mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Considering Airborne

I may order an Airborne Seeker and would like to hear from other owners on the quality of the bike and their buying experience. Particularly, how long did it take to receive your bike from the point of ordering? Did you assemble it yourself and if so, what was it like? How was the customer service?

Finally, I'm 235, 6' tall, and have an inseam of 32". I would prefer to ride more upright because my back arches a bit and it's just more comfortable. What size frame do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hello,

I bought a Seeker at the beginning of the summer. I received the bike pretty quick. Less than a week I think. Only out of the ordinary thing is you must sign for the bike, makes sense they don't want to leave it on your door step due to its value. You can call to make arrangements to pick it up if you won't be home. You can also make other arrangements as needed. The assembly is very easy. Mount the handle bars and front wheel and seat post and that was it for me. I am extremely pleased with the bike. The quality is awsome. The frame is rock solid and the drive train is really nice as a 2x10. I basically use the small front ring for trail and the large front ring for street.

Airborne's customer service is as good as it gets. They are small and provide personal service. It is not like dealing with verizon or the cable company, just the opposite.

I am 6'4", 245 lbs, I bought a 22" frame. It fits my 37 inseam well. You don't want the 22, next size down at least. In terms of upright ride, I had to change my stem and bars to get more in that direction. It will vary by frame size and personal measurements, but my Seeker had me too stretched out. I went the short stem, wider handlebar route and now the bike fit is perfect for me, FWIW, I am now running a 40mm stem and 750mm wide bars with a 3" rise.

I highly recommend the bike, you will be happy.

mtbr member

Considering Airborne

I don't have a Seeker but I do have a Goblin and a HobGoblin X0. The guys at Airborne were obviously good at what they do as I bought two of their bikes. Airborne is local to me, about 35 miles or so and their customer service has been 5-star.

I can't say what shipping time is like because I picked both of my bikes up at their HQ. I did all of the assembly on the HGXO (it's easy if you know how to use a few basic hand tools). The Goblin was a demo bike that was already assembled but I later swapped over to a silver frame set and did all of the work myself.

As far as frame size goes, send an email to support@airbornebicycles.com with your measurements and concerns and they'll get you set up.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I got my Airborne Goblin about 2 months ago at nearly 370 pounds. This morning I weighted in at 303.6 pounds.. The Airborne quality has really proven to me to be strong and the few customer service questions I had Jeremy took very good care of answering them in a speedy and thorough understanding since I am a newb..
    @GetFitScott on Instagram

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Spend some time searching around this forum, opinions on customer service are pretty much unanimous that the Airborne guys are awesome. I wouldn't want to recommend you a size but if you call their number more than likely you will get an answer from one of the owners who will get you in the right size frame based on your measurements.

The bikes ship out within two days of placing the order (although it's usually the same or next day) and you will receive the tracking information the day after it ships out. Depending how far you are from the shipping warehouse in California, normal Fedex shipping times to your door.

All you really need is a metric allen set and tire pump with presta valve adaptor for assembly. You will probably want to pick up a shock pump for the Recon fork if you already don't have one since the shock comes from the factory set for a lower weight.

Seriously though, call Airborne and talk to a live person and it will completely put your mind at ease about buying from them.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BR101 View Post
    I got my Airborne Goblin about 2 months ago at nearly 370 pounds. This morning I weighted in at 303.6 pounds.. The Airborne quality has really proven to me to be strong and the few customer service questions I had Jeremy took very good care of answering them in a speedy and thorough understanding since I am a newb..
    Congrats on that weight loss man, awesome stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks all for your replies. I just pulled the trigger on a Seeker with an 18" frame. Eric from airborne explained I would sit more upright on an 18" than a 20". It doesn't entirely make sense to me, but I took the leap of faith anyway. We'll know for sure in a week or so.

I'm really looking forward to some trips with my son whose old enough to keep up now. We'll probably do a back country whitetail deer hunt on or bikes this fall too and I cannot wait!

Fred

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfritz View Post
    We'll probably do a back country whitetail deer hunt on or bikes this fall too and I cannot wait!

Fred
    That sounds like an amazing idea! Hope you'll put some details in the 'Where did you ride your Airborne today' thread if you go through with it!

Just curious, were you able to get in touch with Airborne quickly in the last week? I talked a friend of mine into Airborne for his new bike but he hasn't been able to get ahold of them to get frame size figured out and he's been trying for a week or two now!

Seriously though, we're gonna need pictures of this biking/hunting trip, freaking cool idea!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Slounsberry View Post
    Just curious, were you able to get in touch with Airborne quickly in the last week? I talked a friend of mine into Airborne for his new bike but he hasn't been able to get ahold of them to get frame size figured out and he's been trying for a week or two.
    They are seriously one of the easiest companies to get a hold of, anywhere. In the off chance they don't answer the phone you can expect a call back in an hour or two (assuming you left a message), or if you email them or send a PM through this forum expect a response the same day or next. Make sure you buddy has the right phone number or email address.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Slounsberry View Post
    That sounds like an amazing idea! Hope you'll put some details in the 'Where did you ride your Airborne today' thread if you go through with it!

Just curious, were you able to get in touch with Airborne quickly in the last week? I talked a friend of mine into Airborne for his new bike but he hasn't been able to get ahold of them to get frame size figured out and he's been trying for a week or two now!

Seriously though, we're gonna need pictures of this biking/hunting trip, freaking cool idea!
    Is he leaving a message with a call-back number? We are small and if we are on the phones it goes to voicemail.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Is he leaving a message with a call-back number? We are small and if we are on the phones it goes to voicemail.

Jeremy
    I bet he wasn't leaving a message or something. I remember when I called you guys got back to me immediately!
    Either way he got ahold of you yesterday and ordered a Goblin in time for it to ship same day! Another one joins the Airborne Army! Apparently another friend of his who I don't even know was suggesting Airborne too, you guys are taking over!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My Seeker is in California.... Get here to Pennsylvania damn it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Eric/Jeremy - you may want to amend your contract with FedEx as I just found out that neither you nor I can remove the signature requirement from a delivery. FedEx insisted that I either pick up the bike or arrange for me to pick it up at a location 20 miles away. I don't plan to be at home when it's delivered, and there won't be anyone here for the rest of the week during the day since my wife and I both work. I understand the reason for signature requirements but you should really set this up to be optional. I live in the kind of neighborhood where the Amish and Mennonites would probably shoot a thief so I'm 100% OK with the delivery person dropping it off out back. I guess I'll have to make a 40 mile round trip in the opposite direction of where I work sometime during the week which I was hoping to avoid.

Fred

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfritz View Post
    I understand the reason for signature requirements but you should really set this up to be optional.
    Hey Fred,

Sorry to hear about your problem. We have no plans for making it an option. If we made signature-required an option, it defeats the purpose of having it.

In the past we have been burned when we've tried to ship without a signature and bikes have disappeared or folks have claimed they never received them. I like to think everyone is honest, but unfortunately we have to live in the real world. We are small and operate at tight profit margins, and taking the hit for a stolen/missing bike really hurts us. if we made it an option and the bike disappeared, we couldn't ask the customer to cover the hit.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I ordered my 16" Seeker last Friday. Got it this past Wednesday. Like the other folks said, it's simple to assemble- seat post, front wheel, pedals (sold separately) and handlebars. A 4,5 and 6 metric Allen keys/T-Handles is what you need if I remember right.

The folks at Airborne are very helpful no matter the issue. I had a slightly warped brake disc, but after a brief discussion, I was able to straighten it out... pun intended.

In any case, there aren't too many great places to ride around here but I can't wait to take it to Korea.

Good luck.