mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Black Flag Comp Wheelset - any thoughts?

Just wondering if any of you Goblin, Seeker or Guardian owners bit on N@shb@rs Black Flag Comp wheel set for $222 shipped.
    I know these are not as nice as the BF Pro set but ~220 was really hard to pass up. I couldn't quite figure how much weight I would actually save and couldn't find a good comparison to the WTBs so I walked away.
    Still not sure if that was the right choice.
    I've seen lots of folks upgrading to the BF Pros or the Arch Ex and really enjoying them, But I don't think I've read anyone's experience with the BF Comps.
    I just thought I would ask my Airborne brethren.

FWIW - It is now back up to 244 shipped.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright1 View Post
    Just wondering if any of you Goblin, Seeker or Guardian owners bit on N@shb@rs Black Flag Comp wheel set for $222 shipped.
    I know these are not as nice as the BF Pro set but ~220 was really hard to pass up. I couldn't quite figure how much weight I would actually save and couldn't find a good comparison to the WTBs so I walked away.
    Still not sure if that was the right choice.
    I've seen lots of folks upgrading to the BF Pros or the Arch Ex and really enjoying them, But I don't think I've read anyone's experience with the BF Comps.
    I just thought I would ask my Airborne brethren.

FWIW - It is now back up to 244 shipped.
    While I haven't personally owned a set of the BF Comp's, I can say that in general Sun Ringle wheels have been very good to me and I've had very few issues on the ones I've had. The only small issue was a pair of my BF Pro's had some uneven spoke tension and also came loose shortly after I started riding them. A little time spent on the truing stand and I haven't had an issue since.

We are using the BF Comp's cousin wheelset, the Charger Comp, on the new Goblin Evolution bike. Look for Sun Ringle (and their sister company Hayes) to continue to get more spec from Airborne in the future.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    TxTony has BF comps on his goblin I believe. PM him if he doesn't respond here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Good info - thanks guys.

mtbr member
    I bought a set of them when Performance had them on sale...they are great wheels and I would not hesitate buying them again especially when on sale...I also have their Charger Pro wheel-set in 26..both are great wheel sets..they are easy to set up tubeless since they come with everything in the box to do it...running them on my Goblin..The Geax AKAs set up with no issues...have a set of VeeRubber tires that I am getting ready to set up on the wheels..

Nice hub engagement and strong wheels..for 2 hundred dollars it is a great upgrade to the Goblin

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yeah and even better upgrade for a Seeker or Guardian.

Jeremy, don't you have a set of Comps on your new Gob Evo?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    Yeah and even better upgrade for a Seeker or Guardian.

Jeremy, don't you have a set of Comps on your new Gob Evo?
    The EVO uses Charger Comps, which are similar, yet different.

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTx View Post
    ....running them on my Goblin..The Geax AKAs set up with no issues...
    Nice hub engagement and strong wheels..for 2 hundred dollars it is a great upgrade to the Goblin
    Thanks TonyTX --- do you think there was much of a weight savings from the WTBs. Its hard to pin down actually weights.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The EVO uses Charger Comps, which are similar, yet different.

Jeremy
    Oh yeah. That's the wider, somewhat beefier rim. I debated getting the Chargers for my Goblin. In the end, I picked the Black Flags.

As for the weights on the BF Comps, they are listed at 1975g. The Goblin wheelset runs a little over 2200g.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    again, thanks all.
    I'm really trying not to spend more $$ on an already great bike, but upgrading is the next best thing to riding.......

jason

mtbr member
    There was some weight savings just based on feel..not actually weighing them..adding a good folding tire vs wire bead tire helps also...they will accelerate(spin up) a little faster than the stock wheels...but on mountain bike wheels I have never really worried to much about weight vs performance and durability