Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

First ever race aboard the Goblin!

Here's a pic of me on my goblin during a race in Duluth MN. It was my first ever xc race so I had no idea what to expect, but it didn't disappoint!

The race course was pretty muddy (which the aka's didn't like), but I managed to finish in the top third overall in cat 3. I had a blast and hopefully there will be many more races to come.

Anyone else out there racing an airborne??? I haven't seenanyone else riding one in mn....almost everyone here seems to be a spesh fanboy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First ever race aboard the Goblin!-screenshot_2013-07-19-14-25-36-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Good job! I have not been to any races and I have not seen a single Airborne on the trails down here in TX. In fact I don't have a single friend that had even heard of Airborne until I bought mine. Most of these guys are the type that would take a bullet for their LBS. I don't quite understand that, but to each his own. That's alright, the word is spreading.

TXTony
    I will be using mine in the winter for an endurance race

mtbr member
    I see a lot of the "take a bullet for their lbs" types. I don't get it either, but it seems like they just like the warm fuzzy feeling they get from buying locally. I saw a guy with a specialized "S" tattoo on his calf at this race.....wow, just wow

mtbr member

Re: First ever race aboard the Goblin!

Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    I see a lot of the "take a bullet for their lbs" types. I don't get it either, but it seems like they just like the warm fuzzy feeling they get from buying locally. I saw a guy with a specialized "S" tattoo on his calf at this race.....wow, just wow
    The ski shop I worked at had a shop tech with a Burton tattoo. I don't understand brand tattoos unless they are paying you to get said tattoo. On that note, Ride snowboards east coast reps used to host a tattoo party. Basically free jager bombs and if you got a ride tattoo at the party you got a free snowboard. And no... I don't have a Ride tattoo.

Btw op congrats on the first xc race!
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

Airborne Flight Crew
    Congrats on your race! and yes, most of the low profile close-tread pattern like the AKAs and SB8s are not very mud friendly. Great on dry hardpack though!

I raced the Big Mountain Enduro (Anglrefire/Taos segment) on my modified Hobgoblin... If I can get some more riding time in before the end of August, I'll be racing the Big Mountain Enduro in Durango on it too.

Oh, I'm in New Mexico. Didn't see any other Airbornes at the Enduro races, but there's a few Wingman in my zip code, and at least two Guardians close by. I regularly see Takas on the lift at Angelfire, btw.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Yeah I love the aka's on everything I've encountered except mud, and they roll so fast compared to what I rode on my 26 (fire xc's and nevs). I think if I ever get more serious about racing I'll pick up a pair of mud specific tires for when its wet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Airborne Flight Crew
    I was rocking Nevs for a while, despite the rolling resistance, I like them - good all-around tire. Trying a Trail King on the back right now. Works nice, but I think it's wearing faster than I'd like.

Mud spikes are a great idea if you have the conditions to take advantage. Makes a huge diff.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    I raced on my Zeppelin Elite for the whole 2011 series here in Georgia. It did great!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here's a pic of me on my goblin during a race in Duluth MN. It was my first ever xc race so I had no idea what to expect, but it didn't disappoint!

The race course was pretty muddy (which the aka's didn't like), but I managed to finish in the top third overall in cat 3. I had a blast and hopefully there will be many more races to come.

Anyone else out there racing an airborne??? I haven't seenanyone else riding one in mn....almost everyone here seems to be a spesh fanboy
    Me Too! Completed my first XC race this past weekend and I saw another Goblin there as well... Goblin was great except AKA in front, it was slipping on moist rocks and roots. Looking to changing front tire and going tubeless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First ever race aboard the Goblin!-palosmeltdown2013.jpg  

Airborne Product Dude
    Awesome, love it!

Would love to see more race pics!~

On a side note, what happened to "TXTony"? I noticed above he now listed as "guest" and no longer has a profile on MTBR. Did I miss something?

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Awesome, love it!

On a side note, what happened to "TXTony"? I noticed above he now listed as "guest" and no longer has a profile on MTBR. Did I miss something?

Jeremy
    I was wondering the same!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by betorac View Post
    Me Too! Completed my first XC race this past weekend and I saw another Goblin there as well... Goblin was great except AKA in front, it was slipping on moist rocks and roots. Looking to changing front tire and going tubeless.
    Nice pic! Where was the race at?

I'm also looking into replacing the front aka, does anyone know of a tire that would work well in wet conditions as well as hardpack? 90% of my riding is on hardpack but I'm looking for something that self cleans better than the aka. I'm thinking about a Maxxis ignitor or ardent, but am open to any suggestions

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Awesome, love it!

Jeremy
    I was wondering where he's been.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice pic! Where was the race at?

I'm also looking into replacing the front aka, does anyone know of a tire that would work well in wet conditions as well as hardpack? 90% of my riding is on hardpack but I'm looking for something that self cleans better than the aka. I'm thinking about a Maxxis ignitor or ardent, but am open to any suggestions

It was the meltdown race in the Chicago suburbs by CAMBR.org, one of the only hillly areas around here.

Those are two very good choices, from a friend that has run both he recommended ignitor in front and ardent or ikon in the back. The ardent has a gap in between center and side knobs so in the turns you have to lean it over quickly for the side knobs to bite. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Awesome!! I haven't had the chance to race yet, not sure if I ever will... but I am also a North Texas Goblin owner and it just gobbles up all the local DORBA trails!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I agree. I just moved to the Minneapolis area. I'm looking at building on a Hobgoblin frame this winter, I haven't seen a single Airborne bike on the 5 trail systems I've ridden and I'm not sure why.

mtbr member

I'm not sure why either! The first group ride I went on the guys were kinda looking my bike up and down before we rode, then afterwards they were asking a bunch of questions about it after they saw I was keeping up with them on their (mostly) carbon fs wonderbikes. They were pretty amazed at the value when I told them what I paid

mtbr member

Well I figured I'd resurrect this old thread that I started, now that I've ridden my 2nd race on my goblin.

I raced cat 3 in the miner's mountain XC race at the Cuyuna MTB fest, and I ended up winning! It turns out I probably should've went cat 2 but I didn't think I had the legs for a 2 hr race just yet.

You know how they say "it's not the bike, it's the rider"? Well I think in my case it was the opposite lol. Love this bike's stability in the fast stuff, I definitely feel like it makes me a better rider.

Anyone else out there racing on an Airborne this season?

Airborne Product Dude
    Awesome, way to go! So are you moving up now to Cat 2 for the next race?

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member

Awesome, way to go! So are you moving up now to Cat 2 for the next race?

Jeremy
    Definitely. I was debating between 2 and 3 for this race but I didn't think I was quite ready for a 2 hr race. I only beat the 2nd place guy by 4 seconds so I didn't feel like too much of a sandbagger lol. The next one is in 4 weeks so I got serious some riding to do!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Nice. How long are the XC races you guys are doing? This makes me want to find out what events are in my area.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by molon_labe48 View Post
    Nice. How long are the XC races you guys are doing? This makes me want to find out what events are in my area.
    In my area, the times for cat 3 are about 45 min-1 hour, cat 2 1.5-2 hours, cat 1 are 2.5-3 hours. They aren't usac sanctioned races tho so it might be different in your area

mtbr member
    May 2014
    In my area, the times for cat 3 are about 45 min-1 hour, cat 2 1.5-2 hours, cat 1 are 2.5-3 hours. They aren't usac sanctioned races tho so it might be different in your area
    Thanks. You got me looking into XC races in Kentucky and I just found out there is one at Fort Duffield going on this weekend. I've been meaning to get up and ride those trails so this may be a good excuse to play with my new bike. The course here is 5.2 miles, cat 3 does one loop, cat 2 does 2, and cat 1 does 3. Sounds about the same as yours.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by molon_labe48 View Post
    Thanks. You got me looking into XC races in Kentucky and I just found out there is one at Fort Duffield going on this weekend. I've been meaning to get up and ride those trails so this may be a good excuse to play with my new bike. The course here is 5.2 miles, cat 3 does one loop, cat 2 does 2, and cat 1 does 3. Sounds about the same as yours.
    Duffield is hilly! Be prepared to do some climbing, but the descents will be a blast on the HG.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast