mtbr member
    Dec 2006

First Impressions: Goblin XO

First off, i have only been on mountain bikes for a bit over a year. Have been riding a full suspension Jamis XAM II so my knowledge and experience is limited.

This is my first 29er as well as first hardtail.

Picked up the carton at Fedex. Noticed a big hole at the drive side rear drop out. Hole was taped over. Unpacked the bike. Very well wrapped. Took me longer to unwrap than assemble.

2 issues. I could not figure out how to rotate stem till i realized there was an allen screw under a rubber cap. All good.

Next: shifting. Watched you tube vids of derallieur adjustment and the low limit screw could not prevent deraileuer from hitting rear spokes on 2 inner cogs.

Off to LBS. Great guys. Major bend in the hanger. They put on a nifty alignment tool and all was well. $8.50 well spent.

Off to Santos trails in Ocala Fl. Big problem as I come around a turn NO brakes.

Fortunately this weekend is the Fat Tire Festival so i find the SRAM guy and after a bit of magic with adjusting calipers and contact screw I'm good to go.

The above issues were in no way the fault nor should they reflect poorly on Eric and Jeremy. **** happens.

So the ride; Very different. I think the hardtail will make me a better rider. On my Jamis i sit down and just float along. On the Goblin I'm out of the seat to save my back and i love the feel.

Hills i never could climb i'm now like a billy goat. i don't know if this is due to no loss of energy due to pedal bob or if the 29s just are more "efficient".

Steering feels different. i can "flick" the Jamis 26 more but maybe it will come in time.

Hands got a bit numb. i see the stem is pretty long on the Goblin so i don't know if I need shorter stem to take pressure off hands or maybe move some spacers (looks like there are 4-5 ) from under the stem to on top.

Had a long discussion about Stan's with a few people. i don't get it. In my mind tubeless and less pressure means more rolling resistance. One guy said it's counerintuitive and actually resistance is less.

Anyway, I have the Stan's and may give it a shot. Anybody get the tire seated with a floor pump?

Color: Mentioned to Jeremy Stealth grey would be killer but I'm actually loving the white. Yes dust and dirt shows.

BTW, Jeremy no problem with the Black Flags even at my big ass 250 pounds. Thats another thing with these rims I'm learning to unweight etc.

Finally, only Airborne at Santos among a ton of Trek, Spec,Pinerello, Felt etc. Got some looks and gave the Airborne info to few people.

Not much else to say. Got to wipe down the Gob, lube the chain and get ready for a 6 hour ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I will actually be joining you out there soon! All I need is 1 more paycheck and ill e ordering the hobgoblin XO. Maybe we can meet out there when I get mine and snap some photos of the 2 together. Congrats on that awesome rig man.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: First Impressions: Goblin XO

Congrats. Any idea where the contact screws are? Or are they only on the xo brakes and not my elixir 7 brakes? Only screw I'm aware of is the reach screw.

Take pics tomorrow if you get a chance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    I will actually be joining you out there soon! All I need is 1 more paycheck and ill e ordering the hobgoblin XO. Maybe we can meet out there when I get mine and snap some photos of the 2 together. Congrats on that awesome rig man.
    You in Ocala area??

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Congrats. Any idea where the contact screws are? Or are they only on the xo brakes and not my elixir 7 brakes? Only screw I'm aware of is the reach screw.

Take pics tomorrow if you get a chance!
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/Nh...nt_install.pdf

Can pad contact distance be adjusted on Elixir 7 SLs

If questions well worth going to local LBS. Money well spent.

Not sure about a contact adjust screw on the 7s

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Now if I could only find another airborne owner in SouthFL. Maybe when I go up and ride Santos this summer we all could all meet up and show those trails what Airborne is made of. But so far sounds good drjay and glad you got it all working.