Thread: Frame sizing

mtbr member

Frame sizing

First off, I am about as green to mountain bikes as you can get and I am picking up the sport to drop some weight. after visiting several lbs's and hangin around here on the forums for a while, I decided on a seeker..... LOVE it by the way!!..... Being 6'5" and a little over 300 lbs, the lbs's I visited never had any big framed bikes but they all agreed that I need the biggest one I can get so I went with a 22" frame...... This is really the first bike I have ever had that doesn't feel like a kids toy under me.
    ........the reason For this post is what I didn't figure for..... The stand-over height is advertised as 32.5" if I remember correctly and I have a 35" inseam, so, no worries...... Right? Well, I didn't realize that the stand-over height is measured right by the seat post...... The stand-over height at the point where the front of my body while I stand in front of the seat is 35"......... Kinda scary! But I don't think I would want to give up the cockpit room though because when I'm on the bike it is perfect! Feels like I'm part of the bike instead of balancing on top like a circus bear.
    I don't really have a question, just wanted to put that out there and see any thoughts.

mtbr member
    Don't worry too much about standover. Like you mentioned, the cockpit room (effective top tube length) is more important.

mtbr member

Frame sizing

Cool, that's what I was figuring. Like I said, I wouldn't trade it, but gonna have to watch the quick dismounts! 😁

mtbr member

Frame sizing

Here are some pics of my big a$$ on the seeker.
    Frame sizing-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376750424.680338.jpgFrame sizing-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376750441.108377.jpgFrame sizing-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376750456.941776.jpgFrame sizing-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376750477.057708.jpgFrame sizing-imageuploadedbytapatalk1376750494.890988.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    someone in another thread mentioned this, but since the title of this one is perfect I thought I would repost. I used this when ordering my Goblin (as well as Jeremy's recommendation) and it was spot on IMHO.

Bike Fit Calculator | Find Your Bike Size | Competitive Cyclist

If you take the time to do it right you should get correct results. I agree that top tube/stem length is often overlooked in favor of standover height, but you have to mind the tender areas as well .