mtbr member
    Dec 2011

any plans for shimano?

Hi I was just wondering if there are any plans to offer the bikes with shimano component xls or xt.
    can a order be custom for this.
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

any plans for shimano?

I don't know if anything has changed, but BDF has said why it hasn't been done before was that the shimano rep for America was very poor and orders were always late. Which delayed builds of course
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

MTB Fanatic
    Yeah they have said multiple times that they probably won't be doing Shimano components.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That lame if you are shopping for a bike people will wait a month or two.
    Same thing when they go out of stock, It delay sales.
    I bet airborne would have a killer price on a goblin XT build.
    SRAM haven't won my trust yet.
    Time to look around for another mail order bike.

MTB Fanatic
    Ok, bye.
    Nathan

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
    Unfortunately at this time Shimano doesn't fit into our business plans due to several reasons. That's not saying that it won't happen at some time in the future; you never know.

I won't try to convince you that SRAM is better than Shimano; it's like that whole Chevy vs Ford debate. I will say that I was a DIEHARD Shimano fan for years and still think its nice stuff, but a few years back the SRAM rep gave us a few 2x10 groups to play with and I was blown away at the quality and functionality. Now it's all I run on my personal rigs.

SRAM takes great care of us and our customers.

Best of luck in your search for a bike. If there are any questions you have about our bikes and the components on them, please feel free to ask. Thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    What does it take to earn trust?

Sram makes great products. I went from Shimano to Sram and have not looked back. Great service IMO.

Did you have a bad experience with Sram or just your opinion from reading forum postings?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    What does it take to earn trust?

Sram makes great products. I went from Shimano to Sram and have not looked back. Great service IMO.

Did you have a bad experience with Sram or just your opinion from reading forum postings?
    I agree SRAM has been excellent for me. I had X7 and X9 shifters on my last bike and have XO now and they have all been the best for me so far. Very smooth product.

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Unfortunately at this time Shimano doesn't fit into our business plans due to several reasons. That's not saying that it won't happen at some time in the future; you never know.

I won't try to convince you that SRAM is better than Shimano; it's like that whole Chevy vs Ford debate. I will say that I was a DIEHARD Shimano fan for years and still think its nice stuff, but a few years back the SRAM rep gave us a few 2x10 groups to play with and I was blown away at the quality and functionality. Now it's all I run on my personal rigs.

SRAM takes great care of us and our customers.

Best of luck in your search for a bike. If there are any questions you have about our bikes and the components on them, please feel free to ask. Thanks!

Jeremy
    This. I agree 100 per cent

mtbr member
    Same here. Years of struggling with Shimano and I'm loving SRAM in my Guardian.

That dude seems rather trollish more than anything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My apologies everyone if I sounded harsh definitely not what I mean to sound I was just inquiring since I have always dreaming of having a bike with XT but not gonna lie I'm considering the goblin xo. Only thing is that the xo clutch RD cost a lot more than the similar xt shadow plus.
    And also all the reading in forums about how much better xt brakes are compared to exilir.
    And the shimano cranks BB feeling better.
    thats it all else is a what you prefer.

I think not but I ask anyway is there a way to change the RD for the type 2 and pay the difference?

Airborne Product Dude
    My apologies everyone if I sounded harsh definitely not what I mean to sound I was just inquiring since I have always dreaming of having a bike with XT but not gonna lie I'm considering the goblin xo. Only thing is that the xo clutch RD cost a lot more than the similar xt shadow plus.
    And also all the reading in forums about how much better xt brakes are compared to exilir.
    And the shimano cranks BB feeling better.
    thats it all else is a what you prefer.

I think not but I ask anyway is there a way to change the RD for the type 2 and pay the difference?
    No worries. Some folks just have their preferences and being different is what makes the world go 'round.

I personally have no issues with the mid to high range Elixir brakes. I've never heard anything about folks liking the Shimano cranks better than SRAM. I do love my XO cranks and they have taken a beating. The carbon is very scratched up in places and they are still going strong.

Unfortunately we don't do parts swaps. You'd have to buy the bike and sell off the new RD to put $$ toward the new type II. At the bargain the bike is already this isn't a bad way to go.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    If I were to purchase another Airborne bike I would just purchase the frame and build up the bike myself. I'm a complete noob but was able to build a bike up this winter from the frame up. Its really not that hard if you have just a bit of mechanical skills. This way you can customize the bike to your needs plus you learn how to adjust and maintain your bike. I have shimano on that bike and sram on my airborne bike and honestly I have nothing bad to say about either company, well so far anyway....

TXTony
    Though building your own bike can be rewarding and fun...I would be hard pressed to build a bike like the Goblin and purchase the same components for the price they offer it at...frame and Reba fork takes a huge junk out of a build budget from jump street...now I am only comparing building a 29er like the Goblin and its specs..and the X0 one...I do not think I could build a X0 bike for the cost of the X0 Goblin...but the plus is you get what you want the way you want it..but I still waiver on cost effectiveness especially for riders who are new to the sport and have limited knowledge on bikes and the mechanics of them...just a thought!