mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Chris King Headset for new Goblin?

Just took my new Goblin out for the 1st ride. Great ride and a terrific build package - with a few short comings. The brand name components are great, but the Airborne branded parts are a bit lacking. I'm planning on holding off on upgrading most of the parts, but the headset has to go. The rubber seal rubs on the top of the head tube and squeaks like crazy. I'm talking loud enough to hear over the sound of my heart pounding of a long climb.

I've been riding and building bikes for a while, and I've tried every trick in the book (short of cutting off the entire seal). What I can't figure out is what Chris King headset is the right fit. Anyone know?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seph View Post
    Just took my new Goblin out for the 1st ride. Great ride and a terrific build package - with a few short comings. The brand name components are great, but the Airborne branded parts are a bit lacking. I'm planning on holding off on upgrading most of the parts, but the headset has to go. The rubber seal rubs on the top of the head tube and squeaks like crazy. I'm talking loud enough to hear over the sound of my heart pounding of a long climb.

I've been riding and building bikes for a while, and I've tried every trick in the book (short of cutting off the entire seal). What I can't figure out is what Chris King headset is the right fit. Anyone know?
    weird, I have ridden my Goblin for almost a year and I don't have any issues my head set. If you go on the airborne website and look under goblin specs you will see this

Headset Ahead Sealed Cartridge 1 1/8" to 1.5" tapered

mtbr member
    This is the style of headset that is in the Goblin (and also the HobGoblin) :

NO.42/ACB

I'm not a Chris King expert but from looking at their site I don't see a HS on there that will fit the angular contact bearing surface of the frame.

This is the first I've heard of the HS seal on a new Goblin making noise. Can you put a little grease or lube on the seal?

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    My seal squeaked slightly on my first ride as well, although it was barely noticeable. I put a little chain oil on it and haven't heard a peep since

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    This is the style of headset that is in the Goblin (and also the HobGoblin) :

NO.42/ACB

I'm not a Chris King expert but from looking at their site I don't see a HS on there that will fit the angular contact bearing surface of the frame.

This is the first I've heard of the HS seal on a new Goblin making noise. Can you put a little grease or lube on the seal?

Jeremy
    Thanks Jeremy. The sound is definately rubber seal rubbing on the top of thr head tube. I'll see what I can dig up. NorCal is nothing but dust this time of year, so adding any exposed lube is just going attract that dust and turn to lapping compound.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    *shrugs* mine made noise as well, but i just lubed it up and wiped off any excess.... haven't heard anything since.

Somewhere on my crank is making noise now though, that one... I can't figure out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Auzy View Post
    *shrugs* mine made noise as well, but i just lubed it up and wiped off any excess.... haven't heard anything since.

Somewhere on my crank is making noise now though, that one... I can't figure out!
    Check the chainring bolts, and the crank bolt on the non-drive side. Next check your pedals. Be certain the threads are greased and they are torqued up tight.

Also, although it sounds counter-intuitive, check your seatpost clamp and seat clamp. Often people think they have crank noise when it actually is a saddle or post clamp.

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ill czech it out, thanks BDF!