Thread: Bent hanger?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Bent hanger?

Does it look bent to you guys?

If so that would make it bent two days in a row. First time (yesterday, then went for a ride and had to bail and the bike landed on the non drive side) I paid a shop $20 to realign the hanger, then today I shifted into the largest cog and it threw the chain off the cassette into the spokes (or into that plastic protector thing). I then checked the hanger and it appears bent to me but I wanted other opinions. I won't pay that much to have a shop realign it again. I might just break down and get the DAG-2 unless you guys have another idea?

TXTony
    Looks bent dude. Usually the rear derailleur goes into the spokes though when it is bent..when it gets tossed off the cassette into the spokes sounds like the limit screw may be letting it got to far over..but that does look a little bent

mtbr member
    That's definitely bent.

The shop should have adjusted the L screw when they worked on the RD hanger. Obviously they didn't, because the RD shifted past the largest cog and got hung in the spokes, which bent the RD hanger once again. It's designed to bend in that situation.

It's not bent very much. You should be able to bend it back (gently) by yourself then check the L limit screw. Set that correctly and it shouldn't shift into the spokes again.

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Bent hanger?

What is the best way to adjust the lower limit screw? Do you guys disconnect the cable at the derailleur or leave it attached?

You guys seem more experienced so I was just wanting to pick the brain of you guys. I've disconnected the cable and manually shifted up to the largest cog to set the L screw. Is it necessary or is it easier to leave the cable connected?

mtbr member
    You can do it both ways.

When I build a bike up from scratch, I usually check and set the H/L screws with no chain and no cable attached.

For a bike that's already built like yours, adjusting it with the cable attached is fine.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    You can do it both ways.

When I build a bike up from scratch, I usually check and set the H/L screws with no chain and no cable attached.

For a bike that's already built like yours, adjusting it with the cable attached is fine.

Jeremy
    Agree with BDF.

If you check out You Tube there are lots of very informative videos on adjustment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I ordered the DAG-2 from park tool and another hanger from airborne. Figured both would be good investments since I ride a lot of rocky terrain. I think I will realign my current hanger then take it off and use as a spare.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    I ordered the DAG-2 from park tool and another hanger from airborne. Figured both would be good investments since I ride a lot of rocky terrain. I think I will realign my current hanger then take it off and use as a spare.
    Yeah the tool is worth it, plus it seems almost every hanger is bent, you just thing it isn't till you straighten it and find out how well your bike actually will shift. Besides, having the tool actually seems to prevent hanger bends. I had to borrow my buddy's 3 time in two weeks. I bought one, and haven't bent a hanger since.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Hey Jeremy, do you know if my hanger shipped out? I ordered it Tuesday.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Trevor I don't think it has yet.I don't think anything went out of our Ohio office yesterday. Will probably be today or tomorrow, thanks!

mtbr member
    The best way to know that your hanger is bent? It's always bent. You will never regret buying the DAG-2. What swildnm said, through some mystical force, the mere presence of the tool in your garage will prevent misalignment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I have a feeling that will happen (and kind of hope it does). I never bent a hanger on my old bike and I get this snazzy new goblin and bend it twice in two days.