mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Goblin wheelset upgrade?

Hey Everyone, first post here but i've been lurking for a while. I just bought a new Goblin and want to keep my eyes open for a great deal on a wheelset upgrade.

Can someone list tell me the width and axle size I should be looking for for the front and rear? anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Jeremy, I sent an email into support but an answer to this post would be perfect so future searchers can get the info.

TXTony
    Get some Sun Ringle Black Flags or Chargers. They come with all the adapters to run whatever size axle you need. Everything in the box to set up tubeless if you want. The Goblin is standard QR and axle front and back. So any wheel set with standard QR will work. The next steps up are 15mm and 20mm for the front. Which does not apply to the goblin. The rear on the Goblin is also standard vs 10 or 12mm.

Airborne Product Dude
    Yes, what Tony said above. Standard 135mm QR rear and standard QR front.

I own two sets of Black Flag Pro's and a set of Charger Experts. Both are great wheelsets. Both wheelsets are lighter than stock, but the BFP's are lighter than the Chargers still. The Chargers have a wider rim and beefier hubs, and feel a little stiffer.

Hope that helps~!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Excuse my ignorance. I'm still on the learning curve. I've been riding for a while but never bothered paying attention to the component specs.

What is standard? If i'm looking at a wheelset that is listed as having 9mm QR hubs f/r and spacing of 100/135 f/r is this considered standard specs?

Also, is the weight saving of the BF Pro's worth the upgrade over BF Experts?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticRI View Post
    Excuse my ignorance. I'm still on the learning curve. I've been riding for a while but never bothered paying attention to the component specs.
    No worries! Wheel specs have changed a lot over the last few years so unless you are paying close attention you wouldn't be current anyway. That's why there are folks like me (Product Managers) that get paid to keep up with all of the changes~!

What is standard? If i'm looking at a wheelset that is listed as having 9mm QR hubs f/r and spacing of 100/135 f/r is this considered standard specs?
    BINGO! That's the norm.

Also, is the weight saving of the BF Pro's worth the upgrade over BF Experts?
    I think the Experts are probably the best bang for the buck. However, not only are the Pro's lighter, I think the hubs are much nicer IMHO. But the Experts are a really nice wheelset, and definitely way a lot less than the stock Goblin wheelset..

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Awesome! Thanks for the great info. Now to keep my eyes open for a deal on wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I think the Experts are probably the best bang for the buck. However, not only are the Pro's lighter, I think the hubs are much nicer IMHO. But the Experts are a really nice wheelset, and definitely way a lot less than the stock Goblin wheelset..
    Another benefit to Either BF or Charger pro over expert is the hub compatibility.
    Pro Hubs fit all axle standards: 9QR/15mm/ 20mm
    Experts are either: 9QR or 15mm/20mm
    So if you buy experts to fit your 9mm axle, and ever want to upgrade to 15mm you'll need a new hub or wheelset.

I think this is a recent change, the old expert J-bend spoke hubs were 9/15/20.
    But the new straight pull spoke Expert hubs are:9 or 15/20
    If it matters to you, be careful which expert you buy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks swildnm. If i can get the experts at a sweet price I will. I don't plan to ever upgrade the Reba RL on the Goblin, so having a 9QR only wheel doesn't matter to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I don't know squat about wheelsets but my Goblin XO came with Black Flag Pro. I have had no issues and converted to Stans out of the box. The Stans conversion is not a big deal to me but nice to know it can be done.

As a big guy (250) I was concerned about ruining a rim.

Not a problem but I do not take drops bigger than a foot or 2.

YMMV

BTW: RE: the rest of the Goblin XO. I'm still smiling !!

Captain Climber
    I'm going to build my own wheels.

mtbr member

Goblin wheelset upgrade?

I upgraded to a Reba with a 20 mm Maxle and Black Flag Pro wheels. I couldn't be more happy with either one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have Charger Pros, and A 15mm Maxle Reba RL on my Guardian. Its a great set up, but the tapered 15mm Manitou Tower Pro on my Yelli destroys the Reba.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks swildnm. If i can get the experts at a sweet price I will. I don't plan to ever upgrade the Reba RL on the Goblin, so having a 9QR only wheel doesn't matter to me.
    You could upgrade your current Reba to 15mm by just buying the lowers and swapping them. You can find a deal on lowers on Ebay sometimes. That's what I did.

mtbr member

Goblin wheelset upgrade?

^^^This is what I was going to do but I found a good deal on my fork on EBay.

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    I'm going to build my own wheels.
    I have built 2 sets of wheels and with the so many options on after market wheels these days I don't think I will be building any more custom wheels unless I rebuild the ones I already have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    Another benefit to Either BF or Charger pro over expert is the hub compatibility.
    Pro Hubs fit all axle standards: 9QR/15mm/ 20mm
    Experts are either: 9QR or 15mm/20mm
    So if you buy experts to fit your 9mm axle, and ever want to upgrade to 15mm you'll need a new hub or wheelset.

I think this is a recent change, the old expert J-bend spoke hubs were 9/15/20.
    But the new straight pull spoke Expert hubs are:9 or 15/20
    If it matters to you, be careful which expert you buy.
    Although this is what their website says, it applies to the older Expert models. The new 2013 + models will include all adapters QR9/15/20 for the front. I can confirm this because I ordered a set of Charger Experts from Art's Cycles for my Yelli and they came with all adapters. The Black Flag Comps on my GF's bike are the same way.

NeedGod.com
    I haven't heard anyone mention Stan's wheelsets or anything by Easton. Just curious why everyone is going the Sun Ringle route. Are the BF's better than the others?
    Nathan

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    I haven't heard anyone mention Stan's wheelsets or anything by Easton. Just curious why everyone is going the Sun Ringle route. Are the BF's better than the others?
    I think people are probably only recommending wheels that they have personal experience with. SunRingle has done a great job the last few years in regards to quality of their wheelsets and their marketing so a lot of folks have been exposed to them.

That being said, there are some wheelsets out there from Easton that are good, and Stans are great wheels IMHO.

I also have a set of 29er CrossMax wheels from Mavic and I absolutely love them, however they aren't really a budget-minded wheelset so I didn't even drag them into this thread.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by evan9r View Post
    Although this is what their website says, it applies to the older Expert models. The new 2013 + models will include all adapters QR9/15/20 for the front. I can confirm this because I ordered a set of Charger Experts from Art's Cycles for my Yelli and they came with all adapters. The Black Flag Comps on my GF's bike are the same way.
    Good info. Thanks.

NeedGod.com
    Thanks, Jeremy. I'll continue shopping around.
    Nathan

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    I have 2 sets of Stans wheels...great wheels..I have the Arch rims laced to Chris King hubs and one laced to Industry Nine hubs..I had them built up at a LBS..I also have a set of the Charger wheels on another bike...when I purchased the Goblin I decided to go with the BF wheels for several reasons..I got them on sale...they are based on the No Tubes system which I like a lot..I am a big fan of the Stans system..I also had a set of Mavic Crossmax I ran on a Specialized Enduro..they where awesome wheels..I beat the crap out them for several seasons with zero issues..I am running a set of Eastons on my cross bike with zero issues out of them from gravel roads to xc style singe track.

I think there are a lot of great options out there for after market wheels..the BFs are my second set of Ringle wheels and I really like there products..in the end I guess it comes down to what you want out wheels..light..hub engagement and such..and price..I think Sun Ringle offers a great value for budget minded folks searching for a decent replacement set over stock..plus having the adapters included for future fork upgrades is a nice option to have as well...