mtbr member

All of a sudden....I can't stop! Tektro Auriga's no workey!

Guardian 2.0. Had it since July and only put about 100 miles on it. All trail!

Disclaimer:
    I love this bike and completely understand that the components on a $600 bike won't be top notch. Out of the box, the brakes worked wonderfully, but have slowly been going down hill.

With that being said.....

My rear brake does almost nothing. I can completely squeeze the lever and still pedal normal!

I bedded them accordingly when I got the bike and they worked great, but my last 2 rides have been almost all front brake.

I've bled them, adjusted them, and even sanded the rotor & pads (did this in between my last 2 rides). The caliper is centered and the clearance is what is suggested by Tektro.

Occam's razor would be my first thought and go with new pads, but only after 100 miles....in Kansas City??

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and knows of a quick fix. If not, new pads it is!

Thanks!
    Brian
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Some clarification - when you squeeze the brake lever the pads move and touch the rotor, but don't provide stopping power? Or does the lever get squishy and move to the bar?

If you have pad contact and a solid lever - yep, try new pads. I replaced mine after 200 miles. Partly due to contamination and partly to get more bite over the stock pads.

I loved my Tektros and still run one as the rear brake - with different pads.

mtbr member
    Sorry about that!

Squeeze, contact, no stopping power. No squish and the lever only travels what I expect it should.
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

mtbr member
    May 2012
    have you recently lubed the drivetrain up? Do you think you might have contaminated the rotors or pads with lube?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfifty View Post
    have you recently lubed the drivetrain up? Do you think you might have contaminated the rotors or pads with lube?
    Second that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    If not not rotor/pad contamination, then the symptoms point to the seal on the hydraulic plunger that develops hydraulic pressure is shot. Changing pads won't fix this. I am not familiar with the brakes so I can't offer any first hand advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'll add that when I've contaminated the pads (yes, more than once - I'm a slow learner) sanding the pads didn't help. Once any kind of chemical gets into the pad material, they're done. I've even gone so far as to try heating the pads with a torch to burn off chemical contamination. It didn't work and was more trouble than buying and installing new pads right from the start of the problem.

Buy new pads, clean your rotors again before you install the pads, and ride on!