan's sealant! So you don't have to break the bank.
    There's only one bigger sheep than manufacturer's - consumers! - AndrewTO