mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Can someone post a photo of their opened up Sram X7 shifters?

Just swaped out my X5 shifters for a set of X7 shifters and threw the X5 ones on another bike. I must have routed the cable wrong or something like that when I put the new cable in, and a spring or something like that broke on the X5 rear shifter. Just wanted to know if anyone would be willing to open up their Sram X7 shifters and take a photo of the insides so I can get it right and not screw these up as well.

On a related note, I took my bottom bracket off and cleaned and greased everything up. When I put it back on, the non-driveside cup will not screw all of the way in. Any suggestions, or is it ok to ride it like that? Oh the joy of working on mountain bikes!

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Just swaped out my X5 shifters for a set of X7 shifters and threw the X5 ones on another bike. I must have routed the cable wrong or something like that when I put the new cable in, and a spring or something like that broke on the X5 rear shifter. Just wanted to know if anyone would be willing to open up their Sram X7 shifters and take a photo of the insides so I can get it right and not screw these up as well.

On a related note, I took my bottom bracket off and cleaned and greased everything up. When I put it back on, the non-driveside cup will not screw all of the way in. Any suggestions, or is it ok to ride it like that? Oh the joy of working on mountain bikes!
    This is for a replacement video for an older XO shifter but it should be close to what you have and shows the internals with the cover off:

Technical Tuesday: SRAM Shifter Cable Replacement - Pinkbike

The BB is probably 73mm in the 68mm shell. Which means it needs a 2.5mm spacer on either side of it. Did you put the spacer back in there?

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    This is for a replacement video for an older XO shifter but it should be close to what you have and shows the internals with the cover off:

Technical Tuesday: SRAM Shifter Cable Replacement - Pinkbike

The BB is probably 73mm in the 68mm shell. Which means it needs a 2.5mm spacer on either side of it. Did you put the spacer back in there?

Jeremy
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't notice any spacers when I took it off, and I'm putting the same one back on. I did notice that there were no washers when I unscrewed the bolts that help hold the crank arms in place. Would it help if I measured the cup or spindle or something else from the bottom bracket? Perhaps there was a mixup at the factory and I didn't pay close enough attention when I took it off, although I'm pretty sure its user error on my part. LOL

Also, what would a spacer look like for a cartridge style bottom bracket?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well, I took a look at the bottom bracket that came with my Guardian, and it definitely says 68. However, it looks like the cup I have for the non-drive side is a 73. I put it on another bike and had the same problem with a little bit of overhang, and the extra amount of overhang appears to be the same size as the spacer (about 2.5mm) I used on both sides of an X5 GXP crankset upgrade I did for the Guardian.

The upgrade I did will be interesting to ride on and will probably kick my butt. Its a 26/39, and I'm going to Colorado to ride next week. Will probably be hating life on the hills, but I'm hoping the extra force and ease of pedaling with the external bottom bracket will offset some of the difference between the 22 and the 26.