Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Getting cold feet about Goblin

I bought my first MTB last fall and quickly with I had bought a better bike. After quite a bit of shopping around I pre-ordered a Goblin. Since the weather has turned off nice I can't help but wander into a bike shop or two while I'm waiting on my Goblin to show up. After talking to a few people at various shops, I'm starting to second guess myself. Would I be better off going with a Giant, Trek, Felt...? I could not get the same components without out spending much more, but I could spend a few hundred more than the goblin is going to be and still get a much upgraded bike over what U have now.

I know the salesman's job is to promote the brand they carry and try to get me on a bike and make a sell, but they seem to think there is no way an Airborne is built at the same quality as their brand and I will be buying junk. I have done quite a bit if searching online, I have yet to find a bad review of the Goblin, but that can be said about almost any other bike as well. The only people I can find that really praise them are right here in this forum.

So I guess my question is, should I stick with my plan of getting the goblin or add in a little money and get a name brand bike with lesser components? Is there anyone that bought an Airborne and regretted it?

mtbr member
    man, i bought my Goblin last summer and put over a 1000 clics on her since and she is holding up fantastic. I have kept mine pretty much stock except for a set of Schwalbe HD's i put on a month ago. What your LBS is not telling you is since you are buying a bike directly from airborne you are cutting out the middle man and saving some serious coin. Oh and a little thing called customer service which Airborne is great for.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks. Yes, I know Airborne is cutting out the middleman. One of the stores told me the reason they sell their bike online is because if they were in a store where you could test ride them they would not be able to sell them. I will not do any business with them. I do not have a LBS any closer than a 1 hour drive from my house and the more I stop to visit and shop, the more I think I will just spend my money online.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    "should I stick with my plan of getting the goblin or add in a little money and get a name brand bike with lesser components?"

Read what you wrote, then read it again and then a third time.

The only downside to buying an Airborne bike is in the sizing. That, you could potentially get wrong. Even then they will work with you to get you what you need.
    Man up, accept that you made a good decision. In the end I am confident that you will be more than satisfied.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Airborne's frame uses aluminum, similar geometry, is made in Asia, as all the other bikes in it's range and has a lifetime warranty......no real risk there. Airborne branded stem, bars, seat post and clamp.........are what? Heavier, weaker, the same as others? Very well those might get replaced on any bike customizing your cockpit. All the other components are from the same aftermarket companies as other comparable cost bikes(SRAM, Avid, WTB, etc.), but at a higher level..........so ask your LBS for a legitimate critique. I own a Giant Talon 0 and enjoy it, but after learning a little about working on bikes, I bought my wife a Guardian that's fairly comparable component-wise, but was $300 cheaper. Knowing what I know now with about 8 months of ownership and 3 of riding(winter and all), I'd have bought either a Goblin and likely upgraded the wheels, or just have bought the XO version.

Airborne Flight Crew
    You made a solid, informed decision.

The Treks, Felts and whatever else that are near the same price but with lesser spec are not bad bikes, but they're in no way at some "higher level".

As a flight crew member, you may think "well - he's obviously biased, he gets product in exchange for whatever" - That's true. But I have to say, I bought my wife a Hobgoblin when they were released, and I just bought the Orange Hobgoblin frame - it should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait. I'm not under contract -I can buy any brand I like. I could have bought a RIP 9 or Enduro or... But I've ridden and used several Airbornes; Taka, Guardian, Green Goblin, Wingman. I use them hard and push them probably beyond what their intended use is - and they don't disappoint.

Congrats on the Goblin
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    WHAT ?
    I was in the same boat regarding a road bike. Back and forth between Motobecane or a "better brand name " bike. I dropped close to 3K for a Scott at my LBS. Am I happy with the bike? Yes. Could I have gotten more bang for the buck by going with Motobecane via Bike direct?Yes.

So when it came time for a mountain bike I had a budget of 2.5 K. Looked in the LBS and than heard about Airborne. BTW: no idea how I discovered Airborne but glad I did.

Went with the Goblin XO and love it. IMO pretty much all frames are made overseas and likely are of similar quality. Of course the exception are hand made frames but thats a different world.

I will put my Goblin frame up against a Trek, Giant,Spec etc with no reservations.

As Sleevem1 mentioned big cut in cost is NO MIDDLEMAN a.k.a. LBS.
    So for several hundred dollars less I got a great frame with my XO group, Black Flag wheelset, carbon bits etc.

2 local LBS looked at my bike and thought it was quite a well put together machine.

Oddly the shop where I dropped over 2 grand on a Scott road bike gave it a look, shrugged their shoulders and frankly pissed me off!

I could go on all morning but the coffee is ready and I need a fix before i hit the trail on my Goblin XO !

Do what your heart tells you but either way do it. Life is short.

Best of luck. Any questions, hit me up.

BTW: customer service with Airborne is stellar !!!
    Last edited by drjay9051; 04-06-2013 at 05:31 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If the bikes will live under jhazards riding, they will survive any ''normal'' rider!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks guys. Just what I needed to hear.

mtbr member
    I've always gotten cold feet before everything in life.

What kind of potato chips to buy
    birth of my children (considered going out a window)
    car purchases

What I've learned in life? Just let it happen...

TXTony
    If they sold them at LBS at the price they are selling them now a lot of big names would be loosing sales. I bought the Goblin after looking at several shops around here. Nothing compared price vs what you get. I own a Cannondale. Trek. Specialized mountain bikes. I rate my Goblin right up there with them. And honestly after getting and riding the Goblin I scratch my head sometimes as to why I dropped the amount of money on the other bikes I had.

It seems a lot of people will put down the brand with no actual hands on experience. LBS will do the best to push the product they carry. Why wouldn't they. It's a business. Don't fall into the hype that is had to have a C. S. or T on there to be a quality bike. I have yet to regret my decision on the Goblin and if and when Airborne releases an all mountain type rig and it suits my needs I will most likely buy from them again.

The reviews from all the owners speaks volumes. You made a great decision. Enjoy the new bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    One of the shops close to work seemed pretty interested in it and even asked if I would bring it by for them to look at when I got it. Offered to put it together for me for $35. I'm thinking about letting him do it.

mtbr member
    I SOLD my Specialized Enduro so I could buy a Hob Goblin XO. The specialized was nice awesome frame but it came with a crap crank set on it and a medium range fork then and is probably now a low end fork. Besides if you go on the other forums you will see that there are people not so happy with a lot of the big name bikes. I can tell you this all my riding buddys are seriously awaiting the arrival of my Hob Goblin XO as they know with the XO set up I scored a killer deal! Trust me any bike shop will work on your bike thats how they make their money! Selling bikes makes them very little! Maintenance, upgrades and good people who respect your decision makes them money! If they give you a hard time just give them the face im making and say do you want my business for service and upgrades or not. Or do what im doing and learn how to work on it yourself! Good Luck man I think you made a great decision. Oh the reviews arent from all flight crew members! Vital has a great one and MTBR is currently in the process and I dont think there will be a negative review. I was gonna buy a Trance X29er 1 and saw an add in a magazine for the hob goblin and after comparing both bikes they are alomst identical except that the XO blows away the coponents on the Giant and that is no disrespect to Giant but makes better since for my wallet! Good Luck

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Getting cold feet about Goblin

The minute that salesman bad mouthed airborne without any first hand experience (presumably) I would've walked out and never come back. That's complete ignorance.

I second what everyone else has said about the goblin. It is a fantastic bike. I wish I had the money (or the irresponsibility) for the hobgoblin so I could have a FS and a HT 29er.

mtbr member

My green Goblin has been fantastic. Better spec'd than the bikes I was looking at at the local shops for less money. It has been really solid and has not let me down.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    The minute that salesman bad mouthed airborne without any first hand experience (presumably) I would've walked out and never come back. That's complete ignorance.

I second what everyone else has said about the goblin. It is a fantastic bike. I wish I had the money (or the irresponsibility) for the hobgoblin so I could have a FS and a HT 29er.
    100%.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What your LBS is not telling you is since you are buying a bike directly from airborne you are cutting out the middle man and saving some serious coin. Oh and a little thing called customer service which Airborne is great for.

How much serious coin am I not saving?
    January all bikes were 35% off.
    I have 3 great shops by me ( 3miles away, 45 miles away and 68 miles away).
    Great service I wish I could buy more from them.

mtbr member
    Heres a little tidbit for ya. The giant i was gonna buy which is a great bike, was gonna cost me $2775, the hob goblin selling for $1700 and change had the same components on it and better cranks! Thats why I just saved a little more money and went with the HOb Goblin XO because with that set up on a big name would have cost me easily in the $4000 range. I talked to a shop the other day and asked how much they would charge to just go over the bike and make sure its all snug and running through and they said hell yes we have been waiting to see one of those bikes as they have been getting great reviews! So there you have it AirBorne has someting that has caught everyones eyes and for that some people feel threatened. Anyways your bikes only as good as you are! I know people that have $1000 golf clubs and totally suck so thats how I look at it. Why spend the money for a name when you can save money and get the same or better quality! Damn I should sell these things! LOL

Airborne Flight Crew
    Lol
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhunt0 View Post
    One of the shops close to work seemed pretty interested in it and even asked if I would bring it by for them to look at when I got it. Offered to put it together for me for $35. I'm thinking about letting him do it.
    That sounds like a keen shop - I'd be happy to business with someone like that. They'll make more $$ in the long run if I go in there for service, parts, accessories... AND that's not a bad deal for putting a rig together. I'd have paid someone $20 just to unpack/unwrap it
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    As you can see in my sig I have three bikes. An old 26" I converted to SS, which is a blast to ride, a 650b I built myself, and the Goblin.

I love all three. I spared no expense in building the 650b, but in the end, my Goblin is just a better bike. Its has great components, everything fits and looks great, and the frame is just incredible. There is no better bike in the market for less than $1700 dollars. Period.

You made the right decision!
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

MTB Fanatic
    For the most part, my LBS is very good, especially when it comes to repairs on my bike. However, they WILL NOT BUDGE on prices. I mean, they do have the occasional sale of course, but they don't haggle. So I'm pretty straight up when I go in there and tell them about my Airborne bike. I know I'm the only one in the area that has one because they've never heard of it. (Sell more Airborne in Iowa, guys)

But anyway, I love my Airborne and am very happy with the upgrades I've made to it. But especially, I love how it rides. You'll love yours, too.
    Nathan

MTB Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    As you can see in my sig I have three bikes. An old 26" I converted to SS, which is a blast to ride, a 650b I built myself, and the Goblin.

I love all three. I spared no expense in building the 650b, but in the end, my Goblin is just a better bike. Its has great components, everything fits and looks great, and the frame is just incredible. There is no better bike in the market for less than $1700 dollars. Period.

You made the right decision!
    Nice! I just gave you some rep and turned your red chicklet to green. Good deed: DONE!
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    Nice! I just gave you some rep and turned your red chicklet to green. Good deed: DONE!
    Hey, thanks.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleevem1 View Post
    I have kept mine pretty much stock except for a set of Schwalbe HD's i put on a month ago..
    what model and size of Schwalbes did you put on? and how much room do you have in the rear before the tread would hit the chainstays?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast