mtbr member
    May 2012

Another FIRST 29er thread. FUJI or AIRBORNE?

Alright the wife gave me the go ahead on a new bike.
    I'm coming from an 08 TREK 3900 v brake setup. The bottom bracket and crank seized on me while riding. Not a fun experience.

I've been looking for three weeks at every single bike manufacturer there is and then some.
    Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Motobecane, Felt, niner(even though i can't afford it), airborne, fuji, raleigh, giant, scott, diamondback, everything...

I went looking this morning at the closest bike shop. I guess I was expecting the people there to smile just once. But instead they were kind of pompas *******s. I rode the cannondale sl5 and a rockhopper 29er. Both nice bikes, rockhopper was a little nicer just pricey. The cannondale was jumping on the test drive but I'm sure it needs adjusting. No maintenance at all, once I'm out the door I have to pay to come back. No trade ins.

I went to the next lbs. It was mainly a road bike store, but they had raleigh and fujis. I really liked the fuji nevada 2.0, just not sure about the suntour xcm v3 fork on it. The owner is one of the nicest guys you will meet. He did not pressure me and realizes I'm just looking right now. But he has some great advantages. Lifetime tune ups for free. He suggest I tune up every 1-2 months. Also in two years he will trade my bike in and give me 50% of what I payed for it up front.

The next bike shop has nice guys and sell trek and felt, I'm not really into driving 45 mins though.

Anyhow, I have fried my brain by looking at all the bikes available.

I think I've narrowed it down to a Fuji Nevada 2.0 (based on the lbs) and an airborne guardian.

Would somebody take a look at their build sheets and tell me which you think would be the better bike. The airborne guardian will cost $674 to my door and the fuji nevada 2.0 msrps for $949, the lbs will sell for $745 bringing it to $800 OTD.

I feel completely confident in assembling the airborne guardian but something about not having to worry about a thing at all from the lbs sounds great. He made me feel like I can take that bike, bash it up, and bring it to him and he'll take care of me.

SO somebody please help save my sanity and make a decision for me.

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Thats pretty nice of him... however...

You dont need a "tune up" every 2 months. I dont know anyone who does. And most bicycle maintenance work is pretty simple and be learned thru forums like this and youtube.

Hydraulic brake bleeding and wheel truing are not part of lifetime tune ups, at least not the shops around me do.

Tune ups are usually just brake adjustment and cable tightening, shifter cable adjustment/tightening, airing up tires, cleaning and lubing the chain and usually washing the bike. Anything else the bike shop usually charges labor for. Although I do most of my bike maintenance, I did take my bike to the LBS where I bought it to avail of the free one-time tune up. It was included so why not.

I'm not saying dont patronize your local bike shop but dont let the free tune ups be the deciding factor.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    the fuji seems like the way to go (at least for me). if that bike shop is willing to do that much for you they certainly seem like a winner to me

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Looks like the airborne has a rock shox xc28 fork and sram x5 drivetrain, while the fuji has a alivio/deore drivetrain and a suntour xcm v3 fork. Any opinions on these setups?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i made the mistake of buying a hardrock29er from lbs not even three weeks ago that is now for sale or i may give it to my girlfriend if i don't get some of my money back.

just placed an order to Air Borne today. I am very excited. I was about to get the goblin however I plan to abuse the bike a little and the guardian fits the bill better just in case i break anything. If i like this guardian ill pick up the FS bike when its released.

My bud is also ordering an air borne at the end of the week.

Srsly guys, do not be afraid to pick up a wrench. (although the Airborne comes pretty much built)

--Raleigh--
    Dude those sound EXACTLY like my local bike shops (bike tech, and cherry street cycles) are you from macon ga? I just got a raliegh talus 29 from cherry st cycles and I love it.
    2011 Raleigh Talus 29 sport Commuter Mode
    2001 K2 Zed V Mountain Duty
    1994 GT Outpost Steel, Rigid Awesomeness

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i received my guardian a week ago, i assembled but had to take to to a lbs to get the gears fine tuned. The rear derailuer didnt want to shift and i didnt feel comfortable enough to adjust it myself. shippin, plus the cost of pedals, water bottle cage, and lbs tune the total bill ended up at $814 for my guardian. and i love it so far.
    I can not find a better bike for $800 price range. I even like it better than the trek rockhopper that had a price tag of over $1200.
    I also have a buddy that will be ordering one soon after testing out mine.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by iMongoose View Post
    Dude those sound EXACTLY like my local bike shops (bike tech, and cherry street cycles) are you from macon ga? I just got a raliegh talus 29 from cherry st cycles and I love it.
    Yeah man, I live in macon. What a small world this is. We should go ride next week when i have a bike again. Whats your name I'll look you up on facebook. I'm brian bailey

Oh and i rode your talus 2 1/2 weeks ago while i was there. sweet ride. sorry for locking the brakes on asphalt though

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thinking of getting either the Goblin or Guardian, how is the fit if the bike. I was told by the Airborne guys that I should go with the 20 inch as I am about 5'11 with a 34 inseam.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Get the 18. The top tube will be too long(24.49") for you on the 20. Even on the 18 I would change the stem to an 80.

I would choose the Guardian as the felt is 26 in addition to lower spec.

--Raleigh--
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbaileychevrolet View Post
    Yeah man, I live in macon. What a small world this is. We should go ride next week when i have a bike again. Whats your name I'll look you up on facebook. I'm brian bailey

Oh and i rode your talus 2 1/2 weeks ago while i was there. sweet ride. sorry for locking the brakes on asphalt though
    Im phillip harvey me and a co worker ride childrens home and or lh thomson like everyday

-_- i noticed flat spots on the tires... haha jk

edit: the gaurdian does look nice though. I was looking at one but Damon will work with you on the price at Cherry st
    Last edited by iMongoose; 06-04-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    2011 Raleigh Talus 29 sport Commuter Mode
    2001 K2 Zed V Mountain Duty
    1994 GT Outpost Steel, Rigid Awesomeness

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Alright guys, I woke up this morning and realized I have a pretty nice frame, I just haven't taken care of the bike, and decided to just fix my trek 3900. So I guess I'll be rocking the 26er for a while. I dropped the bike off at the trek dealer this morning, and I'm getting:

new 2.10 kenda tires (back is a paddle style tire) and the front is a directional.
    new cables and housings
    new shimano bottom bracket and crank
    new QR for the front
    and a rock shox xc32tk
    a tune up

all installed for $300 OTD.
    I think I can be happy for quite a while with this setup. Thanks for the opinons guys and maybe I can go to a 29er in the future.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    nice, out of curiosity.. how much is that costing you?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfifty View Post
    nice, out of curiosity.. how much is that costing you?
    It's costing $300 for everything parts and labor.

I did have to order the fork myself. I scored it on amazon for $163 two day shipping for free. The LBS didn't have any in stock and weren't able to order one right now. So I went home and bought it. I'm including that in the $300 figure so the lbs is charging me $136 for everything.