FKA Malibu412

Clydes: 6' 6" plussers

Working on an alloy build race/xc oriented, something under 30 lbs. All of my current mtb builds are 30lbs plus and consist of a 29er FS in XXL size, a steel 1X9 HT and a really cheap steel ss.

I'm considering the 22" Goblin frame but I am 6' 7" with around a 37" inseam, shorter torso and lots of arm. I do my builds with stems in the 90mm-105mm range, 30" bars and setback seat posts if necessary. Seems to work with my ape arms and gives good control and leverage on the trail.

Just checking to see if there are any other Goblin riders about my size and what their impressions are. I know I am a bit beyond the envelope of recommended height for the 22" frame and I know everyone's proportions fit different bikes differently. Not asking for recommendations as much as personal impressions with this frame, what geo adjustments you've made, and how the fit seems for you.

TIA
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm 6'3" and I opted for the 20" goblin. For me I think the 22inch would be a hair big on me. I have had a couple almost ball busters on the top tube and was glad for the extra Clearance.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You are definitely significantly taller than I am, but I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseem (big thick wide torso) and ride a 20" with a 90mm stem and 725mm bars.

Impressions? Freaking love the frame.
    Eric

FKA Malibu412

Boom! (pulled the trigger)

Here it is. 22" inch frame built mostly with bits I had lying around or on other bikes. Drive train mix of X7, Shimano and Spot in 1 X 9. Fork and wheels came from my 2010 Stumpy FSR 29 due to upgraded parts for the Stumpy (Flows, 140mm Tower pro). Juicy 5 brakes that are now on the 4th bike in the last 5 years. Still have a couple things to add/change. Gonna go tubeless, smaller brake rotors to save some weight, and a chain keeper. 28 lbs.

Rides amazing! Feels big enough for my 6' 7" frame.

Clydes: 6' 6" plussers-image.jpg

mtbr member

That tall seatpost and 140 mm fork make it look like a 26" wheeled bike.

Glad you like the bike. I love my Goblin.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    140 mm fork
    WhatchutalkinaboutWillis?? That would void the warranty. Does it look 140? It's not.

But yeah, I really like it.

Airborne Product Dude
    Looks great! If nothing else, the advent of 29inch wheels has helped us tall guys have bikes that look proportionally correct instead of clown-like!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    WhatchutalkinaboutWillis?? That would void the warranty. Does it look 140? It's not.

But yeah, I really like it.
    Long night at work. Misread your post. Def doesn't look like a 140 mm fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    6'5" and love my black goblin. Have over 4230 miles on her and she is solid. I have made some changes and upgrades for my size and riding style. Clydes: 6' 6" plussers-image.jpg

FKA Malibu412
    Nice build Mason. Ground Controls too, I see. Iodine wheels. Do you have the weight?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    27 lb now. After the pic was taken brakes and levers were changed out to bb7. An the post was changed back to a Thompson. The elixers were fine but I ride all winter and I was finding to much piston seal leakage at 0f and below completely lost front brake one a -5 ride. The bb7 just work they don't care how hot or cold it is

FKA Malibu412
    Finally got out on some single track and I have to say that this bike is dialed!

The geo, the fit, the handling, weight, components, everything really works nicely together. This is my first alloy hard tail and it feels very snappy in acceleration and cornering for a 29er with not all-that-short chain stays (would love to ride the Evo now!) All my previous hard tails were/are steel frames and while they provide some flex to smooth things out a bit, none of them have handled as well as this bike for me.

Going to my first race of the season with it this weekend and I'm pretty..... (wait for it)

STOKED!

FKA Malibu412
    Mason, at 6' 5", is that the 20" or 22" frame? Hard to tell with the camera angle and I can't enlarge the pic enough to read the sticker on the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    22"

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Finally got out on some single track and I have to say that this bike is dialed!

The geo, the fit, the handling, weight, components, everything really works nicely together. This is my first alloy hard tail and it feels very snappy in acceleration and cornering for a 29er with not all-that-short chain stays (would love to ride the Evo now!) All my previous hard tails were/are steel frames and while they provide some flex to smooth things out a bit, none of them have handled as well as this bike for me.

Going to my first race of the season with it this weekend and I'm pretty..... (wait for it)

STOKED!
    Thanks! That's awesome to hear. We put a lot of time and effort into development of that frame. That's partly why we decided to not change the geo and offer the EVO in addition to the regular Goblin.

The EVO rides great, but it is a little more twitchy on descents and bumpy stuff due to the shorter rear end.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Hovering just a bit over 6'4" and my 22" Green Goblin fits and rides better than any other hard tail I've owned

FKA Malibu412

Last pic...until the next one

A better pic of a really great riding bike. Down to 27lbs with tubeless. Not too bad for a middle component group on a 22" frame.

Clydes: 6' 6" plussers-image.jpg