mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Can't remove fork - Zeppelin Elite

Hey, I've been having problems removing the RS Tora fork on my Zeppelin Elite.

I removed the steerer top cap, and took the stem and spacers off the steerer. However, the fork won't come out of the head tube. I've tried pushing with force and lifting it off the ground, it won't budge. It seems like it's stuck in the headset or something...

How did you get the fork off your Airborne bike (I think they all use the same headset)?

Airborne Product Dude
    Hey Alex,

All of the first generation bikes like the Zepp Elite use ZS-style headsets, but the newer generation bikes are using IS-style headsets for the most part.

Regardless of what headset is in there, sometimes when removing the fork you need to give the top of the fork steer tube a tap (down) with a rubber mallet with the fork off the ground, to free it up and allow it to come out.

Just be certain to have one hand on the one of the fork lowers to keep it from sliding all the way out and banging the ground when you free it.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Exactly. My Zepp Elite was the same way. A few taps with a rubber mallet and all was good!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Good advice above. You need to tap it with a mallet. You need to do this on a lot of different forks on a lot of different bikes. Especially if it was installed a long time ago and/or without any lubrication.

I'm curious as to why you're removing the fork? Be very careful to ensure that everything is installed properly when you put it back together. You might want to have a shop check it for you, actually.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There are some good videos about fork installation on youtube. Sometimes, having a visual helps.