Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    26

    Black Flag Comp Wheelset - any thoughts?

    Just wondering if any of you Goblin, Seeker or Guardian owners bit on N@shb@rs Black Flag Comp wheel set for $222 shipped.
    I know these are not as nice as the BF Pro set but ~220 was really hard to pass up. I couldn't quite figure how much weight I would actually save and couldn't find a good comparison to the WTBs so I walked away.
    Still not sure if that was the right choice.
    I've seen lots of folks upgrading to the BF Pros or the Arch Ex and really enjoying them, But I don't think I've read anyone's experience with the BF Comps.
    I just thought I would ask my Airborne brethren.

    FWIW - It is now back up to 244 shipped.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright1 View Post
    Just wondering if any of you Goblin, Seeker or Guardian owners bit on N@shb@rs Black Flag Comp wheel set for $222 shipped.
    I know these are not as nice as the BF Pro set but ~220 was really hard to pass up. I couldn't quite figure how much weight I would actually save and couldn't find a good comparison to the WTBs so I walked away.
    Still not sure if that was the right choice.
    I've seen lots of folks upgrading to the BF Pros or the Arch Ex and really enjoying them, But I don't think I've read anyone's experience with the BF Comps.
    I just thought I would ask my Airborne brethren.

    FWIW - It is now back up to 244 shipped.
    While I haven't personally owned a set of the BF Comp's, I can say that in general Sun Ringle wheels have been very good to me and I've had very few issues on the ones I've had. The only small issue was a pair of my BF Pro's had some uneven spoke tension and also came loose shortly after I started riding them. A little time spent on the truing stand and I haven't had an issue since.

    We are using the BF Comp's cousin wheelset, the Charger Comp, on the new Goblin Evolution bike. Look for Sun Ringle (and their sister company Hayes) to continue to get more spec from Airborne in the future.

    Hope that helps,

    Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    431
    TxTony has BF comps on his goblin I believe. PM him if he doesn't respond here.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    26
    Good info - thanks guys.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TonyTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    91
    I bought a set of them when Performance had them on sale...they are great wheels and I would not hesitate buying them again especially when on sale...I also have their Charger Pro wheel-set in 26..both are great wheel sets..they are easy to set up tubeless since they come with everything in the box to do it...running them on my Goblin..The Geax AKAs set up with no issues...have a set of VeeRubber tires that I am getting ready to set up on the wheels..

    Nice hub engagement and strong wheels..for 2 hundred dollars it is a great upgrade to the Goblin

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    292
    Yeah and even better upgrade for a Seeker or Guardian.

    Jeremy, don't you have a set of Comps on your new Gob Evo?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    Yeah and even better upgrade for a Seeker or Guardian.

    Jeremy, don't you have a set of Comps on your new Gob Evo?
    The EVO uses Charger Comps, which are similar, yet different.

    Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTx View Post
    ....running them on my Goblin..The Geax AKAs set up with no issues...
    Nice hub engagement and strong wheels..for 2 hundred dollars it is a great upgrade to the Goblin
    Thanks TonyTX --- do you think there was much of a weight savings from the WTBs. Its hard to pin down actually weights.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The EVO uses Charger Comps, which are similar, yet different.

    Jeremy
    Oh yeah. That's the wider, somewhat beefier rim. I debated getting the Chargers for my Goblin. In the end, I picked the Black Flags.

    As for the weights on the BF Comps, they are listed at 1975g. The Goblin wheelset runs a little over 2200g.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    26
    again, thanks all.
    I'm really trying not to spend more $$ on an already great bike, but upgrading is the next best thing to riding.......

    jason

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TonyTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    91
    There was some weight savings just based on feel..not actually weighing them..adding a good folding tire vs wire bead tire helps also...they will accelerate(spin up) a little faster than the stock wheels...but on mountain bike wheels I have never really worried to much about weight vs performance and durability

Similar Threads

  1. 11 Speed XD adapter for Black Flag Comp wheelset
    By Philip Clemmons in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-27-2014, 09:18 PM
  2. Sun-Ringle Black Flag Comp 29 specs
    By Map204 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2013, 10:38 AM
  3. Black flag comp vs expert
    By JustinM in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2013, 07:38 PM
  4. Sun Ringle Black Flag Comp 26er tubeless wheelset
    By westin in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2012, 10:01 AM
  5. Sun Ringle Black Flag Comp 26 - Opinions?
    By rjg5 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2012, 03:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •