Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Idea! Going 1x10 - 30T Race Face N/W

After upgrading the stem and tires, it is time to experiment going to a 1x10 setup. Right now the 30T Narrow/Wide RaceFace chainring is on sale at BikeBling for less than 24 bucks! With some great advice from 8ikingVIIking, I pulled the trigger on it last night. With this upgrade, I will lose about a pound in weight and (hopefully) find the gearing that I am needing. I find myself in certain circumstances either too high geared or too low with no middle ground between the 24 and 38 chainrings. If anything, this will be a great experiment to see if I can find that middle ground. I will update once it arrives next week with pics and a small writeup as there isn't much to the upgrade.
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 10-16-2013 at 07:08 AM.
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Interested to see the conversion.

What's a example of a circumstance where you are "too low or high"?

mtbr member
    Going up hills mostly trevor_b. There is a 3 mile loop that I hit after work everynight with a section of uphills that I just can't seem to find the right gear for. I have run that section in the 24T - 3rd and 4th gear, and 38T - 2nd and 3rd gear and neither of them feel right at all. I have gone above and below the gears I have stated, but no luck. I can make them work, I just think I can make it work better if I had a chainring that was inbetween the 24 and 38.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What do you mean by doesn't feel right? Too hard or too easy to sit and spin etc?

mtbr member
    Yep, you hit the nail on the head. I have had my Goblin only a month now, but I am coming off a 2x7 setup on my Giant that I rode for two years and wondering if that has something to do with it. Perhaps just not used to the new gearing??

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yea I know coming from a 3x8 previously to a 2x10 on the goblin it was definitely a different/learning experience. I have a good handle on it now though (after 500+ miles).

mtbr member
    I don't think I can wait that long...lol - right now I am at 150 miles. Not sure I could wait another 350 miles to see if I can grow into it. For 25 bucks though, it is worth a shot to see if this does anything for my riding. Worst case is that I hate it too, but can easily get my money back out of the chainring on CL.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    After upgrading the stem and tires, it is time to experiment going to a 1x10 setup. Right now the 30T Narrow/Wide RaceFace chainring is on sale at BikeBling for less than 24 bucks! With some great advice from 8ikingVIIking, I pulled the trigger on it last night. With this upgrade, I will lose about a pound in weight and (hopefully) find the gearing that I am needing. I find myself in certain circumstances either too high geared or too low with no middle ground between the 24 and 38 chainrings. If anything, this will be a great experiment to see if I can find that middle ground. I will update once it arrives next week with pics and a small writeup as there isn't much to the upgrade.
    Are you also getting a type 2 RD? It really needs that as well to work the best. The leaving the FD still-on-as-a-guide trick works "OK", but it doesn't keep the chain from popping off all of the time. The type 2 FD helps a lot.

Good luck!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'd be interested in trying this out. Do you plan to completely remove the FD? If so, isn't a chain guide needed?

Jeremy, are you saying that chainring with no FD and a type 2 RD won't need a chain guide?

mtbr member
    With the narrow/wide ring, it should not need a chainguide for the most part, but a rear derailleur with a clutch would be ideal (according to RaceFace). I just want to try this ring on for size as an experiment, and then if it works as far as gearing, then I will seek out a clutched rear derailleur (or a nice chainguide depending on cash flow). I have talked to several people that use this 30T ring in a 1x10, and they all love it, with almost no dropped chains.

As far as the front derailleur, I will more than likely ditch it when the time comes. All I plan to do is remove the shifter and cable for the first few rides to see how it all works and feels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I recently switched to a 1x9 setup on my Guardian with no guide whatsoever, as the FD wouldn't adjust over enough to act as one. At first I dropped the chain with the standard ramped middle ring on the crank a couple times a ride, depending where I rode. I bought the RF narrow wide chain ring and no drops at all now, YMMV. This is with a standard X9 rear derailleur. A type 2 rear derailleur would make the drive line even more secure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks s0ul_chicken. For $30 shipped i ordered one to try. I find myself never using the large front ring on my goblin, however, I find the small ring a little small. If I like the gearing I might do the same as you by losing the FD + shifter and upgrading to a type 2 RD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    I recently switched to a 1x9 setup on my Guardian with no guide whatsoever, as the FD wouldn't adjust over enough to act as one. At first I dropped the chain with the standard ramped middle ring on the crank a couple times a ride, depending where I rode. I bought the RF narrow wide chain ring and no drops at all now, YMMV. This is with a standard X9 rear derailleur. A type 2 rear derailleur would make the drive line even more secure.
    Thats good to hear! I take it you wouldn't go back?

Quote Originally Posted by MysticRI View Post
    Thanks s0ul_chicken. For $30 shipped i ordered one to try. I find myself never using the large front ring on my goblin, however, I find the small ring a little small. If I like the gearing I might do the same as you by losing the FD + shifter and upgrading to a type 2 RD.
    According to 8ikingVIIking, he used the inner chainring bolts to secure the new chainring since they are a bit longer. What color ring did you get?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    According to 8ikingVIIking, he used the inner chainring bolts to secure the new chainring since they are a bit longer. What color ring did you get?
    I just went with boring black.

mtbr member
    I had to go green myself!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thats good to hear! I take it you wouldn't go back?
    Nope, quite happy with 32T chain ring and 11-32T cassette. Enough gear range for the asphalt or any climbs here in the midwest.

mtbr member
    I thought about a 32T, but for an extra 15 bucks I said no...lol - not sure why the 30T is cheaper, perhaps over-produced.

The 30 will go to a 11-36, should be interesting.

Airborne Product Dude

Jeremy, are you saying that chainring with no FD and a type 2 RD won't need a chain guide?

Yep, that's correct!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'd be interested in trying this out. Do you plan to completely remove the FD? If so, isn't a chain guide needed?

I am running 34T WnW with no guide and my stock X5 RD and have not dropped a chain once. Lots of roots rocks and mud too.

mtbr member
    That is the fourth testimonial I have come across on running everything stock - do you think it will hold up as the chainring wears?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That is the fourth testimonial I have come across on running everything stock - do you think it will hold up as the chainring wears?
    I dont see why not. If not, I will upgrade to new RD and get a new WnW.
    I was gonna upgrade my RD, but I am happy with the X5.

mtbr member
    Well, my plans for a 1x10 will be delayed due to a screwed up BB and frame... I will update as I get (hopefully) a frame replacement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well, my plans for a 1x10 will be delayed due to a screwed up BB and frame... I will update as I get (hopefully) a frame replacement.
    What happened?

mtbr member
    See my other thread here.

Resident Gear Head
    Will that race face chain ring bolt up to the stock Guardian cranks? I'm thinking about changing the guardian to a 1x10 with Sram x9 RD and that race face chainring. After looking on the race face website I think it will bolt up to my stock cranks but I might have to use a shim
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast