Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Airborne Toxin, reviews, thoughts?

So, with 3 lift accessed bike parks within an hour or so of my house I've been SERIOUSLY thinking about a gravity/park bike. I always have fun at those places on my 5" trail bike, but it's not worth the abuse and the bike is simply not made for it.

I stumbled across the toxin, and I really like the way it looks. I like the components, i think i like the geometry (unfortunately cannot ride one before buying), and I really like the price.

So that said, I've been looking for info on this bike and it's pretty scarce and there aren't many full reviews. I know the bike just came out this year, but does anyone here own one? how do you like it? I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts about the bike who has ridden one at a bike park.

I'll be riding bike parks almost exclusively with it, might hike it up some other local trails for fun though here and there. I live in northern NM and we have angelfire which is a pretty awesome resort, pajajito, and now taos. It seems perfect for my area.

Thoughts?

Airborne Flight Crew
    Hey Fire, I live in ABQ and ride a Pathogen, sort of the Toxin's big brother. Wish I had some firsthand experience to share regarding the Toxin, but I can say that the Pathogen is a great bike for all places you mentioned, (if not a little over kill for Taos!) I'm not suggesting you necessarily should look at the Pathogen, just remarking that the Toxin would be plenty of bike for most of the places you mention, even some of the shuttle trails in ABQ and Santa Fe. Pajarito too, though I have to say that place is a little more on the steep on unforgiving side - but I know several skilled riders who shred that place on 6-7 inch single crown bikes. You'd get by nicely with it, I'm sure.

I know there's some Toxin owners out there that will likely chime in...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Airborne Product Dude
    The next issue of Mountain Bike Action is supposed to feature a test of the Toxin.

Stay tuned.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Hey Fire, I live in ABQ and ride a Pathogen, sort of the Toxin's big brother. Wish I had some firsthand experience to share regarding the Toxin, but I can say that the Pathogen is a great bike for all places you mentioned, (if not a little over kill for Taos!) I'm not suggesting you necessarily should look at the Pathogen, just remarking that the Toxin would be plenty of bike for most of the places you mention, even some of the shuttle trails in ABQ and Santa Fe. Pajarito too, though I have to say that place is a little more on the steep on unforgiving side - but I know several skilled riders who shred that place on 6-7 inch single crown bikes. You'd get by nicely with it, I'm sure.

I know there's some Toxin owners out there that will likely chime in...
    Thanks for the insight. I love the pathogen, but right now I'm leaning towards a smaller more flickable bike, and leaning away from a "plow" bike. I really just want something that can be ridden at a bike park often without running it into the ground (like my current trail bike).

You weren't at taos by any chance on the opening weekend? With a airborne "prototype" on the back of your car? I was drooling over that bike in the parking lot, only to look it up online and find it is not released yet :P

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The next issue of Mountain Bike Action is supposed to feature a test of the Toxin.

Stay tuned.

Jeremy
    You have my attention!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    bump, anyone here have one? It's really tempting, but without any reviews or first hand experience it's hard to pull the trigger.

Airborne should send me one (or sell me one at a discount), and I'll ride the piss out of it at my local bike parks and do some reviews

Airborne Flight Crew
    lol... yeah, that was me on opening day. The prototype did good on those trails too, but anything bigger than their "flow trail" would be asking a lot of it. Toxin sounds like it's right up your alley.

There's an east coast guy on the forum that just made a pretty nice Toxin build, I'll try and see if I can lure him to this thread. Here's a video he made of his first run at Highland mtb park, probably a close equal to what you'd see at Angelfire...

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    lol... yeah, that was me on opening day. The prototype did good on those trails too, but anything bigger than their "flow trail" would be asking a lot of it. Toxin sounds like it's right up your alley.
    Nice! What were you riding up there opening day? There werent many people there, maybe we saw each other. I was on a bright yellow titus motolite, green helmet. Was a blast!

That said, i rode the berminator 3 times or so and it was certainly asking a bit too much out of my trail rig. I'm going to get something soon, and right now I'm deciding between a used DH/FR bike in the ~1500 range, or a new toxin. I really like new things, and the toxin looks sexy to me, but I'd really love to hear some more reviews of it. Maybe the dude from that video you linked will chime in, looks like he's been putting it through the ringer.

Thanks for your help thus far though!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hello fire.Jerry brought it to my attention that you would like info on the toxin.I will start by saying that this thing shreds.If flick-able and nimble is what your looking for this bike is fast ,flick-able and stable.It has taken all the abuse I can throw at it and hasn't winced once.I have taken it to highland for my first visit and had a blast.It has survived a couple hard crashes,lots of drops,rockgardens and it jumps and fly's like a dream.This bike has upped my confidence level which in turn has made me a better rider.I have yet to finish my full review, but here are a few links to show you what she can do.Hope this helps

AIRBORNE BICYCLES TOXIN JUMP SESSION 2014 GOPRO HERO3 BLACK EDITION - YouTube

Airborne bicycles Toxin drops and jumps Gopro Hd hero 3 black - YouTube

Freeride full suspension Airborne bicycles Toxin and Marauder Gopro hero 3 black - YouTube

If you have any other questions ,feel free to ask away.I will do what i can

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    and here is a speed run shot just for fun

Airborne Toxin DH Speed run # 2 GoPro 3 Black - YouTube

Airborne Flight Crew
    Thanks for stopping in ACE!

Fire - I was riding my Pathogen mostly, did a run on the Proto too (it worked great on the skills trails).

Pathogen was fun on the Berminator, but almost too much bike. It was still a blast and the extra travel really let me send a couple hits a LOT farther than I did on the Prototype. It was very forgiving.

I think, if you're not racing DH, the Toxin a perfect set up for the NM bike park scene. It might be a little rough on trails like "World Cup" at Angelfire, or Bonecrusher at Pajarito, but it will shine on all the other stuff; Boulderdash is made for that kind of bike, Angle's plunge, Lower Boogie... that bike would rally on those trails. It would do nicely on the Sandia DH trails too.

I think ACE is working on a review of the bike, but it might be a bit before he's done. I look forward to it.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thx for all the love Jerry and I totally agree.It is not a full on downhill rig.It is a playful plush and Flick-able park bike.I honestly think it's what fire is in the market for and the price and build quality are tops,not to mention Airborne's customer service

My review on the TOXIN will be finished within the coming weeks.I will be breaking down the specs of the complete as well as letting the cat out of the bag on the specs of my frame up build.It will also contain a ride segment with clips of drops jumps,berms,crashes and speed shots

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the info all! I'm really leaning towards one now. One question for you guys, i know you can get the white frame as a complete bike, and a green one as frame only, but it doesn't look like you get color options on the complete. Is the color going to change between years, or is there any other way to get a different color?

I ask because both my brother and I are looking at buying a complete, but we really don't want the exact same bike (down to the color), any factory solution for this other than spray painting one (ew, lol)?

Airborne Flight Crew
    Well, you could send the frame to me and I could whip up a custom paint job for you J/K!

That's really a question that only Jeremy or Airborne's customer service can answer regarding colors in the coming years. But for now, white only on the completes...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Here is a video review I did, the actual riding part of the video doesn't really do the bike justice, but depending on time I have tomorrow I will upload a video that shows me going off of bigger jumps and drop offs and put that up here for ya to see.
    -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25u9Hawjr_0

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Tulsa, I had come across your review already and have watched it a time or two now, thanks!

I'd love to see more videos from you. Bike looks great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Here is the video I just made today where I have the bike going off of bigger jumps and drop offs. Hope you enjoy! (:
    Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR-yvD2jhOk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    For the price the Toxin can't be beat! I rode my Toxin at Whistler all last week and can say that the bike rides great. The bike is super fun and very playful/flickable making it a great park bike. It soaks up the tech just fine as well as I rode lots of the trails that Whistler has to offer. If anyone has ridden Whistler before here are some of the trails I did to show you what the bike can really do! (Schleyer, A-Line, Dirt Merchant, Crabapple Hits, Dwayne Johnson, etc...) I did all of that on the completely stock Toxin and it handled the double black and pro lines just fine. As far as upgrades, I would maybe consider a new fork, shock, and brakes as they are fairly low spec. But for the price, you have room to make the bike how you really want. For anyone on the edge, go for it! Its a great bike! I'm hoping to have a video done soon of my trip!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Sweet can't wait to see the video, make sure to post it here!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Great stuff guys!! Just too much awesomeness

Here is another short Edit of the toxin to add to it :

Airborne Toxin Full suspension Freeride park bike edit 2014 GoPro Hero3 black edition - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Alright, here is my video from Whistler. The Toxin was great!

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by trebeol View Post
    Alright, here is my video from Whistler. The Toxin was great!

Sick man, nice riding.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Wow Trebeol, you were really ripping on that thing! Nice riding, it looks like the bike took everything you could throw at it just fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sick man, nice riding.
    I agree! That was sweet.

My finger is on the "BUY" button 4 1 of these.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    how rebuildable r the pivots? do they look like they will last??

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post

Stay tuned.

Jeremy
    Thats cool. thx 4 the heads up!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast