mtbr member

Bike Computers or Strava on Iphone?

This should be interesting! Are any of you riders using the strava app or bike computer of some kind to track your rides? Thinking of trying the strava app and see how it works. Your thoughts

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Re: Bike Computers or Strava on Iphone?

I use my Garmin 500, and upload the data to Strava. But I have forgot to bring the GPS and had to use my phone (Android), it did not seem to work as well as the dedicated GPS.

mtbr member
    That's why I ask as sometimes when you are out in the sticks and you don't have a signal I don't see how it will even work! Im looking at the garmins. Is yours a wireless model?

Airborne Flight Crew
    Strava. Its pretty cool and I can see how some people become zealots about it. I just think the app works nicely. I usually turn the app on and throw the phone in my camelback until I'm done....
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member

I use MapMyRide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    That's why I ask as sometimes when you are out in the sticks and you don't have a signal I don't see how it will even work! Im looking at the garmins. Is yours a wireless model?
    I don't think that Strava requires a constant phone signal to work properly. From my experience you just need a signal when you are trying to save the ride. Other than that it just needs the GPS signal, the iphone has a much better GPS receiver than my now dated Android phone, so Strava should work fine on the phone. The Garmin that I have has a wireless speed/cadence sensor, which does seem to make the distances more accurate that pure GPS.

Now older but less slow!

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    I use MapMyRide.
    I stopped using MapMyRide once I realized that it would not allow me to export my own GPS tracks with timestamp information.

They try to hold you hostage to you data. Best avoided IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm really happy with Runtastic's Mountain Bike Pro... I tried a few apps, Strava included and decided on Mountain Bike Pro. I talked about my opinions of some of the apps here: Strava vs Endomondo vs Etc, etc, etc...

I'm a gadget geek and, in the past few months, a fitness geek, too. I don't think I'd have been able to lose the weight I wanted to lose without my Airborne Goblin and a website/app called MyFitnessPal.

I like Mountain Bike Pro because it links up with my Bluetooth LE Heart Rate Monitor and my Bluetooth LE Speed and Cadence sensor. It did a decent job on it's own tracking my mileage and calorie burn but I wanted to make sure it was accurate and I like the idea of the Bluetooth LE sensors (no dongle or adapter necessary on the iPhone 4s or 5).

Also, another huge bonus for me at least is that it integrates with MyFitnessPal.com so when I'm done with a ride that is automatically uploaded to MFP, also.

I've got a super cool mount that lets me mount my iPhone 5 right near the stem using the headset top cap - whatever that is called. I use the Rokform case and their mount. Good stuff and worth checking out.

Good luck,
    James

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTec View Post
    I'm really happy with Runtastic's Mountain Bike Pro... I tried a few apps, Strava included and decided on Mountain Bike Pro. I talked about my opinions of some of the apps here: Strava vs Endomondo vs Etc, etc, etc...

I'm a gadget geek and, in the past few months, a fitness geek, too. I don't think I'd have been able to lose the weight I wanted to lose without my Airborne Goblin and a website/app called MyFitnessPal.

I like Mountain Bike Pro because it links up with my Bluetooth LE Heart Rate Monitor and my Bluetooth LE Speed and Cadence sensor. It did a decent job on it's own tracking my mileage and calorie burn but I wanted to make sure it was accurate and I like the idea of the Bluetooth LE sensors (no dongle or adapter necessary on the iPhone 4s or 5).

Also, another huge bonus for me at least is that it integrates with MyFitnessPal.com so when I'm done with a ride that is automatically uploaded to MFP, also.

I've got a super cool mount that lets me mount my iPhone 5 right near the stem using the headset top cap - whatever that is called. I use the Rokform case and their mount. Good stuff and worth checking out.

Good luck,
    James
    Thanks, James! I just downloaded that app and will try it this weekend!

mtbr member

Runtastic Mtb is GREAT!...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    mountain bike pro is the answer..
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Looks very nice and very user friendly!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I use strava sometimes on my rides, when I have enough battery or remember to turn it on. I find it good for what I use it for which is tracking my miles and rides.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tnrider View Post
    I don't think that Strava requires a constant phone signal to work properly. From my experience you just need a signal when you are trying to save the ride. Other than that it just needs the GPS signal, the iphone has a much better GPS receiver than my now dated Android phone, so Strava should work fine on the phone. The Garmin that I have has a wireless speed/cadence sensor, which does seem to make the distances more accurate that pure GPS.
    You are correct. Strava only needs a signal to sync. A buddy of mine runs it on an old phone that he can trash without a SIM card in it and then syncs via wifi when he gets home.

Regarding accuracy: Between Android and IPhone the higher end/newer models of the former are usually very much on par with the latter. The GPS unit in the Garmin devices however is much better than those in either type phone. Further, most Garmin devices (all 500+ series) have a barometric altitude sensor which gives you much better accuracy on elevation data when compared to the GPS based approach of the phone apps which just give you an average of your surroundings in a +/- 50 sq ft radius.

Finally, if you're like me and go on extended/all day rides on the regular you will appreciate the much better battery life of a Garmin unit over a cell phone, especially if you're running an HRM.

Last but not least, the Garmin is a bike computer at the end of the day so if you don't already have one of those, it will provide you useful information while you ride while your phone just rots away in your pack or pocket.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Re: Bike Computers or Strava on Iphone?

I concur with everything techninjo0 said about the Garmin. I've an Edge 510. I love how it will automatically upload my rides to Garmin Connect through my phone via Bluetooth, without every connecting it by a physical cable to a computer. Also, the 510 records a track point every single second using not only the US GPS satellites but also the Russian GLONASS satellite system. This gives a pretty accurate representation of your route.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    No C in Tehninjo0 perturbo =P

But you do raise a good point: Sampling rate. I think the cell apps sample every 3 seconds as opposed to Garmin's every one second. This is in addition to the better accuracy of the GPS unit itself.

mtbr member
    I use Strava. I always have my iphone with me so why carry another device? Plus I'd rather spend $[cost of a Garmin here] on my bike rather than another device. I can't argue with facts regarding accuracy and whatnot but its good enough for me. If it's off by a coupla tents of a mile I'm not really worried.

And I use the Quadlock case and mount. It works f-tastic!!
    2013 Giant Trance X29 2
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I use the "My Tracks" app on my android. its simple and works very reliably. No complains.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonf150 View Post
    I use Strava. I always have my iphone with me so why carry another device? Plus I'd rather spend $[cost of a Garmin here] on my bike rather than another device. I can't argue with facts regarding accuracy and whatnot but its good enough for me. If it's off by a coupla tents of a mile I'm not really worried.

This exactly. If I am going to drop that kind of coin it will be on new forks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just used Stava for the first time today. Great app. Much better than MapMyRide and the Nike app I used to use. A lot more information in much more convenient places. And simple to use.

Got a nice mount to hold my phone as well. That was a pretty good buy. I played some music for the ride and it was great.

Devils Child
    Jul 2013
    i have tried pretty much them all including the following

MapMyRide
    My Tracks
    SportsTracker
    Endomondo
    B.iCycle
    Move! Bike Computer
    strave
    Runtastic raod and mountain bike pro.

out of all the ones above i like the functions of both strava and runtastic mountain bike pro.
    good thing about trying both of those was when i 1st used the strava app, had around 10 rides saved on the strava site.
    decided i would try the runtastic app of which i now prefer and use now.
    i didnt lose my rides, download the gpx files from your strava account and upload them again in your runtastic account, and all rides are back..