Thread: Going Tubeless

mtbr member

Going Tubeless

Has anyone converted the blackflag pro to tubeless I think im going to pull the trigger this week. Do I need a compressor? Or will a standing pump be enough pressure? Thanks, Mitch

mtbr member

Going Tubeless

I've heard the Specialized Air Tool MTB pump will do it if you don't already have a pump but a compressor should do it if you have one or have access to one. I haven't converted mine yet. I'm waiting to get new tires.

mtbr member
    I'm going to just take it in to the LBS he said he do it for $15! He said he will show me how to do it. Said you just need to make sure the tire is seated really good. I hear its great to go tubeless with the xtra traction so I'm interested to see how she handles!

Captain Climber
    Do you have to do anything to your rim first or is your's already sealed?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Going Tubeless

I'm wanting to set up the stock goblin wheel set/tires tubeless but lack an air compressor. I wish I could find a shop that would charge $15.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Do you have to do anything to your rim first or is your's already sealed?
    The Black Flag Pro wheels that come on the Goblin/HobGoblin XO bikes are already sealed with the Stans strips. All they need is to have the Stans valve installed and the sealant put in, both of which are included with the bike.

The best way to do it is with an air compressor because you need a big hit of air to inflate the tire quickly and make the bead seat.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    I'm going to just take it in to the LBS he said he do it for $15! He said he will show me how to do it. Said you just need to make sure the tire is seated really good. I hear its great to go tubeless with the xtra traction so I'm interested to see how she handles!
    Mitch, who do you use as yor LBS? I've been using Orange Cycle for mine. Although I haven't had them do any work I use them for all my accessory purchases. Their prices are sometimes cheaper than online. They have been very helpful answering all my questions too, even though I didn't purchase the bike there. They gave me a good deal yesterday on a new seat to to try out for the Goblin.

I want to go tubeless as well and would just assume have them do it, especially for $15.

TXTony
    I set up the Black Flags in the garage...took about 20 minutes..I did use a air compressor but I think I could have got away with the floor pump on the Geax tires...they where the easiest tires I have ever set up tubeless...I have found Kenda tires to be a little less hassle free at first...set up some SB8s that took forever to seal up and hold air and just set up another set of Kenda all mountain tires that took several days of adding air...a good long ride solves the problem and once they seal up good they are good to go..

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Mitch:

Went tubeless on the Goblin XO out of the box.

Pretty simple.

Replace valve with the Stan's valve. Oh yes, remove the tube first.

Next not having a compressor I used my CO2 to inflate and seat bead. Nice loud pop as it seats.

Next, I deflated a bit and using plastic tire lever removed a bit of one side of tire from rim, poured in 2 ounces of Stans and used floor pump. no problem.

I think the compressor is to get the bead seated initially. CO2 worked for me.

From what I have read do not put in Stan's and than use CO2 as it allegedly will congeal the Stans sealant.

Probably best way is to get a core tool (which I have since purchased for $8) and after seating bead with compressor or CO2 remove core of valve and syringe in 2 ounces of Stan's. No problem with reseating of bead.

On a side note if anybody can answer this, on a recent ride I burped out quite a bit of air from the front tire. Felt like I was riding on 15 PSI. So I aired up using CO2 and heard the bead pop on the rim.

Question is as follows: If bead was off rim (and it must have been to pop back on) why didnt tire go totally flat? Odd.

Oh yes, as I used CO2 on the trail I addedfresh Stans when I got home.

Frankly I don't see all that much difference using Stans. Yes lower pressure but at my level not a big thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The Black Flag Pro wheels that come on the Goblin/HobGoblin XO bikes are already sealed with the Stans strips. All they need is to have the Stans valve installed and the sealant put in, both of which are included with the bike.

The best way to do it is with an air compressor because you need a big hit of air to inflate the tire quickly and make the bead seat.

Jeremy
    What Jeremy said!

mtbr member
    Im just in the gotta try it mode as it seems to be one of those have to do things! Plus I hear the traction is really good at the lower psi. Im probably going to lower my stem a little also maybe a couple spacers down and see how that feels before I cut it down.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    What Jeremy said!
    Nice