Captain Climber

Goblin vs....... Goblin XO

Can someone explain the differences to this newb? I understand that it has the XO components and I assume that means stronger, lighter and smoother shifting? Anything else? I also see it has a Carbon Cockpit for weight. The fork seems to be slightly different. What is the difference? I see it has better wheels. Any other differences?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    XO also has tubeless ready rims, X9 as opposed to X7 brakes, carbon seatpost, Maxxis Ikon rubber. I may have missed a couple of items. Regarding the Reba RL vs RLT this link may help:
    Reba RL vs Reba RLT?

Clearly XO worth the extra $$ in my mind. If you were to convert to higher end components down the line you would be paying more !

If you can swing it go XO. I have the Goblin XO and love it !!!

TXTony
    Pretty much same frame. Same geometry. Better drive train. XO will be lighter. Shifter better. More smooth action. The wheels that the XO cone with give you the option of running tubeless with no modifications or additional cost of buying a Stans kit. The wheels will perform better than the regular Goblin wheels. Better hubs. Better quality.

I have a 26 carbon ht equipped with X0. There are pros and cons. Performance is awesome. If you crash and destroy a derailleur or shifters it is gonna be pricey. However I have yet to destroy anything like that.

Carbon seat post and bar and stem. Lighter. Will help absorb and distribute trail vibration some in theory.

That said I opted for the X7 version. I have used X7. X9. X0. For most people new to the sport the X7 will work great. It is a durable and functional group from Sram. After a season or so on it you would see and feel the difference by going to XO

Second reason I chose X7 as things wear out I will replace with X9. I am running that group on two other bikes and have never had an issue.

I guess for most it boils down to budget. The XO version is a screaming deal compared to other XO bikes. But with me weight was not a priority. Having top line drive train was not either. If you want to get into a 29er and Rick a solid bike from jump street the X7 is an excellent rig. If you want the best of the best. X0 it is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Goblin vs....... Goblin XO

Tony 's logic is the reason I went with x7 model. I will only ever think about upgrading the drivetrain when something breaks and I would only go to x9.

The only thing that I would think about upgrading without them breaking first is the wheel set.

As far as the forks being different, the xo goblin has a through axle and x7 doesn't.

Airborne Product Dude
    I'll echo what Tony said about the X7 stuff being good. IMHO the X7 group is the best blend of performance/weight/value of any mtb group out there. I'm just as happy at the end of a ride after riding my X7 equipped bike as I am with my XO equipped bike.

All that being said, I am one of those folks who likes nice stuff. I'm that way with cars, home theatre/audio, cameras, brewing equipment, yadda yadda yadda. I always end up buying the nicest (or near nicest) version of whatever it is as I know I'll always second-guess my purchase later if I bought the entry-level whatever. It's a symptom of being a techno-geek and a first-born. If you're like me, I recommend to get the XO.

You can tell that the XO shifts better. The shift throw is less, its more of a positive mechanical feel. The adjustability of the lever throw is nice. And the carbon blingy pieces just look cool.

You will also notice a difference in stiffness in the cranks. The XO cranks are stiffer and have better power transfer and less flex.

I love the Black Flag wheels. They look great, they're stiff, fairly light, and the hub just sounds cool. The Black Flag wheels totally transform the way the Goblin rides, and I definitely recommend upgrading an X7 bike to them if someone has the funds. The stock X7 Goblin is a great bike, but like every bike in the sub $2K price range, the wheelset is not the lightest and is the best place to put any upgrade $$$ first.

Anyway, hope that helps a little!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Captain Climber
    Helps a lot.. Thanks everyone! What is the weight of the Goblin? Is there anyway to get a new one with the old Green paint scheme?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Does the Goblin XO come with a Type 2 RD?

mtbr member
    I had X7 shifters on my specialized with an X9 RD and it always did its job. I must say the XO is a much smoother shift than the others mentioned but a very good set up.

Airborne Product Dude
    The XO is currently supplied with a Type 1 RD.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Jem7sk: Mine (16") weighs in at 28lbs with pedals (.75lbs) and water bottle cage so mine was probably right around 27lbs out of the box. Give or take .5 for scale inaccuracies (bathroom scale)

Captain Climber
    Thanks MikeinMinn!

mtbr member
    I have the Goblin x7 and have a few observations

The drivetrain works like it is suppose to but does sound a bit clunky. If it broke today I would replace with with x7 parts as well unless the price is a big difference.

Fork is fantastic

Brakes to me are fantastic. I was worried about them from some reviews I've read but they work perfectly. I like to take turns too fast like an idiot and they have zero problem stopping me and I've experienced no fade.

The tires do feel heavy but grip great. Really like these tires.

I also expected to want to change the wheels but they seem fine.

I love the Goblin x7. Excellent bike!

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Is there anyway to get a new one with the old Green paint scheme?
    Good question Chris!

Airborne Product Dude
    Helps a lot.. Thanks everyone! What is the weight of the Goblin? Is there anyway to get a new one with the old Green paint scheme?
    Yes. You can buy a new black one and have it repainted.
    Airborne Dude.

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Yes. You can buy a new black one and have it repainted.

Actually, after looking more at the black one and thinking about it... It has enough cool green in it to accent with green wheels, hubs, etc. that would look real cool.

mtbr member

Actually, after looking more at the black one and thinking about it... It has enough cool green in it to accent with green wheels, hubs, etc. that would look real cool.
    thought you were looking at a full suspension bike?

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    thought you were looking at a full suspension bike?
    Probably going to start with a hardtail. Remember Sunday when I said that and you pointed at Brandon's Rumblefish and said they were fast out here... I said I don't sit down going over roots anyway? I'm sure I'll upgrade to a FS later on too to have both. I don't think Jeremy will mind if I have three or four Airborne bikes.

Airborne Product Dude
    Probably going to start with a hardtail. Remember Sunday when I said that and you pointed at Brandon's Rumblefish and said they were fast out here... I said I don't sit down going over roots anyway? I'm sure I'll upgrade to a FS later on too to have both. I don't think Jeremy will mind if I have three or four Airborne bikes.
    ............or 23 or 24................
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member

Goblin vs....... Goblin XO

It's a sickness! The only cure is more Airborne bikes!

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    It's a sickness! The only cure is more Airborne bikes!
    Is this why they have "More Cowbell" on the website?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Did I see 233 or 234 ? Oh well I guess I needed something to spend my tax return and extra cash on.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Captain Climber
    I wish I could afford too.

TXTony
    Is this why they have "More Cowbell" on the website?
    More cowbell refers to cyclocross. In specific the Airborne Delta. If you ever go to a cross race you will hear a ton if cowbells being rung along with other things going on as well.

Captain Climber
    Too funny... I had no idea. I've seen a couple of Youtube vids of Cycle-cross and didn't pay attention to the cowbell. Looks like a crazy race though.

TXTony
    Too funny... I had no idea. I've seen a couple of Youtube vids of Cycle-cross and didn't pay attention to the cowbell. Looks like a crazy race though.
    Love riding my cross bike. Hate to see the Delta go away. Was on my radar for my next bike purchase down the road. Can not blame them though not really a huge market at least in the states but it is kind of taken off the last few years.