mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Anyone else's rear wheel hard to get off?

This is a weird issue I have and I'm laughing at myself, but I have the hardest time getting the rear wheel off and back on (mainly on). I never had a hard time with my previous bike getting the rear out and back into the drop outs. I believe my bike is smarter than me.

I understand the concept of getting the rear out (flipping the RD out of the way, shifting out to smallest cog, etc, that's not the issue). The actual issue appears to be the drive side will not willingly drop out but the rotor side will. Is this normal? I've filed down the paint in the area (maybe not enough). The drive side does not budge at all, should it willingly drop out after loosening the skewer (like my old bike did, and the rotor side of this bike)?

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Looks like the hanger/dropout was bent in shipping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've had the bike since March or so. Looking at it further it does look like the hanger is "squished" and that's what the axle thing is getting caught on. Both sides should drop out freely with the skewer loosened/removed correct?

I've also aligned and realigned the hanger a few times but have never thought about it compressing like that. Wonder if it's possible to bend out a little bit by hand (I don't think my DAG-2 will do anything for this potential issue)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    I've had the bike since March or so. Looking at it further it does look like the hanger is "squished" and that's what the axle thing is getting caught on. Both sides should drop out freely with the skewer loosened/removed correct?

That's correct. That hanger has been bent sightly inward to where it impedes the wheel movement in and out of the drop-out. This sort of bend is usually the result of some sort of impact to the rear with the wheel off (ie when fixing a flat or transporting in a vehicle with the wheels off).

You can gently pry it back to full open, it won't take much and it shouldn't harm it since they are soft. I would remove the RD and use a large adjustable wrench as a lever arm to pry it straight back 1-2mm or so. Once you've done that, use your DAG-2 to verify the alignment is proper in the other two planes. Hope that makes sense!

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    I received my rear hangers last night - and that was my issue, I couldn't remove the tire after the rear derailleur over-shifted catching the cage on the tire spokes. Not sure how all that came about either, but the hanger did its job.

Thanks Eric for the quick shipment! This will be a must-have to carry in the pack.
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Jeremy, that was indeed the case. I've never even thought of a hanger bending in that direction before but it makes sense that could be bent like that when the wheel is off. Thanks for the adjustable wrench tip. All is well now.