mtbr member

Idea! Anyone else collecting...

...bent hangers? I just ate my third one today on the trail going through some stupid-loose baby heads. I was able to bent it sorta-kinda straight to finish the ride, but the RD was talking back to me the entire rest of the trip back to the trailhead. I have spare hanger number 4 to put on tonight. Bear in mind, this is not anything against Airborne or their product - I want my hanger to bend instead of the RD.

So, here is my dilema - do I buy more hangers or buy the tool to straighten them out? If I buy more, I will be up to six hangers in the collection, and only out 20 bucks plus shipping. If I buy the hanger tool, I am out 70 bucks, but can re-use the four hangers I have now until they detonate on the trail. Something else I have been considering is a hanger thread that maybe, maybe, we could straighten hangers for other people in the same situation?
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I say buy the tool... you have a propensity for bending hangers (I trashed one, but this past weekend dumped the bike 4 times on the drive side and the hanger is still straight), and will be able to reuse the hanger at least once between. That saves you money right there.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Thanks Eric - you said it right, I have a propensity for bending hangers!

With that said, I did do some research on the tool, and everyone around has it for about the same price, 60 bucks including shipping. SOLD! I should have bought this when I jacked up my first hanger. I am glad I ordered a couple of spares though!

Any thoughts to the hanger straightening thread?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I don't think I saw the hanger straightening thread.

When I talked to my LBS mechanic about it, he used the Park tool straightener. He said if its bent in or out (toward the rear wheel or away from the rear wheel) then it can be bent back usually once or twice. If it is bent rearward or forward (away from the cranks or toward the cranks) then they more often than not tear or break. Your replacements... are they the cast silver ones or the black ones from wheels/derailleurhangers.com? I bent the cast one fairly easily, bent it back, then destroyed it with a stick. The ones I've had better luck with have been the black replacement ones.

The issue you're having is why I decided to retire my old aluminum frame into a gravel grinder/dirt road tourer. Once I bent the hanger on my Airborne I didn't want to take the chance to bend the non-replaceable hanger on that bike.
    Eric

mtbr member
    I got the cast aluminum ones from the Airborne site. I also got a new one from the frame replacement, which is the one I bent today. I looked at the black ones you mention and noticed they are machined instead of cast - perhaps that is the way to go as well when these finally let go. The Park tool is ordered, and will be here Monday. I will then be straightening all three out with one going back in pack, one in the truck, and one in the bike box.

mtbr member
    Ive always used a crescent wrench! Always works for me! I usually have a few hangers on hand when I travel but usually the crescent wrench!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The DAG-2 is awesome. I've bent the original hanger 4 or 5 times now and it is still bending back without breaking. I do carry a spare but haven't had to use it yet due to having the DAG-2. The tool is simple to use as well and definitely worth the money.

mtbr member
    Man, was that hanger out of whack! I put on #4 last night and had to redo the RD setup completely as it wanted to throw the chain between the wheel and spokes. All is good, and ready for the lunch-time ride.

I would try the crescent wrench, but I don't think it would be the best way to make the repair. I just received my confirmation that the DAG will be here Monday.