mtbr member

bunnyhop or tap?

so, I was riding around in my neighborhood, there's actually a flat trail behind that's to warm up my legs for a mile.

If a log (nothing small to just roll over) lies in the path, do you guys just bhop over that badboy like bed in breakfast or do you prefer thrusting the safer (but slower) front wheel tap?

I tried bunnyhopping over a small bottle hoping I could maybe re-ignite my bmx skills, but either I got older and rusty, or my bike is heavy. I have the guardian and I could not clear jack squat with my bunnyhop, since I was barely clearing my rear wheel.

On the other hand, I tried just lifting my front tire over the log with my pedals parallel, but it looks like the bottom of my chainwheel hit the log after I cleared my front tire. Is my chainwheel too big? Does it need upgrading?

mtbr member
    Man I'm in the same boat as a NOOB. Watch the video in beginners corner on it or utube it. Like anything else it comes down to practice and technique. I havent been on a bike since like the early eighties but when i took my Goblin for its first rip last night I found in no time I was hoppin a bit. Still a long way to go but looking forward to learning it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    These issues have little to do with the bike. Yes, a lighter bike may be easier to hop, but with good technique you should be able to clear anything you need to by improving your riding skills. There are some great video tutorials on youtube that can help you out with just about anything. I highly recommend checking them out.

As for the hitting the chainring thing, you'll find with more experience, you'll know exactly what will clear your chainring and will not. What I do in many circumstances where I can't hop an obstacle is pop my front wheel over and just before I anticipate the chainring hitting, I pop up my rear wheel just enough to make sure my rear wheel hits the object instead of my chainring. It's a bit more of an intermediate/advanced move that took me awhile to learn, but it has served me well.

Have fun out there!
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    hop it! practice practice practice practice!!!!!
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

Airborne Flight Crew
    If its near the same height as my axel - I can usually hop it. If it's shorter that my wheel but taller than my axle, I hop up to the back wheel, then go over... sounds sorta strange and takes lots of practice, but I can nail it 8 out of 10 times.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website