mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Airborne's New Goblin

This looks like a nice setup, and a heck of a price.

Airborne Bicycles. NEW Goblin

mtbr member
    Nice, hell of a deal for that build, cheap enough that its worth strong consideration againts a $2,300 Stumpy knowing that I could spend $800 on a 15mm fork and better rolling gear and have a real cracker.

I do miss the bright green though
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    Nice, hell of a deal for that build, cheap enough that its worth strong consideration againts a $2,300 Stumpy knowing that I could spend $800 on a 15mm fork and better rolling gear and have a real cracker.

I do miss the bright green though
    It still has a little bright green on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ooo sexi, I def am hoping I can still find a lime green goblin after I go to upgrade sometime in the future. I love the color (almost spent double and got it instead of the guardian because of it even lol)

mtbr member
    The color scheme is good. I like the lime green too, but the new one is good too.

I like the move to 38/24 gearing.

mtbr member
    As a owner of the green one, this new Goblin looks pretty good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    They've dropped the lime green Goblin down to $1050 as well. I'm currently waiting on a Guardian to show up- glad I pulled the trigger on it before getting tempted on that one!
    09 Norco Fluid 2 | 10 Trek Fuel EX 8 | 12 Airborne Guardian

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wow. I am interested. Currently riding a "state of the art" for 1998 full suspension K2. Recently got into shape and started to ride again. Don't think I deserve a new full suspension since I have not been riding lots, but this price point is appealing.

I know this is a loaded question, but will I be satisfied with this even though it is not full suspension? Just want to wait to see if I get crazy back into it to justify a $3k new full suspension purchase...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovespicyfood View Post
    Wow. I am interested. Currently riding a "state of the art" for 1998 full suspension K2. Recently got into shape and started to ride again. Don't think I deserve a new full suspension since I have not been riding lots, but this price point is appealing.

I know this is a loaded question, but will I be satisfied with this even though it is not full suspension? Just want to wait to see if I get crazy back into it to justify a $3k new full suspension purchase...
    I'd say you would be satisfied with a hardtail. When I got back into riding this year after a decade hiatus, I went straight back to full squish bikes before finally talking myself into picking up a hardtail (which has now turned into 3 hardtails.)

I was initially nervous about not having as much fun on a hardtail and that it wouldn't be capable of riding where I wanted to go. Now I've realized that both hardtails and FS bikes are all the same amount of fun and I'd be just as happy if I had to downsize to a single bike of either design.

If I were to start over again, I would go directly for an entry level hardtail and see what happened from there. It'll take you getting out and riding again for a few months to even see how your skills and daily riding develop before being able to make a more informed decision on the perfect bike to suit you and your trails.

As it evolves naturally, you can't really make this decision in advance so get a good basic HT, realize that if you stick with it then it won't be your last bike anyways, and hit the trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by .bg. View Post
    I'd say you would be satisfied with a hardtail. When I got back into riding this year after a decade hiatus, I went straight back to full squish bikes before finally talking myself into picking up a hardtail (which has now turned into 3 hardtails.)

I was initially nervous about not having as much fun on a hardtail and that it wouldn't be capable of riding where I wanted to go. Now I've realized that both hardtails and FS bikes are all the same amount of fun and I'd be just as happy if I had to downsize to a single bike of either design.

If I were to start over again, I would go directly for an entry level hardtail and see what happened from there. It'll take you getting out and riding again for a few months to even see how your skills and daily riding develop before being able to make a more informed decision on the perfect bike to suit you and your trails.

As it evolves naturally, you can't really make this decision in advance so get a good basic HT, realize that if you stick with it then it won't be your last bike anyways, and hit the trails!
    Thank you very much for your thoughts! For the $, this is probably the best deal out there? I figure I will keep my ancient K2 FS and if I get really into it with this bike, I can buy a modern FS down the road...

I like the idea of a direct to consumer bike like Airborne as I liked to build my bikes back in the day and I appreciate a nice deal. I heard Airborne is coming out with a new FS?

Pete

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thank you very much for your thoughts! For the $, this is probably the best deal out there? I figure I will keep my ancient K2 FS and if I get really into it with this bike, I can buy a modern FS down the road...

I like the idea of a direct to consumer bike like Airborne as I liked to build my bikes back in the day and I appreciate a nice deal. I heard Airborne is coming out with a new FS?

Pete
    Yes, go ahead and get the new goblin and then later on get the new squishy the hobgoblin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Man, that's a racehorse deal for sure.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Pete
    No problem!

I'd say the Goblin is a great deal- if you search around you'll see a good bit of stellar reviews on it even when it was $100 more. Plus it'd be a great way to try out both a hardtail and a 29'er and see how well either of these attributes work in your daily riding. Good luck getting back out there- I'm having even more fun this time around than I was when I stopped 10 years ago. Hopefully, you'll have a similar experience!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Decatur_Tide View Post
    Yes, go ahead and get the new goblin and then later on get the new squishy the hobgoblin.
    You weren't kidding...

From Airborne Bicycles HobGoblin… Bikes, Beer, and Birds… In No Particular Order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Airborne's New Goblin-526107_10150918463749259_1165092320_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    hobgob will def be my first full squish. I knew this since they mentioned it on the phone when I was getting my guardian order in. looks like it'll be an amazing bike for the money. I think the SRAM X0 version will be under $3k too if I remember correctly