mtbr member
    May 2013

Goblin Stem replacement

I want to get a shorter stem for my 20" Goblin.

I cannot seem to find specs for the stock stem.

What specs do I need when buying a new stem?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    The stem that comes with the Goblin is a 100mm +/- 7 degrees, 31.8mm bar clamp size.

I just went with a RaceFace 70mm +/- 6 degrees which made it a little over an inch shorter and it made a world of difference.
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    you need a 1 1/8" non threaded stem, I got a race face evolve 70mm +/-6 degree, love it. you may need to remove or add a spacer though to screw head cap back on.

mtbr member
    Here is the link of the one I purchased:

Race Face Ride Stem Oe 2010 > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Stems | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

It is out of stock, but you will get the idea.
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    How did you guys go about deciding you needed a shorter stem? Too much weight on your hands? Wanted a wider bar so needed a shorter stem?

How did you decide you needed that particular size? Does you lbs loan stems?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I particularly read up a bunch on this, as well i was on the borderline between a 16" and 18" frame. It seemed from my reading that a shorter stem and wider bars were the way to go for better handling. The articles are spot on since i made the changes. I also made sure my stem is approx. 1" below my seat height and that has helped tremendously, feels awkward at first but is an excellent tip.

Happy Trails

Goblin Stem replacement

I'm not a bike fitter, and fit is a very personal process best left to experienced professionals ....

But you can plug your body metrics into an online fit calculator such as the highly regarded calculator at Competitive Cyclist and get some ideas about changing cockpit geometry. I'm 6-1 and would ride a size L (20) Airborne, and set up the seat post with 30-5/8 inches from bottom bracket centerline to flat top of saddle, would set the stem up for 22-3/4 inches from saddle tip to handlebar centerline; and set up the handlebar with grip tips 27 inches wide and 0-1/2" lower than dead flat level from saddle top. It took me a few years of riding to find this perfectamundo fit, and I got a little longer and lower as I rode more.

And, did I mention I'm not a bike fitter? YMMV!

See you out there.