Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: In Development?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

In Development?

Is there anything in development for a new AM bike? 29 or 27.5?
    It seems that the Airborne lineup has run pretty thin, lots of XC bikes but not many other options.
    Any news on what else is in development?
    I know of the Toxin Free Ride bike.
    And the new, yet to be named, high end Downhill bike.
    I have also heard that there may be an updated Taka like, budget, down hill bike.
    Will there be another run of Delta's in the sold out sizes?
    What else can we expect to see from Airborne in 2013?

mtbr member
    I'm going to try not to be long-winded but if so I apologize ahead of time............

I don't know if "thin" is a good word to use. We don't plan on getting to the size of a BikesDirect with 75+ SKU's; we want to stay focused on making great bikes at great prices.

It's true we have been letting some models dwindle-out and disappear. Models from the beginning of Airborne like the Marauder, Zeppelin, etc we've been selling thru and as we run out we have been turning them off on the site. Being a small company we can't afford to have millions in inventory so we are being smart about bringing in new models as inventory of the old dwindles....

The biggest sector of mtb sales is XC, so we are always going to be heavy in that department. Go to Trek or Specialized's website and sort it by XC bikes and its obvious that they are also heavy in them for the same reason. We even be coming out with a few more so stay tuned!

Gravity bikes take time to develop, ride, refine, etc. We've been working on a new 7" and 8" bike for awhile and are getting close. We don't want to put crap out there, so while we are bummed that we aren't selling them yet, we know we are doing the right thing by our customers.

We've got a few more models planned for the rest of the year, and like always they will come out at different times (not all in September for Interbike like other companies).

Thanks for the interest!

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Although it would be nice to know if there were more Deltas on the way. I may need a new street bike.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I'm going to try not to be long-winded but if so I apologize ahead of time............

I don't know if "thin" is a good word to use. We don't plan on getting to the size of a BikesDirect with 75+ SKU's; we want to stay focused on making great bikes at great prices.

It's true we have been letting some models dwindle-out and disappear. Models from the beginning of Airborne like the Marauder, Zeppelin, etc we've been selling thru and as we run out we have been turning them off on the site. Being a small company we can't afford to have millions in inventory so we are being smart about bringing in new models as inventory of the old dwindles....

The biggest sector of mtb sales is XC, so we are always going to be heavy in that department. Go to Trek or Specialized's website and sort it by XC bikes and its obvious that they are also heavy in them for the same reason. We even be coming out with a few more so stay tuned!

Gravity bikes take time to develop, ride, refine, etc. We've been working on a new 7" and 8" bike for awhile and are getting close. We don't want to put crap out there, so while we are bummed that we aren't selling them yet, we know we are doing the right thing by our customers.

We've got a few more models planned for the rest of the year, and like always they will come out at different times (not all in September for Interbike like other companies).

Thanks for the interest!

Jeremy

This is a good answer, But I hope to see a 130-140mm trail bike with 26 or 27.5'' wheels in the future. Its a big segment to be missing. Jumping from 100mm of travel to 180mm of travel leaves a huge gap to fill with something.

mtbr member
    We are working on an all-mountain/enduro bike. That's all I can tell you about it at this time.

We've got a lot in the development hopper at the moment but I am being purposefully tight-lipped about things. Hopefully folks understand.

We don't have any plans to make anymore Delta's at this time. When we sell thru the remaining ones we will be exiting that category for now.

Thanks,

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the response, I didn't mean to criticize, or try to get you to spill your secrets. You guys are doing a great job, that's why I'd like to buy more bikes from you.But right now I'm looking for something a little more slack and All Mountain-y.
    Kinda bummed that I missed the Delta. I sometimes feel the need for something more road friendly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    Kinda bummed that I missed the Delta. I sometimes feel the need for something more road friendly.
    You and me both. I like a road ride occasionally but my road bike weighs almost the same as how old it is and the bike is almost 40 years old.

And also to the person talking about 26 or 27.5" wheels. I also wish for something along those lines as 26ers suit what I like to ride more than 29ers. Just imagine a 26" goblin .

mtbr member

In Development?

I too would buy a CX bike like the Delta if they had one with a similar spec at a similar price. I'm also interested in a 100-120 mm 650b hardtail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    +1 for an AM Airborne bike. I have the Goblin and would love an AM bike to complete the stable.

mtbr member
    I would say build a 26 AM bike with enough room to squeeze 650b wheelsets in. The zeppelin elite fits this bill with a switch to a fox fork or a 650b specific fork.. That probably would not work since you guys love your RS forks and they don't work well with 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This is just water cooler talk, nothing directed at Airborne.

I would be interested in a Hobgoblin with 130mm travel, geo like the Stumpjumper 29, 15mm front axle, with short stem and wide bars. For a 27.5 something similar to the Norco Killer B options would also be interesting.

Not sure if I agree with a convertible 26 to 27.5 bike since it would throw all the geo and BB heights out of whack. Then you have to use something like Rocky Mountain's Ride-9 system but that would make the frame more complicated and more expensive which goes against Airborne's model.

After riding the Goblin when I get back on my 26er I feel like I'm on a kid's bike and can more easily go over the bars. I'm more of a trail rider and don't get air often so flickability is not a big issue for me so I'm liking the stability and traction of the bigger tires. I haven't ridden a 27.5 but it seems like it is perfect for agressive trail/AM applications.

Just my two cents...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm keeping a eye out for a 26er AM-style bike from Airborne.

I like the company philosphy and support it.

mtbr member

In Development?

Quote Originally Posted by betorac View Post

Not sure if I agree with a convertible 26 to 27.5 bike since it would throw all the geo and BB heights out of whack. .

Just my two cents...
    How does changing the wheel size modify geometry? You raise the bb about a 1/2". But your angles will stay the same.

Something with short chain stays would be nice if you go am 29er.

Def something with a slacker HA.

And I'm not saying they should market it as such. But if someone could modify to 650b. That would be nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    Something with short chain stays would be nice if you go am 29er.

Def something with a slacker HA.
    Exactly what I was looking for. I'm starting to gather parts for a Yelli Screamy build.

mtbr member

In Development?

Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    Exactly what I was looking for. I'm starting to gather parts for a Yelli Screamy build.
    Have you got to ride one yet?! I love the yelli. I should have one in about two weeks. I'm very excited.

Airborne Flight Crew
    How does changing the wheel size modify geometry? You raise the bb about a 1/2". But your angles will stay the same.
    Angles may stay the same, but center of gravity changes, and deflection on the fork/suspension changes. Incrementally, yes, but it changes. Better to do one size the correct way, (and cheaper) than to try to do a "2 for 1" where nobody will be happy. (Except the 650bers )

An "AM" 26er will be a nice addition to the line up - 150-160mm travel, slack geometry with a tough frame and 2.4 tires. MMMmmmm
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member

In Development?

Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Angles may stay the same, but center of gravity changes, and deflection on the fork/suspension changes. Incrementally, yes, but it changes. Better to do one size the correct way, (and cheaper) than to try to do a "2 for 1" where nobody will be happy. (Except the 650bers )

An "AM" 26er will be a nice addition to the line up - 150-160mm travel, slack geometry with a tough frame and 2.4 tires. MMMmmmm
    I can understand center of gravity changes obviously. But how does raising the bike increase deflection on suspension??

That makes no sense to me.

I so agree that an AM 26er would be good. And I'm not saying make a 650b. I'm saying just allow the possibility to convert. Look at the SC nickel/butchers. They were not popular at all when released. But now everyone wants one to convert to 650b.

2.4 tires??? My god! I thought my 2.1s were big. I'm so behind in someways haha

Airborne Flight Crew
    I can understand center of gravity changes obviously. But how does raising the bike increase deflection on suspension??

That makes no sense to me.

I so agree that an AM 26er would be good. And I'm not saying make a 650b. I'm saying just allow the possibility to convert. Look at the SC nickel/butchers. They were not popular at all when released. But now everyone wants one to convert to 650b.

2.4 tires??? My god! I thought my 2.1s were big. I'm so behind in someways haha
    Deflection (maybe this is a bad term to use, not sure...?) changes because the axle is further away from the ground/impact point. Again, this is minimal, but with bikes and suspension - millimeters (and in this case, a larger diameter wheel) do make a difference.

I run a little extreme with tire sizes I like 2.4 for all around (except for smooth/flow trail xc blasting). 2.3 is probably more reasonable.

650b might be a good choice, there is momentum in that class... Never rode one, but loved putting my 29ers their limits. Just need a bike to pick up where the 29ers leave off, haha.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I guess my point was if you convert to 27.5 and want to keep the same BB height, than you have to to alter the goes. If you don't mind the higher center of gravity than no, the geos wouldn't change.

Bigger tires are the bomb! Got to give them a try, kind of like going up in wheel size but not as dramatic. Tires are the cheapest way to change how your bike rides.

mtbr member
    I've ridden a few bikes that have been converted to 650b and I *personally* didn't like the higher BB and ride feel, but that's just me. I think to give 650b a fair shake the bike should be designed around it. Everyone is different though....

The all-mountain bike in 26" format is definitely in the design hopper....and Jerry, having access to the top-secret Airborne StoneCutters Inner Sanctum has seen drawings of it.

I'll be honest, I'm not that excited about 650b. I know a lot of manufacturers have jumped on board, but to me the jury is still out. I can see its application where smaller riders have a problem riding a frame designed around 29" wheels and would benefit from a 650b wheel (like, for example, if we made a sub-16" sized Goblin it would almost have to have 650b's). But for a rider that's got the body proportions that allows for the use of 29", I don't see the 650B thing being any advantage.

I think a lot of the sudden uptake in 650b is due to manufacturers not wanting to get caught with their pants down again when another wheel size takes off, much like what happened when 29ers finally became "the thing". Product managers were scrambling then to make up missing ground and they don't want to be there again.

I'm not saying we WON'T do a 650b in the future........but we've got to focus on SKU's that sell well and make sense for us..........and if you put a gun to my head and asked me if we should make one right now I wouldn't have a good answer for that question yet.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post

The all-mountain bike in 26" format is definitely in the design hopper...
    I only saw this part and got to excited to read the rest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If I wasn't armchair quarterbacking than I agree with BigDaddyFlyer, considering unknown of 27.5 and options of 26er. Definitely interested to see what gets developed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Have you got to ride one yet?! I love the yelli. I should have one in about two weeks. I'm very excited.
    No, but I've never seen any bad feedback about them. I'm excited, frame should be in around the end of the month, will probably take a few months to build.

mtbr member

In Development?

In Development?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362170248.267837.jpg

Here is the one ill be buying.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Here is the one ill be buying.
    Nice, Putting a tower pro on mine too. Picking up the fork at my LBS today.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast