Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Changing to a 2x9 setup

I currently have the Guardian, and the 3x9 setup is not bad, but I feel like I rarely use the biggest and smallest front cogs when I'm on the trails.

I'm pretty new to this sport, but I was wondering if a 1x9 setup was unusual? What are the benefits and disadvantages (other than not being able to have more gears) be? Does anyone currently have this setup?

Also, would this considerably reduce the weight of my setup as well? That would be a good plus for sure.
    Last edited by swl7; 10-09-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: changed title to 2x9 since I will be transitioning into that

mtbr member
    I also see this, but I'm not 100% sure on the current sprockets and chain rings on the guardian at the moment. Workshop: How To Convert Your Mountain Bike To 1x9 Or 2x9 Gearing - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You might consider asking your questions in the appropriate forums. This one for example in the drivetrain or beginners forum. Your brake question ine the brake or beginners forum. Your tube question in the wheels and tire or beginners forum. This forum is for Airborne specific topics. Most of your questions are general bike questions.
    But to not be a dick, yes 1x9 is very common, yes you will save some weight, mostly from removing the shifter and derailleur. Try doing your rides without shifting the front gears before committing to the swap. If you do go through with it you will need to shorten the chain and possibly run a guide or tension device.

mtbr member
    if you really feel that you dont need them, then it is easy to delete the others. get an appropriate bashguard, to match your 32 tooth middle ring. this will make it so you dont need different bolts. you just unbolt the outer ring, put the bash in its place, bolt it back. takes a 5mm and a 6mm allen.

for the small. similar. just unbolt it. you may have to remove the drive side crank arm, as ive never done it, but thats not real hard either. then delete the front derailleur. remove its cable and shifter as well. you may want to get a chain guide to help with falling chain, but i would resize the chain first, and see if you have falling issues first, no need to spend money unnecessarily.

working on pics of what im talking about.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info zukrider and.... aikane (even though I feel like you've been stalking my mtbr posts).

I went out yesterday to one of the more technical areas down here in Austin TX. I managed to get through it without changing any of my front gears. Rather than a 1x9 setup, I am considering a 2x9 as well. I guess this would make me keep my front der on, but I don't mind that. My biggest front cog ate some of the rocks so the teeth are pretty jacked up. I think removing it is the best option for the trails where I'm at.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just went to 2x9, Removed my largest ring and replaced to with a bashguard, I've never used it anyway. I just set the high limit screw on the der to stop it from going beyond the middle ring, and shortened the chain. Works perfectly.

mtbr member
    swildnm, I may have to try that. it seems easy enough to replace the largest cog with a bashguard. I may do this when the cog has almost no teeth haha.

As for shortening the chain, do I do this myself pretty easily or would even purchasing a new shortened chain be ideal?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just shorten what you have:
    Get a KMC Missing link for a 9 speed chain, and break the chain with a chain tool.
    Pull the chain out of the rear derailleur, and wrap it around your two largest cogs. Find where it could link together again, add two links, and remove the rest. re-lace it through the rear derailleur, and link it together with the KMC missing link.

This isnt totally necessary but you'll probably get better shifts and less chain slap if you shorten it. Added benefit of having the KMC missing link is that you can easily remove the chain for cleaning.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I went 2x9 too, never looked back. Like you, i had problems with the big chainring hitting stuff and felt it just got in the way. i have debated about replacing the stock 32 and 22 tooth rings with bigger ones, maybe a 38 and 24 rings like the new goblin. but i'll leave that until one of these rings break.

all you need is one of these in 104 bcd

Products

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfifty View Post
    I went 2x9 too, never looked back. Like you, i had problems with the big chainring hitting stuff and felt it just got in the way. i have debated about replacing the stock 32 and 22 tooth rings with bigger ones, maybe a 38 and 24 rings like the new goblin. but i'll leave that until one of these rings break.

all you need is one of these in 104 bcd

Products
    cool thanks for the info. I'll probably purchase one of the bashguards once i'm certain I want to transition to the 2x9 setup. I guess the only part I'd have trouble would be shortening the chain since I've never done it. So, would I need to get a 32T 104bcd?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by swl7 View Post
    thanks for the info zukrider and.... aikane (even though I feel like you've been stalking my mtbr posts).
    "Stalking your post"........gimme a break. This was the first time I replied to one of your post. If it sounded familiar, it was because I basically told the same thing to zukrider too.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by swl7 View Post
    cool thanks for the info. I'll probably purchase one of the bashguards once i'm certain I want to transition to the 2x9 setup. I guess the only part I'd have trouble would be shortening the chain since I've never done it. So, would I need to get a 32T 104bcd?
    yes, 32t 104bcd.

i did not shorten my chain, i haven't had any problems with it so far. i guess ideally it would be better to shorten it, but its not crucial.

mtbr member
    ordered a red bashguard for my guardian! I'll post pictures when I replace the ring and whether or not I shorten the chain

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Know you already ordered one, but this is another great deal on a nice bashguard. Same one I used. Race Face Bash Guard at Jenson

mtbr member
    for the crank arm on the guardian, what tools will I be needing to remove it? Is it a standard allen or would I need a crank puller of some sort?

mtbr member
    Standard Allen. I believe an 8mm. But it's tight, so get a big long one. Better to get a bike specific one in my opinion.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

MTB Fanatic
    I was thinking about doing a 1x9 conversion on my Guardian, but here's the projected cost:

Bashguard ~$15-20
    Paul chainstay ~$50
    BB tool ~$10-20

Weight decrease is minimal, at most a pound. I'm struggling to find more pros than cons at this point.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Tools should not factor in. But either way, why the BB tool? Should not be necessary. Just pull the drive arm off, remove granny, reinstall. Bash is totally worth it just for calf safety! I've got an 11 dimple scar to prove that! Plus the simplicity will be awesome. A pound will be noticeable. And betting you can go without the chain keeper. Just resize the chain to start. If it falls, get a keeper.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Agreed, you shouldn't need a bottom bracket tool. but you may need a Crank Puller if you need to take the crank arm off.

mtbr member
    holy crap. so I got a spindoctor 8mm hex wrench to take out this crank, but I spent about 10 minutes trying to loosen that piece. It didn't strip or anything, but my tool is about to break. Any suggestions on how to take this off?

mtbr member
    are you sure your spinning the correct direction? counter clockwise?

i dont know for sure, its possible the drive side is left hand thread, but i dont believe so.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    no, the drive side is correct in going counter clockwise to loosen it

mtbr member
    hmm. have a torch? a little one? heat up the center of the bolt for 15 seconds, then try again. if there is lock tight, and there should be, this will loosen it.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    hmm don't have one of those. I guess I could try to use a friend's power wrench set or take it to the LBS so they can take it off and I install my bbg bashguard and then they tighten it again lol...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I used a 3/8 drive 8mm hex socket, and a long handle 3/8 ratchet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast