mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Aligned bent hanger, now FD issue?

Thought I would post this on the airborne forum to get the advice from the people that frequent this forum (also posted in the drivetrain forum)

I got the DAG-2 in the mail yesterday and aligned my hanger, which was a straight forward process. The only issue I had was when taking the RD off the metal ring clip that holds a tab on popped off causing that tab to come off. I think I oriented the tab back correctly but feel free to confirm.

Then I had trouble getting the RD back on because I couldn't remember how that tab (I think for the b screw) was oriented around the hanger but I think it's on correctly, yes?

After getting the RD back on and doing some minor adjustments, I noticed the FD rubbing the chain pretty bad (all during the RD adjustment, to the point of being worried about rubbing a groove in the FD). I tried doing barrel adjustment on the FD to get the chain off but no luck, due to the cable not moving at all. I noticed I could turn the barrel adjuster clockwise our counter clockwise and the cable tension wouldn't loosen or tighten. What is the cause of this?

All sram x7 drivetrain.

Thanks in advance.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    After getting the RD back on and doing some minor adjustments, I noticed the FD rubbing the chain pretty bad (all during the RD adjustment, to the point of being worried about rubbing a groove in the FD). I tried doing barrel adjustment on the FD to get the chain off but no luck, due to the cable not moving at all. I noticed I could turn the barrel adjuster clockwise our counter clockwise and the cable tension wouldn't loosen or tighten. What is the cause of this?

All sram x7 drivetrain.

Thanks in advance.
    Rear derailleur looks good.

As for your barrel adjuster...

It looks like there's too much slack in the cable (difficult to say w/out seeing the entire run of cable from shifter to derailleur). That end of the housing in the photo with the ferrule on the end should be pushed all the way in to the adjuster. You'll need to loosen the bolt that secures the cable on your derailleur and pull the slack out and then adjust/tighten it back down. It could take a few tries your first time, but will become much easier/faster in the future.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Aligned bent hanger, now FD issue?

I think I turned the barrel adjuster too far out causing it not to take up any cable into the shifter housing.

Would I need to undo the cable at the derailleur and then try to screw the barrel all the way in, then back off 2 turns, then pull the cable snug at the derailleur. Then go about adjustment?

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    I think I turned the barrel adjuster too far out causing it not to take up any cable into the shifter housing.

Would I need to undo the cable at the derailleur and then try to screw the barrel all the way in, then back off 2 turns, then pull the cable snug at the derailleur. Then go about adjustment?
    That should do the trick. Just make sure your cable housing is sitting all the way in to the barrel adjuster - you should be be good to go after that!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    jerry, sorry for the off topic question but in another thread we were discussing the weight of the hobgoblin. thought you had posted a while back that yours was around 30 lbs. Am I correct? And was youes a 17 or 15? We were just trying to estimate the weight of the XO model until I actually receive it! Thanks, Mitch

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    jerry, sorry for the off topic question but in another thread we were discussing the weight of the hobgoblin. thought you had posted a while back that yours was around 30 lbs. Am I correct? And was youes a 17 or 15? We were just trying to estimate the weight of the XO model until I actually receive it! Thanks, Mitch
    No problem Mitch, I bathroom scaled my 17" HG at 30lbs even, no pedals. So with Tubeless and some lighter spec parts, you should do pretty well!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    They say on the website that the avaerage weight was 27 but im thinking more around 24-25 plus with tubeless like you mentioned maybe less. Not bad for an aluminum bike!