mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Calling all Tx riders. I need your advice.

I have noticed a lot of tx riders in this forum and I wanted to ask you all a question.

I am debating between getting the goblin or waiting for the new slacker geo model coming out.

Based on the trails in the area (I live in Dallas with the nearest park being erwin park) would you stick with your goblin/guardian or would you want to trade it for the new model coming out?

I have zero mountain biking experience and your ions would really help!

Thanks!

Bicycle Addict
    I don't have either one of these bikes but I am from the area and have ridden Erwin before. I can tell you right now, you wont need any slacker geometry for any trails around here. Looking at the website, the Goblin looks plenty bike for Erwin. I ride Isle du Bois mostly on a Niner Air 9 FWIW.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    I don't think I can be much help in answering your question as my limited MTB experience has been around Houston and East Texas. FWIW, I am riding a Guardian and it handles everything around here just fine. Welcome aboard!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I ride the chunk in and around Austin on my goblin with no issues. I could see the benefit of a slacker goblin in this area (but if I were to get a slacker bike it would be FS) but I hear DFW has a completely different terrain (and the current goblin would be just fine).

TXTony who hasn't been on/posted in a while lives around FW and rides a goblin.

Bicycle Addict
    Hey cosmicgoop, were you at the Frisco Community Trail this morning? I saw an Airborne bike, it looked like a Goblin.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    Hey cosmicgoop, were you at the Frisco Community Trail this morning? I saw an Airborne bike, it looked like a Goblin.
    I wasn't. I actually don't own a mtb yet, but I hope to order one soon. As most people who are looking for their first bike, I have been debating for a while which bike would work best for me. I certainly like what the goblin has to offer, and I think I just might pull the trigger soon.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Bicycle Addict
    Where do you think you will buy your bike from, online or bike shop?
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    Where do you think you will buy your bike from, online or bike shop?
    Online from airborne. I do have experience with road bikes so tuning it up wont be an issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm from the area, bought a green Goblin as my first bike. Perfect for Erwin. I ride mostly North Shore, but I'm hooked on this stuff and have ridden about everything around. I have moved on to a Rocky Mountain Element 950, but sold my Goblin to a friend who continues to ride it. BTW, There is an 18" Goblin for sale on craigslist locally. I think it's Tony's if I'm not mistaken. Same bars, wheels, ect. Looks to be in fantastic shape.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey Mike. I have seen that goblin posted on craigslist but it looks like he only wants to trade it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That is Tony 's goblin. That's crazy he's trying to get rid of it. He seemed liked he loved being on it. Is there not a lot of good riding in the fort worth area? I ask because I couldn't imagine giving up my mountain bike in favor of a cx or road bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    That is Tony 's goblin. That's crazy he's trying to get rid of it. He seemed liked he loved being on it. Is there not a lot of good riding in the fort worth area? I ask because I couldn't imagine giving up my mountain bike in favor of a cx or road bike.
    He did/does like the Goblin. We rode several times together. He'd always ride different bikes though. He has quite the stable. I think he's gotten into cross more. Haven't ridden with him in a long time. He's an old roadie.

Bicycle Addict
    Personally, I think Ft. Worth has one of the best trails in the DFW area with Sansom. At the same time they have good cx roads with the Trinity trails.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Hey Trevor I still have my Goblin. I just could not do it. I was funding a cross build with the new SRAM Force 22 group and disc brakes so I pretty much had all but one of my Mt Bikes on there to offset the cost. In the end I sold a Specialized vs my Airborne.

I have gotten into the cross thing and gravel grinding more because my shoulder injury kills me after hours of trail riding...it is held together with pins and screws So I have had to switch up riding where I do not just ride all trails all the time like I have the last 5 years or so. I wish they still made the Delta I would have snagged one. The Goblin is still one of the best value bikes I have ever purchased. I have been eyeballing the Evo model and may snag one as I still like to hit the gnar every now and then and it looks killer. The Goblin turned me back onto hard tails big time. Like the efficiency and simplicity of HTs. For most of the stuff we have around here it does great.

That said the Goblin can pretty much handle any trails we have around here. After riding it on all the trails we have around here and my cross bikes on some I hardly touch my FS bikes anymore. I still ride and dig my Goblin a lot.

Like Mike said I am an old roadie from back in the day so the gravel grinding lets me get some of those long miles in on some long gravel roads we have around here. Actually I pretty much like to ride anything. So yep! I still have the Gob and ride her when I hit the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FullsizeMike View Post
    I'm from the area, bought a green Goblin as my first bike. Perfect for Erwin. I ride mostly North Shore, but I'm hooked on this stuff and have ridden about everything around. I have moved on to a Rocky Mountain Element 950, but sold my Goblin to a friend who continues to ride it. BTW, There is an 18" Goblin for sale on craigslist locally. I think it's Tony's if I'm not mistaken. Same bars, wheels, ect. Looks to be in fantastic shape.
    How would you compare the fit between the two bikes. I have a 2xl element 950 that did fit perfect out of the box. Do you think the 22"" goblin will fit me ok?
    Last edited by Learux; 11-26-2013 at 07:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Calling all Tx riders. I need your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTx View Post
    Hey Trevor I still have my Goblin. I just could not do it. I was funding a cross build with the new SRAM Force 22 group and disc brakes so I pretty much had all but one of my Mt Bikes on there to offset the cost. In the end I sold a Specialized vs my Airborne.

I have gotten into the cross thing and gravel grinding more because my shoulder injury kills me after hours of trail riding...it is held together with pins and screws So I have had to switch up riding where I do not just ride all trails all the time like I have the last 5 years or so. I wish they still made the Delta I would have snagged one. The Goblin is still one of the best value bikes I have ever purchased. I have been eyeballing the Evo model and may snag one as I still like to hit the gnar every now and then and it looks killer. The Goblin turned me back onto hard tails big time. Like the efficiency and simplicity of HTs. For most of the stuff we have around here it does great.

That said the Goblin can pretty much handle any trails we have around here. After riding it on all the trails we have around here and my cross bikes on some I hardly touch my FS bikes anymore. I still ride and dig my Goblin a lot.

Like Mike said I am an old roadie from back in the day so the gravel grinding lets me get some of those long miles in on some long gravel roads we have around here. Actually I pretty much like to ride anything. So yep! I still have the Gob and ride her when I hit the trails.
    Good to hear from you Tony!

I really want that goblin evo as well but I think I want a FS trail bike to go with the goblin. For me, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have two HT for the Austin area rocky terrain.

mtbr member
    Good to hear from you Tony!

I really want that goblin evo as well but I think I want a FS trail bike to go with the goblin. For me, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have two HT for the Austin area rocky terrain.
    Agree...I still use the FS rigs sometimes...when I had the HT 26 I pretty much just used it on certain trails around here..but after getting the Goblin and drinking the 29er Kool-Aid it was just so much more capable and efficient than my 26er for the stuff around here I am really curious how a more aggressive oriented 29er will ride..

Airborne Product Dude
    Good to see you back Tony!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Good to see you back Tony!

Jeremy
    Thanks!!