mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Buyer Advice: Seeker vs. Goblin

After weeks of research and a need to upgrade from my existing bike, Iím getting ready to make my purchase on an Airborne bike. My budget is $1K so Iíve been looking hard at the Seeker. From what Iíve read, it seems that the Goblin is a much more popular bike though. Looking at comparisons, the most significant difference is between the SRAM X5 to SRAM X7 drivetrain and the Avid Elixir 1 to Avid Elixir 7 brakes.

I ride 1-2 times a week on local singletrack rolling trails with a few decent technical spots (short steep climbs, small rock drops, sandy and rocky sections, etc). I also occasionally go to more advanced trails but usually not more than a few times a year.

Are the drivetrain and brake upgrades worth $270? Or is there something else that Iím missing in the comparison that makes the upgrade a no-brainer?

Thanks for any help.
    Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Better wheelset and a Reba vs. Recon Gold, drop some weight and lower rotational mass in the wheels. At the end of the day, I'd be happy with the Seeker. It's more of a question of how much you got to spend vs how much more will you gain with the higher quality bike. I don't race, just want to ride, so at my level, the Seeker is fine.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I got one of the rare scratch and dents that Airborne would ship so I got an even better deal on my Seeker but I think the Seeker is fine for 90% of people. My X5 stuff worked just fine, and the only reason I have an X7 rear derailleur now is because of my own stupidity.

Recon Gold fork is fine. Don't notice a significant difference between it and the Reba on a friends bike, ride wise. The wheels are heavy, and do cost more than $270 to upgrade, but they're tough and work perfectly fine. Same with the Elixir 1's - lots of people complain about them, but I've had zero real problems with mine. Any problems I have had, have been with the rotors being untrue.

Love my Seeker. The Goblin has been around longer, which is why you'll probably find more people with those than the Seeker.

If your budget is a hard $1k, go Seeker. If you can stretch it a bit and feel as though you'll want to upgrade all of the parts on the Seeker to match the Goblin, go Goblin. If you want to upgrade PAST the Goblin in the level of components, go Seeker. Don't expect to need an upgrade right away though... it all works very well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I faced the same dilemma, got the Seeker. I liked the color scheme of the Seeker.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Better wheelset and a Reba vs. Recon Gold, drop some weight and lower rotational mass in the wheels. At the end of the day, I'd be happy with the Seeker. It's more of a question of how much you got to spend vs how much more will you gain with the higher quality bike. I don't race, just want to ride, so at my level, the Seeker is fine.
    I don't race either so the Seeker sounds sufficient for my needs. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    I got one of the rare scratch and dents that Airborne would ship so I got an even better deal on my Seeker but I think the Seeker is fine for 90% of people. My X5 stuff worked just fine, and the only reason I have an X7 rear derailleur now is because of my own stupidity.

Recon Gold fork is fine. Don't notice a significant difference between it and the Reba on a friends bike, ride wise. The wheels are heavy, and do cost more than $270 to upgrade, but they're tough and work perfectly fine. Same with the Elixir 1's - lots of people complain about them, but I've had zero real problems with mine. Any problems I have had, have been with the rotors being untrue.

Love my Seeker. The Goblin has been around longer, which is why you'll probably find more people with those than the Seeker.

If your budget is a hard $1k, go Seeker. If you can stretch it a bit and feel as though you'll want to upgrade all of the parts on the Seeker to match the Goblin, go Goblin. If you want to upgrade PAST the Goblin in the level of components, go Seeker. Don't expect to need an upgrade right away though... it all works very well.
    Thanks for all of the info. I have some room in my budget but came up with $1K because that seemed reasonable for a decent new bike and how I plan to use it. If the upgrades are not going to be very noticable for how I use the bike, I'd rather not spend the extra cash. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Teletodd View Post
    I faced the same dilemma, got the Seeker. I liked the color scheme of the Seeker.
    Funny you say that because I do too! Actually, I think the Seeker has the best color scheme out of all of the Airborne XC bikes (my opinion of course).

Repped for the help. Thanks again.

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Actually I got the Seeker for my high school age son who had been riding my circa 1985 Trek 800 Sport. I was planning to get him a Guardian but I thought that I might also use the bike occasionally. I weigh more, and I figured an air shock would be easier to adjust. I've been delighted with the Seeker, it far exceeded my expectations.

mtbr member
    If you can afford Goblin, go Goblin, why not?

I personally love my Seeker, the color looks amazing and the Recon is great. If the Goblin had the seeker's color scheme I would have gone Goblin, but I just love the way my Seeker looks now since I upgraded some parts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocke View Post
    If you can afford Goblin, go Goblin, why not?

I personally love my Seeker, the color looks amazing and the Recon is great. If the Goblin had the seeker's color scheme I would have gone Goblin, but I just love the way my Seeker looks now since I upgraded some parts.
    I prefer the color scheme of the Seeker too. I can stretch my budget past $1K but it would be a bonus if I can get something great and that meets my needs for even less than my budget.

It sounds like the Seeker does that so I'm putting in my order when they open Monday morning. I would have already ordered online but I'm waiting for them to tell me what size frame is best for me based on my measurements.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The money saved can pay for a shock pump, pedals and a decent tire pump for those presta valves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iMTBike View Post
    I prefer the color scheme of the Seeker too. I can stretch my budget past $1K but it would be a bonus if I can get something great and that meets my needs for even less than my budget.

It sounds like the Seeker does that so I'm putting in my order when they open Monday morning. I would have already ordered online but I'm waiting for them to tell me what size frame is best for me based on my measurements.
    You will not be disappointed in your choice, that first look after you put the bike together will make you really happy. And then, the first ride will make you want to ride it all the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Got tracking number!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocke View Post
    You will not be disappointed in your choice, that first look after you put the bike together will make you really happy. And then, the first ride will make you want to ride it all the time.
    Got shipping info this morning with a scheduled delivery day of Thursday. Woot! The ride this afternoon will likely by the last ride on my 2002 Giant Iguana (at least for the main riding I do).

Thanks again to the responses in this thread.

mtbr member
    iMT, my Seeker is expected to arrive on Fri. Our area (southwest OH) has got 100% chance of rain expected tomorrow. So, we'll see who gets to hit the trails first, you or me?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Crank2Go View Post
    iMT, my Seeker is expected to arrive on Fri. Our area (southwest OH) has got 100% chance of rain expected tomorrow. So, we'll see who gets to hit the trails first, you or me?
    I'm hoping the rain moves thru fast. If we don't get more than 1/2 inch or so, the trails should be dry on Saturday for a ride. I'm planning on hitting Versailles on Saturday, fingers crossed!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Just rode Versailles last Thursday for the first time. It was awesome and well worth the two-hour drive. Trails were only wet in two very short areas. Watch the radar because the rain amount can be totally different there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Crank2Go View Post
    You're on! Depending on when FedEx shows up, I hope to have the bike ready for a quick ride before taking the kids trick/treating. I'm planning my first good ride Friday morning though.