mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Goblin 2.0 Rim Job...replacement suggestions?

Any suggestions on a replacement rear rim for my Goblin 2.0? I care more about strength/quality than weight and don't care about looks.

Today, I somehow bent my REAR rim when i caught my handle bar on a tree going around a corner. Stayed on my bike (no crash), but somehow bent the rear rim in the recovery...took me a while to figure out where the rubbing sound was coming from! Seems the side force of my 195lb tush was too much for the rim...seems like a quality issue to me, but Eric said wasn't covered by warranty.

Pretty intermediate rider putting ~200 miles of road/downhill (50/50) on it annually (not tubeless). I know nothing about rims or brands and will use my LBS to put it on...help a brother out.

Sucks replacing parts when you don't have an epic crash story or scars to legitimize the $$$!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    And it's not taco'd...rode it home 2 miles with a rub (about 10 minutes of the tire is bent if you look at it like a clock). If i flip my bike and spin it lightly, the tire stops where the bend is. Read some threads on bending it back, but then due to spoke tension and whatnot, this wasn't recommended.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Take it to a local shop and have the wheel tensioned and trued. I weight more than you and had to do this to both wheels after a few rides. The original wheels may flex some, but are not weak by any means.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Goblin 2.0 Rim Job...replacement suggestions?

Doesn't seem like a quality issue to me. Seems like you put sideways forces on the wheel greater than it is designed to handle.

Anyway, take your wheels to an LBS first to see of they can repair it. If they can't, see what they have in stock. If they're any good at building wheels, and you don't care about weight or looks, they should be able to set you up with something good.

Airborne Product Dude
    To be honest, its probably not a quality issue. I've been riding since 1981 (OK I'm old, just say it! ) and I've found all sorts of ways to bend rims over the years. Sometimes the perceived smallest of incident will bend a wheel, while other times you do something seemingly catasrophic and wheels come out unscathed. There are a lot of dynamics going on there and preception usually differs from actual load and impact on a wheel, especially in a side-loading situation.

If the bend isn't too bad, it can probably be brought back by an experienced mechanic. It's probably worth it to have someone look at it.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    No luck with the bend-back. The LBS owner showed me how the spokes were too tight on the side that would need to be tightened to pull it straight (or something like that). So the rim he had on stock was $90 + $50 spokes + labor = $190. Womp womp.