Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Creaking HobGob

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18

    Creaking HobGob

    Hi All,

    Something in my rear suspension system creaks. What part of the linkage is most likely to creak? I assume it's dry and needs to be greased? If so, what grease do you guys recommend and where can I find the torque specs?

    BTW, I've got less than 40 miles on the bike.

    Thanks!

    Ruben

  2. #2
    Airborne Product Dude
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofthewoods View Post
    Hi All,

    Something in my rear suspension system creaks. What part of the linkage is most likely to creak? I assume it's dry and needs to be greased? If so, what grease do you guys recommend and where can I find the torque specs?

    BTW, I've got less than 40 miles on the bike.

    Thanks!

    Ruben


    Hey Ruben,

    Hope you are enjoying the bike! OK, like any full-suspension bike there will be the occasional noise with all of the moving parts involved, but if you are having a persistant noise something may be loose.

    During the break-in period (the first several rides) things will settle in and they will need to be checked/tightened. The two most common bolts to check are the upper and lower main pivot bolts. These are the ones that have a 17mm bolt head on one side and a 6mm allen bolt on the other side.

    We have torques listed on the website but I'll past them here for your reference:

    Recommended Torques:

    Upper and lower shock pins: 0.98NM

    Upper Pivot to frame (6802 bearing): 1.96NM

    Upper Pivot to seat stay (699Z bearing): 0.88NM

    Lower Pivot to frame (6802 bearing): 1.96NM

    Lower Pivot to chain stay (6902 bearing): 1.76NM


    Also, check your seat clamp and seatpost clamp. Believe it or not they are the most common culprits on a bike in regards to noise.

    Hope that helps!

    Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gunner66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    165
    Yep just went through this with mine. Problem solved by torqueing the suspension bolts like Jeremy suggested.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    123
    Isn't Jeremy awesome??? Makes us mtbr lurkers all starry-eyed when he posts!

    Seriously, bro, as far as presence here, you really do rock. Keep it up!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mitch1171's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    506
    Did you guys use any kind of grease on these? Ive torqued mine down again and they are making that noise again. Let me know its definately the upper and lower pivots! Thanks

  6. #6
    Airborne Product Dude
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Did you guys use any kind of grease on these? Ive torqued mine down again and they are making that noise again. Let me know its definately the upper and lower pivots! Thanks
    A thin layer of Park or Phils grease on the outer surface of the bearing sleeve that slides thru the bearing ID is not a bad idea. Also, ensure that the bolts are still tight. If they back off again, put a drop of blue Loctite on the threads and torque them down.

    Also check everything. Seat, post clamp, crank bolt, chainring bolts, pedals, etc. Also on occasion if dirt gets between the bearing and the machined alu race in the HT the creak could come from there. Clean, grease, then re-install.

    Riding in sandy soil often necessitates more frequent cleaning/lubing/upkeep on bikes in general, especially full suspension rigs.

    Hope that helps!

    Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mitch1171's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    506
    Just got rid of my creaking noise! Make sure the rear skewer is really tight! Apparently when the shop fixed some spokes a hobbit tightened it back. The bike is totally quiet now. Hope this helps

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Hey Ruben,

    Hope you are enjoying the bike! OK, like any full-suspension bike there will be the occasional noise with all of the moving parts involved, but if you are having a persistant noise something may be loose.

    During the break-in period (the first several rides) things will settle in and they will need to be checked/tightened. The two most common bolts to check are the upper and lower main pivot bolts. These are the ones that have a 17mm bolt head on one side and a 6mm allen bolt on the other side.

    We have torques listed on the website but I'll past them here for your reference:

    Recommended Torques:

    Upper and lower shock pins: 0.98NM

    Upper Pivot to frame (6802 bearing): 1.96NM

    Upper Pivot to seat stay (699Z bearing): 0.88NM

    Lower Pivot to frame (6802 bearing): 1.96NM

    Lower Pivot to chain stay (6902 bearing): 1.76NM


    Also, check your seat clamp and seatpost clamp. Believe it or not they are the most common culprits on a bike in regards to noise.

    Hope that helps!

    Jeremy
    Forgot to report back!

    Thanks, man! It was the lower pivot bolt. It's nice a quiet now.

    Love the bike!

    Best,

    Ruben

Similar Threads

  1. Some Pics from my ride with the HOBGOB XO!!!
    By Mitch1171 in forum Airborne
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-21-2013, 08:38 AM
  2. rz 140 creaking.
    By akiracornell in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 12:00 PM
  3. Fox F29 RLC is creaking
    By Buster1971 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 08:33 PM
  4. Creaking
    By Jwind in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-13-2012, 08:14 AM
  5. Creaking BB
    By jgerhardt in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 06:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •