Super Clyde

Considering a Goblin

I'm considering getting a Goblin, along with a few other bikes (Spec. Carve Expert, Cannondale Trail SL, Niner EMD9). Even though I haven't heard anything bad about Airborne, I'm stiil a little apprehensive about buying it sight unseen, that's a pretty significant chunk of money. Tell me what other bikes you considered, and why you chose Airborne over a bike from a LBS that you could see, touch, and ride first.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I test rode the spec carve, rockhopper.... I think the Goblin feels a lot like the Carve did (the price on the carve i was looking at was $1750). So far I am very satisfied with the Goblin, feels like a $1700+ bike! Uhhh I think Airborne has a pretty good return policy as well, so the only thing you might be out is a lil shipping fee and assembly (my first mountain bike evar and I had no problem with it). Airborne has great customer service as well, I've asked many questions in e-mails that were answered promptly. Seems like a company that truely cares about its customers. I think you should do yourself a favor and get a good bike for a good price.....I don't regret it.

mtbr member
    While I'm putting in an order for a Guardian (tomorrow) and not a Goblin, I figured I'd throw in my two cents for why I chose Airborne. They simply have the best value for the money at this, or darn near any, price point. I narrowed my choices down to the Guardian and the Specialized Hardrock Disc which I would've bought at an LBS but the components simply don't match up. Granted, I'm buying it sight unseen but after a couple of emails with Airborne folks, I feel very confident in my choice.

BTW, hope you don't want an 18" Goblin because they're out (until sometime in July), per a thread in this forum. Order soon!

mtbr member

Considering a Goblin

I rode the Trek competitors (Mamba, X-Cal and a couple others) along with some comparable bikes from GT, Scott, and Specialized (I don't remember the models now). Honestly, the Goblin won me over for feel and especially value. Non of the other bikes compare to the Goblin when you look at the components you're getting for the money. I bought a Goblin and never looked back.

TXTony
    I looked at several comparable 29ers at several LBS we have here in the metro area..Trek/Specialized/Cannondale and Giant...the first thing I compared where components...for the same price nothing really came close to the Goblin..especially the Reba fork...I tested a few and found them all to be decent bikes...to come close to the Goblin spec wise I would have to jump up several hundred dollars..then throw on top of that getting some decent wheels as most all bikes nowadays put on oem wheels that leave a lot to be desired...

Buying sight unseen did not bother me...reviews helped..knowing bikes and what I like also helped...my Goal as a 29er hold out was to find a good bike at a good price to try a 29er in the event that I did not like it I would not have a ton of money in it...the Niner was high on my list as a contender..I was going to by the frame then build the bike up pretty similar to the Goblin...after pricing everything that it would cost to build it up it was not even close price wise to the the Goblin..

During the decision process I contacted Airborne several times with questions by email and phone...their customer service is top notch as well as their experience and advise..

In the end I bought the Goblin..put some Ringle BF wheels on it and still came out better than what a LBS could offer in the price range of a new 29er with new wheels..

Shipping was quick...packaging was great...assembly was a breeze..the entire experience left me with the feeling that I would buy another bike from Airborne sight unseen again..

I know other forums and some people call the Goblin and entry level 29er...seems more like an intermediate bike to me..very few entry level bikes come equipped with the specs of the Goblin...after all it is a hard tail...a good frame with good stuff on it..just having the Reba fork on it was enough to make the purchase worth it..

After riding the Goblin for almost six months now I have never regretted the decision to purchase it and use the bike for trails and gravel grinders and even some commuting stuff..I am still not ready to bury the 26ers but for my first 29er I have not had the desire or wish I had bought a different bike..I am still a hard tail fan and this is a awesome hard tail 29er..

mtbr member
    I didn't buy a goblin but bought the Hobgoblin XO after test riding a specialized camber, trek superfly, giant trance and giant anthem. Most comfortable bike was the anthem. One day I was reading through a bike mag and saw the add for the hobgoblin and noticed it had a very similar set up as the anthem and then better yet they had a full xo setup. I compared the anthem and the hobgoblin side by side and they are so close in set up. However the Airborne had the components that just blew the Anthem out of the water so I went with what was best for my wallet and I made a great choice as the bike is awesome. This is no dis on the other brands at all as Ive owned some of the other brands. Just couldn't beat the component set up the Airborne had. Its a great bike and rides almost like the anthem except it doesn't bob as much on climbs which I like. Good luck. Come join the family!

mtbr member

Considering a Goblin

TXTony nailed it. I too bought a Goblin and after a few months put some Black Flag Pro wheels on it. I still came out ahead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm in the same boat as TXTony and KrazyKreitzer. I scoped out a few others from Trek and Specialized and nothing compared to the Goblin. I just bought some cheap Black flag wheels and i'm still under the cost of the other bikes.

Don't be afraid to buy online from Airborne.

mtbr member
    It was all the rave reviews on here and elsewhere on the internet that initially got me interested in the goblin. What really convinced me to pull the trigger is the great value and customer service. I test rode a specialized carve comp that the lbs was selling for 1300 and wouldn't budge , and once I compared specs to the goblin it was a no brainer. The geometry on the goblin is very similar to the carve so at least I knew what to expect as far as sizing and feel.

Any time you buy a bike that you haven't test rode you're taking a bit of a leap of faith, but you won't regret this one. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a goblin owner that doesn't love their bike, I know I do!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I was replacing my 1994 Stumpjumper and looking very hard at a new 2012 Stumpjumper Comp (hardtail) and other bikes like that from Trek, Giant and the other 'big' names. I'm somewhat tall, 6'4", and nobody had a bike of that caliber in stock - everyone would have to order me one and i'd have to pay up front. So, basically, no matter what I did I'd have to buy a bike 'sight unseen'.

Doing my research I came across the Goblin and it was spec'd almost exactly like the 2012 Stumpjumper Comp but almost $1k less! When LBSs told me they had no plans to order any XL frames and the Specialized shop would not come one penny off of retail my decision was made to go with the Goblin.

Now, some months later, and with over 1k dirt miles on my Goblin I do not regret my decision one bit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Pretty much what has been said by others in this thread.

Value for the money. No middleman means better components for the same price.

As far as test ride: I was not concerned. I kept hearing that i must ride to see if it "fits".

Well with input from Jeremy (Big Daddy Flyer) I got the 18 in and its good to go.

Frankly my opinion is way too much is made over proper fit. That is why they have spacers, stems, seat adjustment etc. Of course within reason. Don't want to buy a 16 in frame if your 6 ft 4 in.

Anyway, I went Goblin XO and glad I did.

Just pull the trigger. You will be very happy.

Super Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post

Frankly my opinion is way too much is made over proper fit. That is why they have spacers, stems, seat adjustment etc. Of course within reason. Don't want to buy a 16 in frame if your 6 ft 4 in.
    I couldn't disagree more. I shouldn't have to go out and spend $XXX on parts like stems, bars, etc. after spending the money on a bike. What I really need to do is compare frame geometry and see what I come up with. I found out today I may be able to get a substantial discount on a Trek, and if I can I'll get a Stache 7, but the Goblin is definitely still on my radar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    After considering a few different options, I was down to an Trek X-Cal or a Goblin. What I REALLY wanted was a Santa Cruz Superlight, but I was being true to my budget. The bikes were very similarly specd IMO and I did not feel that the LBS experience and Trek brand name were worth an extra $500. My Goblin is about a month old, has been ridden 50-60 miles so far (most of it off road), the only mod I have made to it is a new saddle, and I couldn't be much happier really. If the only riding I did was my local singletrack, the stock saddle would have been fine, but I wanted something with a little more give for the mostly seated family type rides where I ride less aggressively and for sometimes longer periods of time. I plan to move the brakes and shifters very slightly in-board to make room for some larger grips (I have big hands), and MAYBE replace the front tire with a more legit knobby, but other than that I plan to pretty much ride it as is until something requires replacement. I'm 6'2", 215 lbs with long arms and shortish legs, and the 20" is a near ideal fit stock. Nice bike, great people, big time value.