mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Ever wondered how it's boxed and what's needed to assemble your Airborne?

So I thought I'd share the unboxing and small assembly process for a Airborne bike.

Ordered mine Thanksgiving weekend, got it within a week. Box arrived in good condition with no issues, but it didn't have to travel that far since the warehouse is located in a neighboring city in southern Ca. Keep in mind that someone will need to sign for it (or have it arranged for Will Call pickup I did).

Next up is opening the box up and taking a peek inside. Everything was packed quite neatly and seems like nothing really can move around.

Now to pull everything out and checking things out. Almost all the contents pulls out in one piece very easily. I was quite impressed how they managed to intertwine everything so it comes out nicely and nothing is able to move around and get damaged during shipping.

First thing I did was I located the seat and post, attached it to the bike and put the entire thing on a stand. This made the unraveling of the packaged assembly and stripping off all shipping protection much easier.

Assembly of the bike is quite simple and straight forward. Basically it's simply a matter of attaching the handlebars and front wheels. While it was on the stand, I verified the derailleurs were adjusted correctly (which they were!!!), and the brakes functioned correctly (I think I will need to re-bleed on the rear, feels a little spongy). After some air in rubbers and some pedals, this is what the finished product looks like.

All the bikes/component documents, adapters for Std-skewers, along with a Stans Tubeless Kit came in a little box.

The assembly process process is quite basic. For the inexperienced or folks with 2 left thumbs....my suggestion is to employ a pro and a experienced friend to help you out. If your bike has carbon components, special care is required when tightening the bolts down.

Before the initial ride, even if it's just a lap around the block, make sure the brakes works, wheels are secured properly, and ALL bolts are torqued and tightened down properly.
    Last edited by NuckaMan; 12-09-2013 at 09:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for posting. I was curious how much was going to be involved with the assembly.

Now if my bike would only get here to PA...was supposed to be here Saturday which would have been nice for signature purposes. It was shipped on December 3rd and initially scheduled for delivery the 7th. Now with the winter storms there is no estimated time of delivery from Fed-Ex and I'm not sure they even know where the bike is at this point! Last update I've gotten is that it has left CA but that's it at this point.

Question - is there any kind of chain stay protector or anything that comes with the bike? I know a lot of companies include them and wasn't sure if that was an extra thrown in or not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm waiting for some X-mas gifts I purchased online that is currently stuck in weather limbo.

Yeah, assembly is very basic. In my opinion, any experienced MTB'er will have the skill-sets to put it together...whether they are mechanically inclined or not. Gotta have some basic repair skills on your bike if venturing far from your home/car.

As for your question, no chain stay protector or a level-release seat post clamp is included.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    There's a video on you tube of someone assembling a Guardian. Also videos on how to adjust the brakes and other components.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What city is the warehouse located in? Save some $$ on shipping, right?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by rorhound View Post
    What city is the warehouse located in? Save some $$ on shipping, right?
    Sorry, the warehouse that houses and ships our bikes does not allow local pick-ups. Its not set up for it.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.