mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Anyone bought an Airborne with bill me later?

I'm considering getting a new bike through Airborne and I like the idea of financing. However, bill me later has a horrible reputation of screwing people over. Anyone had any experience with them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What have you heard?

I use Bill Me Later all of the time to buy materials and hardware (I own a small manufacturing business) and have never had an issue with them. Just be mindful of the terms that you agree to and you should be good!

Which bike are you considering?

Ruben

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bought a Goblin XO via Bill Me Later.

So far no issues. If you have a copy of the terms (6 mo. no interest) I cannot see a problem.

mtbr member
    I just bought a Goblin with Bill Me Later. Paid $600 up front and will pay $100 or so every month for 6 mos. The interest rate is pretty high but I don't plan on paying any.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good to know that some people are having good experiences. All of the reviews I've seen are pretty negative. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Goblin. So you can opt to pay x amount up front and finance the rest?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by icouch View Post
    Good to know that some people are having good experiences. All of the reviews I've seen are pretty negative. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Goblin. So you can opt to pay x amount up front and finance the rest?
    I believe the offer is 6 mo free (that is no interest!). So you could could put down x amount and pay balance over 6 months or pay all over 6 months or start paying 19.99% interest in month 7.

Just a thought (and I do not work for Airborne) spring for the Goblin XO . I love mine. Yes it cost more but you will likely want to upgrade bits down the line and frankly will pay way more in the end if you do upgrade piece by piece.

Just a thought. And hey with 6 months no interest why not?

mtbr member
    Dont forget if you go over six months the interest is accrued on the total purchase price not what is owed at the time and it can add fast. I use it all the time no problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner66 View Post
    Dont forget if you go over six months the interest is accrued on the total purchase price not what is owed at the time and it can add fast. I use it all the time no problem.
    You read my mond gunner! Get those bikes paid off quick! Hope everyone enjoys their new rides. Need to have an Airborne get together somewhere! Maybe North Carolina or Forks Area Trail System!

mtbr member

I've used BML three times now, though never for an Airborne bike (yet!) and haven't had a single issue. Pay your bills and you won't have any problems.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Anyone bought an Airborne with bill me later?

I only buy stuff if I have the money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Smart man!

Airborne Product Dude
    I'm considering getting a new bike through Airborne and I like the idea of financing. However, bill me later has a horrible reputation of screwing people over. Anyone had any experience with them?
    We've sold a lot of bikes with the BML plan and for the most part the feedback from customers has been good.

The one thing I should say in this discussion is that folks need to think of PayPal/BML as a bank or separate financing entity, much like buying a car at a dealer and going thru a bank or lender to finance it. We don't have control over them, and the contract regarding payment for the bike is between the customer and Paypal/BML.

We had an incident recently where a customer bought a bike, financed it through them, then wanted to change his order to a different bike. Had the bike been purchased thru a normal credit card, we could have processed the refund here and then just re-ran the transaction from our end. However with a third party involved, this sort of change can be messy and time-consuming. So please be certain you are buying what you want when you hit the button when using this service, because it does add another layer of complexity. It's not a bad thing, just something we wanted to inform folks of.

Me too. But we've noticed that some folks that have the money are still using BML. It allows you to buy the bike, ride it, and keep your money in the bank working for you for 6 months, with no additional interest fees.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Me too. But we've noticed that some folks that have the money are still using BML. It allows you to buy the bike, ride it, and keep your money in the bank working for you for 6 months, with no additional interest fees.

Jeremy
    This is what I did with my Wingman, I could pay it all off today, or I can let the money sit in the bank for a few months. Plus I got $10 off on my first BML purchase. A Wingman and a 6-pack of brew for under $500. How could I go wrong?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If you only pay for things in cash, you don't have the option of financing bigger purchases. You haven't established a solid credit rating. If you ever need a business loan, personal loan, or any loan for that matter, you are in a bad spot. The loans you can get will typically be very high interest. Now, if you have the means to buy your house, cars and expensive toys (dirt bikes, boats, etc.) in cash, you're doing better than most of us in this economy!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post

Jeremy
    Yep! I'd rather use their money.

Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    This is what I did with my Wingman, I could pay it all off today, or I can let the money sit in the bank for a few months. Plus I got $10 off on my first BML purchase. A Wingman and a 6-pack of brew for under $500. How could I go wrong?
    Smart man!

Ruben

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

My wife and I are debt-free except for our house. We paid our last card off this past weekend with no plans to go further into debt. Financing toys is IMO a very risky proposition.

Life gets in the way which is what happened to us and we got behind because we wanted what we wanted when we wanted it. Credit is too easy to utilize but a ***** to get rid of when you can't meet obligations

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMacMan View Post
    My wife and I are debt-free except for our house. We paid our last card off this past weekend with no plans to go further into debt. Financing toys is IMO a very risky proposition.

Life gets in the way which is what happened to us and we got behind because we wanted what we wanted when we wanted it. Credit is too easy to utilize but a ***** to get rid of when you can't meet obligations
    Congrats on getting yourselves out of that rut.

Life is a risky business for sure and there are no guarantees. Be smart and learn to be content and grateful for what you have.

With things like dirt bikes (a danger in itself) I buy used and only if I know I can sell for more than I paid. When I was a bit younger I was really into high end car audio. Through buying under priced audio gear using "buy it now" and reselling it as an auction with a 99 cent starting bid I managed to put together a $6000.00 system for $600.00 of my own hard earned money. Where there's a will there's a way!

Ruben
    Last edited by Outofthewoods; 04-25-2013 at 11:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMacMan View Post

Your situation sounds a lot like mine. I had wayyy too much fun in college and it took me a while to dig out of all of that debt. When I was finally out of it I made a promise to myself that I would never allow myself to get into that situation again.

A legit no interest for 6 months deal is not a bad way to go at all...as long as the account is payed in full before the 6 month mark. I just don't trust myself that much!

mtbr member
    I used BML for a very expensive camera lens 3 or 4 years ago. I had it paid off on time and had no complaints (and no interest $$).

Several years ago when my husband's retirement from the military was coming up I made sure our cc debts were all paid off because I knew our income would be dropping some while he went back to school. Well it was a good thing I planned ahead because he passed away one year after he retired. At least I didn't have a lot of credit card debt on top of everything else I had to deal with.

Just realize how quickly your situation can change and plan accordingly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Bill Me Later is a good way to go, but make sure to contact them to make sure you know when you have to have the bike paid off by. If you don't pay the bike off by a specific date after the 6 months has ended, they will charge your interest retroactively! If you have a PayPal account linked to a Bill Me Later account, this information is available by downloading your Bill Me Later statement through your PayPal account, then looking at the secton for promotional offers. Things can get a little tricky if you have multiple promotions, because from what I understand, if you pay your bill each month before your due date, Bill Me Later will apply the payment evenly to each 6 month promotional offer. So, call them to understand all of the complexities!
    Last edited by getagrip; 04-26-2013 at 02:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the input everyone, it's good to know people have had good experiences. After reading some bad reviews and reading through their terms, it seems as though a lot of people just jumped into purchases without closely reviewing the terms and it came back to bite them in the ass.