mtbr member
    Sep 2013

caught between a 16 and 18

Hey Airborne riders, im considering a new Goblin and according to Airbornes website im in between a 16 and 18. At 5'7 with a 30 inch inseam im confused and was hoping to get some feedback from some of you as to how they fit and ride. Seems the 16 would be ideal however my concern is feeling to cramped in the cockpit and not so much about standover, plus that bent tube on the new 16s seem to look a lot like a womans style frame. I could be wrong about that "womans" look but ive never seen one in person. Any input would be great

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I was caught in between as well, call and speak to Jeremy, he will ask you several questions that will help. Im 5'8" and went with the 18" after speaking to him, although my inseam is a little larger than your. You will not be unhappy after speaking to Jeremy on the subject.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I was in the same situation also. I'm 5'-8" 30.5 inseam. I went with 18" and couldn't be happier. This is my first mtb and I haven't rode a bike in 10+ years. When I decided I wanted the seeker I went around to shops and rode bikes that were close to the size and geo specs to decide. I may try a shorter stem just to see how it feels but I'mmhappy as is. The bike came in Wednesday, went to the LBS Thursday, picked up Friday and I put 45+ miles on it this weekend. Love it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I am going to go test ride a specialized carve, seems the geometry is very similar to the goblin. Problem is they have their 2013 comp marked down to 1200 which is tempting and I just cant get around my dislike of the bent tube on the goblin. Oh well, nice problems to have I guess

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I think the bent top tube is going to become more common on 29ers. The wheels just do make the standover height an issue. The bent top tube helps accommodate more sizes of people.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm 5'7" 32" inseam. I went with the 16" guardian after to talking with Jeremy. I'm at the max height of the seat tube when I'm in road riding config. I'm ok on trails with dropping the seat an inch. I'm fairly upright on my rides. I'd probably be better off with an 18" from a technical standpoint. But that's ok as I'm not doing any serious riding (an occasional gully big dip/climb here and there) that demands the less upright position.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Actually the bent top tube was one of the main reasons I chose the Goblin. I was in between sizes also and was recommended to go with an 18, but decided on the 16 instead. I would say it would depend on the types of terrain and trails you will be riding.

My previous bike was a Cannondale 29er in medium. It fit well, but I was not comfortable out on the trail with the limited stand over height. I'm in central PA, so the terrain here is pretty rocky and technical. Lots of logs to ride over, rock gardens, etc. The Cannondale was my first 29er, but I didnt like the limited standover. I decided to go with the 16" Goblin and couldn't be happier with it! Everything fits and I can ride it like my old 26".